Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 extractor questions

bcp

I broke the extractor in my Brazos Limited Pro 2011 today.  I called Brazos to ask about a replacement and they have a tuned version for $40 and a non-tuned version for about $20.  

Before I order a replacement, I wonder if I should go another route like a Wilson Bullet Proof extractor with a lifetime replacement guarantee?  Any recommendations on extractors and is there much difference between a tuned or non-tuned version?  I see lots of videos on tuning extractors and it doesn't look difficult but I'm open to suggestions.  

Does it make any difference on which extractor if it's a 1911 or 2011?  This is my first 2011 so I'm not sure about that but I see them listed both ways.  

Also, would you replace the firing pin stop or any other parts at the same time?  It was running fine before the extractor broke.  This is my first extractor breakage so thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Just buy an Aftec and call it a day. I have never been a fan of having to deal with tuning an extractor from time to time and I don't want to deal with it failing in a match. You will have to modify the firing pin stop so the after will pivot correctly. I installed one on my 2011 build and it ran perfectly without any modifications. 

I hadn't considered the Aftec.  They have a lot of favorable reviews on Dawson Precision's store page.  Would you also replace the firing pin stop or just modify the existing one?

It's $85 but I will certainly consider it.  I didn't know Todd Jarret is using one.  That's a big testimonial.

Extractor probably broke because it wasn't set up properly.  As for replacements, AFTEC is the best choice.  I've used them in every 9 and 40 I've built since they first came on the market prob 15+ years ago, and never had one fail.  I don't even replace the springs, unless I lose one.

44 minutes ago, bcp said:

I hadn't considered the Aftec.  They have a lot of favorable reviews on Dawson Precision's store page.  Would you also replace the firing pin stop or just modify the existing one?

It's $85 but I will certainly consider it.  I didn't know Todd Jarret is using one.  That's a big testimonial.

I just used the existing one but had to radius the corners to make it work. The instructions lay it all out pretty well. Good luck!

Another Aftec vote...I'm definitely listening.  The design looks pretty interesting with how it keeps tension.

Is there any difference between an extractor for a 1911 or 2011?  I would think not.

Should any other parts be replaced at the same time as the extractor?  

Thanks.

No difference between 1911 and 2011.  But they are caliber specific.  So make sure you get the correct one.  As for parts to change, maybe the firing pin stop.  Depends on how it fits and what's been done to it already.  Also keep in mind that the AFTEC is not a drop in part.  It needs to be set up correctly.  Both at the back end and the front end.  Springs may also need to be adjusted.  On the hook end, I would suggest that you NOT follow the extractor setup advice on Brazos web site.  That's not the correct way to do it.  

Half a dozen of one six of the other, Used the Aftec,, it works,,, but so does a Wilson, Ed Brown, STI, plain Jane. Never really had an issue with them.
To me Id only spend the 4 times  cost on an Aftec if I was setting up a 38 Super, so I didnt have to sort 38 Super from Super comp. 
No I also wouldnt pay $40 for a "tuuned" extractor. Not even sure what that is, as you cant really tune one unless you have the gun. Well I guess you could chamfer the bottom.
Pretty simple to dress up an extractor and inspect/adjust tension. Usually not really required much.
Yes your 2011 will use a standard 1911 extractor.
As you are heading down the 1911/2011 road. Id suggest picking up the book,
"The Colt .45 Automatic: A shop Manual, by Jerry Kuhnhausen.