Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Staging the DA Trigger vs Pull-Through Method

AzNooB

For shooting DA/SA, I have been taught to stage the DA trigger by pulling it back to right before the breaking point (95%), and then once ready to fire, pull it to the breaking point (the remaining 5%). Using this method while during slow fire yields incredible accuracy (2" groups at 25 yards). However, it's difficult for me to do at speed and risks a potential ND. In dry fire practice, I'll pull past the breaking point before I intend to fire about half the time.

An acquaintance of mine says that the "pull-through" method is safer and can yield the same accuracy. Is there a method to "pull-through" and maintain the same type of control of the trigger? 

I want to continue working on what I learned, but if I can pull-through, get the same results, and be safer, that sounds like a better technique.

Dry fire double action in front of a white wall and do nothing but watch that front site.  With a firm enough grip and good trigger pull you can execute a double action pull in a single stage at the same level of accuracy as your single action shots.  Two stage on the double action is too slow for competition.

For USPSA / competitive use, learn to roll through the double action stroke. In a class taught by a multiple-national-championship DA/SA Production GM, it was emphasized that the hammer and trigger should never be allowed to stop moving once they start.

Roll through and align the sights simultaneously.

You’ll get good at it. After 10,000 practice strokes.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

JJ teaches the staging method in his classes for a DA first pull.

I use the pull through method. I think watching the Earnest Langdon videos on YT "Fear Not the Double Action Shot" are the very best for learning how to do it right. I also feel that super light springs are a crutch for poor technique.

But that's just me....

I pull the trigger very aggressively and all at once whether it's DA or SA. If you can hone your ability in practice to pull the trigger this way without allowing the sights to leave your desired target area, it transfers very well to match shooting where adrenaline and nerves tend to make fine motor skills like trigger staging a bit more sloppy.

17 hours ago, AzNooB said:

Is there a method to "pull-through" and maintain the same type of control of the trigger? 

A well developed grip is what keeps the gun on target through aggressive trigger manipulation. There are tons of posts on this subject on this forum that I suggest you read through.

Like most everyone else, I too do the pull through.  Like Jake says, a correct grip will help.  

I will admit, early on I felt it was something that was impossible but now I'm confident.  I do make sure to practice the DA every session. 

Funny how those two go together, isn’t it?

A long time ago I had a friend who told me about a gunsmith’s “action job” he was charging $$$ for on wheelguns: he’d coat the internals with polishing compound and then rig a drill up with a crank in the chuck so that it pulled the trigger a few thousand times.

Not sure I believe the story, but it would damn sure work.

In my experience, the pull through is more universally accepted method. I do think that is important to not be dogmatic and let your sights dictate. Ernest Langdon was mentioned above, he is a big advocate of a non-stop trigger motion. I watched him shoot very small targets in DA once. There were times when hammer stopped moving - when he lost required sight pic or alignment and needed to readjust that before finishing the pull. It doesn't mean he was staging, he wasn't or didn't intend to, but from outside it looked all the same as if he was staging.

I do intend to pull through every time. However, if I am practicing a 25 yards upper A shot and the sight pic is not there, I will stop pulling until I get a pic.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:01 PM, AzNooB said:

For shooting DA/SA, I have been taught to stage the DA trigger by pulling it back to right before the breaking point (95%), and then once ready to fire, pull it to the breaking point (the remaining 5%). Using this method while during slow fire yields incredible accuracy (2" groups at 25 yards). However, it's difficult for me to do at speed and risks a potential ND. In dry fire practice, I'll pull past the breaking point before I intend to fire about half the time.

An acquaintance of mine says that the "pull-through" method is safer and can yield the same accuracy. Is there a method to "pull-through" and maintain the same type of control of the trigger? 

I want to continue working on what I learned, but if I can pull-through, get the same results, and be safer, that sounds like a better technique.

I do recall this method when I first became a police officer, back in the very early 80's.  As years went by we found this to be ok for bullseye shooting but not for anything else.  Keep your eye on the front site and just pull through the trigger in a constant pull, do not slap it keep the gun level and follow through.  After a while you will be able to do it and keep the same groups

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...