Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 minor load for short COAL

tomv

I was shooting 115 gr Black Bullets in my DVC Open for steel with COAL of 1.135. I recently bought a DVC Steel gun and tried to use some of the ammo I had on hand. No go. The max COAL the steel gun will chamber with these bullets is about 1.040. So now I'm trying to work up a load to use up the rest of the BBI bullets I have on hand. With a COAL of 1.030 I've tried from 6.4 to 5.8 of HS6 so far and in all cases there were pressure signs (extrusion around primer strike) and accuracy was terrible. I'm going down to 5.2 of HS6 to see what happens there. I would prefer to stay with the slower powders for now but will also try some 231 if the lower charge of HS6 doesn't work.

Anyone have experience with loading these bullets this short?

I was shooting 115 gr Black Bullets in my DVC Open for steel with COAL of 1.135. I recently bought a DVC Steel gun and tried to use some of the ammo I had on hand. No go. The max COAL the steel gun will chamber with these bullets is about 1.040. So now I'm trying to work up a load to use up the rest of the BBI bullets I have on hand. With a COAL of 1.030 I've tried from 6.4 to 5.8 of HS6 so far and in all cases there were pressure signs (extrusion around primer strike) and accuracy was terrible. I'm going down to 5.2 of HS6 to see what happens there. I would prefer to stay with the slower powders for now but will also try some 231 if the lower charge of HS6 doesn't work.
Anyone have experience with loading these bullets this short?

Which DVC steel Gun? What is the stated clambering and have you tried any other 9mm bullets?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It's an STI DVC Steel gun. 9X19. Factory ammo works just fine as well as Precision Delta JHP and FMJ. I can run up to 1.140 COAL with those.
That looks like a remake of the STI Steel Master. Can you post a picture of the bullet in question with a standard 9mm bullet?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

@tomv send the barrel to Bevin at Grams Engineering and he will throat the chamber to run virtually any ammo out to 1/150” that you like for around $20-30, and have it back in your hands in 3-5 days.

Assuming the barrel isn’t hardened, like a factory M&P or XD barrel. Of course.

Call him and ask. This process has never caused a loss of accuracy on anything I’ve sent him. He’s very personable and quick to return calls.