Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Combination Seat/Crimp for 9mm

RickT

I'm currently running a 1050 with separate Seat and (Taper) Crimp die and an unused Dillon powder sense die on the shelf.  While I watch my powder level like a hawk, I'm considering going to a combo die so I can use the powder sense after I purchase a Mark 7.  I'm not doing bullseye shooting, just lots of steel challenge practice and matches.  While I load for several different 9mm guns I would have no problem setting up separate combo die for each gun (SA 9mm 1911, Kimber Pro Carry in 9mm, HK P2000 and SA EMP).  I would really, really miss my Redding Competition Seater for working up loads, but I do have an LNL I can set up for that.

So, is there a "best" combo die out there?

2 minutes ago, safeactionjackson said:

I run separate dies on my s1050/Mark 7, no powder check die... and visually inspect that powder has been dispensed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's my inclination and I've found the Dillon powder die to be absolutely reliable, but one of the advantages of the Mark 7 in addition to preserving and old man's right arm (3000 rounds yesterday) is the ability to load the RF100, the MrBF and the case feeder in parallel with press operation.  I'll see how things shake out, but even saving my arm would make the Mark 7 worthwhile.

The other thing I might consider is an inspection camera so I can see the powder level on a small monitor.