Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How are the 1301's holding up?

WS6

How are they doing, durability (broken things) and reliability (failures observed not attributed to modification/user error)?

They have been out long enough now that I suspect some of the high volume shooters have had a chance to wear them out, and I am curious how they are doing, especially compared to known quantities such as the M1 and M2 benelli's.

I am also curious what a good maintenance schedule for spring replacement is, and any other parts that need an eye taken to them.

Ultimately, how many rounds are they seeming to go before minor niggling things break, and how long are they going before they are "hard broke" (back to the factory)?

Also, Beretta claims something like 10,000 rounds between cleanings is "possible". Thoughts on this (aside from it bothering your OCD)?

Speaking of that, t he guy made his coil-spring compressor to remove the gas piston. Is it necessary? Can I remove it by hand? Do I NEED a spring compressor, if so, is there one specifically that this forum has found to be a good solution?

I'm somewhere shy of 10k on mine. The cam pin is kinda ugly on one side, it's reversible so I flipped it. Not sure at what point it will be junk but I'm still going to replace it soon just to be safe. Had one failure to feed this year, one failure to eject last year. I don't really clean it per se, I just wipe down important parts to keep an eye on wear. 

4 hours ago, WS6 said:

Speaking of that, t he guy made his coil-spring compressor to remove the gas piston. Is it necessary? Can I remove it by hand? Do I NEED a spring compressor, if so, is there one specifically that this forum has found to be a good solution?

Oh yeah, you need a spring compressor!!!!  You can remove it by hand, but you risk pulling the last couple of threads off the barrel gas block and unless you can benchpress over 300lbs and have 3 hands you won't get the nut back on without a spring compressor.

I just made one out of some scrap strap steel and a long 1/4-20 threaded bolt that looks about as redneck as the one on Practical Shotgun.

I can't believe there is not an actual tool for this. I only bench 285, and only have 2 hands, so I need an actual tool. I don't feel like fabbing anything up, either, if there is a proper tool out there?

I don't think that will work.  I like the spring cup, but it is too small, the Beretta spring is 1.4" in diameter.  I also think it won't have enough leverage since it's for small valve springs on lawn mower engines which are generally pretty light, plus the spring only has to be compressed a little over half an inch, just enough to remove the retainer. 

Just to get an idea of how heavy the spring is, I compressed one of my spare springs against the bathroom scale.  The spring is about 3 inches long and to get the nut started you have to compress it about 1.5-1.75 inches.  The scale was showing about 120lbs.

1 minute ago, TonytheTiger said:

Dumb question time: what is the need to remove the piston?

I hate owning a firearm that is "dealer service only". Also, it corrodes in there (see video). So failure to remove the piston on your own means you need to send the gun to Beretta just to clean it. That's worse than a vintage Ferrari.

http://www.practical-shotgun.com/beretta-1301-gas-valve

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 3:34 PM, TonytheTiger said:

Dumb question time: what is the need to remove the piston?

Not the piston.  Removing the Gas Valve, and Gas Valve Spring.

http://www.practical-shotgun.com/543

The main reason for me was my shotgun would run 1oz 1170fps loads when it was new, it became unreliable with those loads after about 1,500 rounds, but still ran fine with 1 1/8oz 1145fps loads.  After about another 1,500 rounds it became unreliable with those loads and would only run with 3 dram or higher loads.

I ordered a new spring (C90386) and ran into the same problem described here:

http://www.practical-shotgun.com/beretta-blink-spring-update

The new spring was shorter than the original spring and the same diameter wire.  So I  made a spacer and installed it with the original spring, which fixed the problem.

I also discovered that the 1301 Tactical had a different part number for it's Gas Valve Spring (C95447).  I ordered one and it is the same length as the original spring and has a larger diameter wire than my original spring.  I removed the old spring and the spacer and installed the 1301 Tactical spring.  It runs the 1oz loads reliably with just the new spring and no spacer.

If you're looking for spare parts for the 1301, Midwest Gun Works has a good selection of parts, at reasonable prices and shipping.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/beretta-1301/parts.html#perpage:48

After 2.5K or so, and in really cold whether, it stopped cycling.  The gas piston had too much carbon covering up the gas ports.  Took it out, scraped it off, and good as new.  I would check that every 1K or so going forward.  That's the only issue I've had.  The gun is great!

• 2 weeks later...

I had about 3000 rounds on my 1301 and the trigger group fell apart on me. I forget what the name of the part was, but there is a left and right bow inside the trigger, one of those broke and tweaked some other stuff. I couldn't find the specific parts so I ended up putting a whole new trigger group in it which cost about $300. Other than that, the gun ran great. 

I just bought one, so this info is good to know. I was on the fence between this and an M2, but based on how I felt after shooting a Montefeltro and A400 side by side, went with the Beretta. I have a +5 nordic on mine, any of you guys running this, and if so, how much spring did you leave out the end uncompressed? I went a little longer than most places recommend, since I can always cut more off but can't put it back, but it feels super tight, the 10th round barely fits.

good info. I just picked one  up myself so this is good info. I was really tossed up between the m3k, 1301, and m2. my LGS had a 1301 for 899 so that sealed the deal for me. my "10 day waiting period" is up on saturday so I can pick it up. Waiting period is a pain but at least I was able to order my tubes and I have them when I pick up the shotgun.

from what I have read it appears to be reliable. I dont anticipate having issues as I dont anticipate I will be shooting 3gun as much as I shoot uspsa. I might try to make it out once a month or 1 every two months 

any spare parts I should always keep on hand ? I see the pin breach bolt seems to be a wearable item. 

On 11/9/2017 at 12:35 PM, EvaninMS said:

If you are going with a magazine extension, might as well go ahead and order a second spring for it. They are cheap, and this way you only have to pay for shipping once, vs ordering one by itself later. Keep it in your range bag.

If adding a +5 tube you'll need a longer spring. I ordered 2 with my tube, and keep one in the range bag.

• 3 months later...

Just an update, because I hate open-ended deals with no follow-up from an OP.

After looking at what it would take to fully service the 1301 (spring compressor, etc.), as well as the fact that I wanted an SBS, deep down in my heart of hearts, I have a Benelli M4 Entry model with C-stock 3.5 months pending at present.