Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

De-priming upside down primers

GregInAtl

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is NEVER worth the danger to mess around with live primers. I used to punch them out, but I gave up on that a long time ago. Dispose of them properly as-is and move on.

What is the cost of one piece of brass and one primer compared to the long-term effects of an injury? Even if the odds are low, not worth it in my book. Even if it is 10 or 20 of them, I would toss them.

"When in doubt, throw them out."

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:57 PM, Ray_Z said:

I get an occasional upside down primer when I load. I save the cases until I'm through loading. then, after emptying the powder measure and putting all the powder away, I do as the others have said. Yes, I'm a tight ass old German. I try to reuse those primers. But only in practice rounds. I will first check the primers to see if any of the anvils fell out. Safety glasses  are a must.  

Same here!

lol you guys act like this stuff is going to kill you. It doesn't happen often that I get flipped ones, but I don't take any extra care when decapping them with the 550. Granted I've never done it with Federal primers, but I mostly hand-prime those anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

It's all great until one goes off when you're trying to get it out. For a $.03 primer and $.03-$.15 or so piece of brass, it's not worth the extra laundry for the occasional screw up. Now, if you really screwed the pooch and have 40 or 50, I guess I'd come up with some way of getting them out without setting them off. With the cup upside down,  the primer is most likely going to fall apart rolling around in the trash before something sets it off.

With the .50 it is .45 for the primer + 1.50 to 5.00 for the case + any custom work to case

...but given the component cost and the need to reload each round individually by hand, it begs the question: how are you getting a flipped primer when loading .50BMG? ;-)

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Want2BS8ed said:

...but given the component cost and the need to reload each round individually by hand, it begs the question: how are you getting a flipped primer when loading .50BMG? ;-)

M

Load enough rounds and sooner or later you find yourself staring at one wondering how that happened.

9 hours ago, Want2BS8ed said:

• 1 month later...

I've done it a few times. I do the same thing I do for depriming any live primers of questionable origin (mostly range pick up live rounds). I wear eye & ear pro, do it very slowly, on a single stage press using a universal decapping die.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2017 at 2:40 PM, Pasley said:

I like the way you think.  I'm curious what people think is going to happen if one does go off, assuming you don't have an open container of gasoline or black powder next to your bench.  I loaded some with one of those  Lee kits when I was a teenager.  The kind where you beat the primer in with a mallet.  I popped quite a few with that thing, still have all fingers and eyes.

I hand prime my rifle brass and had one go off.  It's loud and does flash.   It was a crimped primer pocket and I had been priming for a couple hours and just squeezed it in...got a little surprised when it went bang.  Rang my ears pretty good.

On 10/21/2017 at 3:37 PM, GregInAtl said:

I'm more concerned with proper disposal than I am reusing them. I'd hate to have them discharge somewhere else besides in my gun.

If you are not concerned with reusing it, then just fire it in the gun.

I've done that many times before I figured out that I can push them out with the press and re-use them.

Which I have done with over 200 rounds.

I have a Hornady single stage mounted next to my 650 that I leave a universal decapping die in.  It takes less effort to pop out an upside down primer than it does a new, unfired one.  The sharp edge of the primer has nothing to hold onto, unless it went into a very swaged primer pocket.  

I've never had one go off, and most get reused.   If the primer was mangled rather than seated upside down, I quickly chamfer the primer pocket on my Lyman case prep before I waste another primer in it.