Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feedback on XDm OSP for CO

JGus

Now that the XDm OSP has been out for awhile, what's the feedback from those who are using one?

I'm currently using an XDm 5.25 with Springer mount for CO, but thinking about the OSP.

I've got one.  I didn't do the Springer mount for my 5.25s because I keep those for Production and Limited Divisions.  When the OSP came out, I was like "PROBLEM SOLVED".

I don't think that you'd gain anything from the switch to an OSP.  They weigh the same as a similarly-equipped 5.25 and the reduction in barrel length would necessitate a 0.1 or 0.2 grain increase in powder to maintain the same Power Factor.

Most who've chosen to use the 5.25 either already had one or they claim that they wanted the extra "front end weight".  That is actually a fallacy.  The balance of the 4.5 and the 5.25 are almost exactly the same (because of the cut-out in the front of the slide on the long gun).  Pictured below is a rig that I set up to test the weight of the front end of the guns.  Both run 13.1 oz to 13.2 oz on the front end.

But...don't let me talk you out of buying another gun!  If you get the OSP, you can convert your 5.25 back to Production or Limited trim....

20171030_184432.jpg

I myself just used the Springer rear site mount for CO. It does ride higher on the slide, but when I actually practice, getting the dot is really no different then my Glock 34 MOS, it just places your sight to the target on a different plane. I prefer the XDm for shooting, but it is in .40. What I have to figure out this winter is am I really at any disadvantage using a .40 minor instead of a 9. I give up 2-3 rounds per mag, but that just come down to planning. 

Pretty hard to shoot a 32 round stage without a mag change somewhere along the line.

missing a bit of the point i a lightened slide. It isnt balance it is moving mass. Thats why folks add tungston guide rods then lighten the slide. Both these guns weigh the same. 5.25 has a heavier barrel which tells me the slide is lighter in the 5.25, So by going to a lightened slide in the 5.25 you are transfering mass from the moving parts to the stationary part which should results in a flatter shooting gun.   Initial recoil should be the same,, but its the second recoil at slide rear, and third recoil at slide close that benifits from a lighter slide.
Of course all this is gonna be so insignificant to an actual match score it probably wouldnt matter.
Id buy an OSP in 5.25 if available over the shorter, but wouldnt feel hindered.. I mean come on we are talking mousefart level ammo.

I shot my first CO with a friend’s XDm OSP with Leupold DeltaPoint, and thought it was fantastic. I only had about 5 minutes to try out the gun before the match, but I had very few problems finding the dot after the first couple of draws. I can’t compare against the 5.25, but the gun feels well balanced.