Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

De-priming upside down primers

GregInAtl

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Safe? No. Can it be done? Probably. Worth the attempt? Don't know..

Me?

I put several drops of oil on the open primer anvil and soak it a day or two...or three.

Run it dead slow through the de-capper then toss the brass in the "to be cleaned" bucket.

But that's just me and I am peculiar so.....

5 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

They'd have to be awfully valuable for me to go thru the bother - but that's just me    :) 

I'm more concerned with proper disposal than I am reusing them. I'd hate to have them discharge somewhere else besides in my gun.

I get an occasional upside down primer when I load. I save the cases until I'm through loading. then, after emptying the powder measure and putting all the powder away, I do as the others have said. Yes, I'm a tight ass old German. I try to reuse those primers. But only in practice rounds. I will first check the primers to see if any of the anvils fell out. Safety glasses  are a must.  

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:46 AM, aug1911 said:

I do without any problem. I just run them back through the size decap die real slowly.

Never had one go off.

Same here.  Go easy.  They push right out.  Might want to wear safety glasses, just to be as safe as possible.

42 minutes ago, M1A4ME said:

Same here.  Go easy.  They push right out.  Might want to wear safety glasses, just to be as safe as possible.

ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES WHILE LOADING!!!! 

this is one of them places where having a single stage press is nice. preferably one with a hollow ram tube. press them out slowly. if by chance you do set off the primer the blast is down and into the hollow tube of the ram. for something common like 9mm, 40, or 45 acp, you really have to decide if its worth the time and hassle.

Just went through 10 practice rounds that I had re-reloaded because of upside down primers [ 650 primer assembly came loose ] even though I had marks on the primers from decaping them after reloading them fro the second time, they all fired perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2017 at 11:10 AM, 3gunDQ said:

ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES WHILE LOADING!!!! 

What he said x10!  Safety, especially of your eyes is of paramount importance and cannot be overstated.

BTW: Disregard the "oil in the primer" advice.  Primers today are much less impervious to oil and you might have to let them set for months before the oil had any effect, even if you use Kroil.  

2 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

If all you're concerned about is proper disposal then put them in a vice and set them off with a hammer and nail.

I like the way you think.  I'm curious what people think is going to happen if one does go off, assuming you don't have an open container of gasoline or black powder next to your bench.  I loaded some with one of those  Lee kits when I was a teenager.  The kind where you beat the primer in with a mallet.  I popped quite a few with that thing, still have all fingers and eyes.

On 11/5/2017 at 10:46 AM, Steve RA said:

I think what you are describing would be "more impervious to oil", not less.

Yeah - you are of course right!  What I really meant was "less susceptible" but my brain and hands didn't communicate the message. :o

• 2 weeks later...