Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best CO pistol?

Medicaptain

1 hour ago, RJH said:

I know this is illegal in production and am pretty sure it is illegal in Carry ops.  I would check before I bought a 9 barrel for a 35

"BARRELS: Current rules remain in effect - you may replace the barrel with an OFM or aftermarket barrel which is of the same length, contour and caliber as the original barrel for that model of gun."

No go in carry optics either

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, davsco said:

so for glocks, how much lower is the dot if you get the slide milled vs the MOS plates?  any downside to milling other than being married to one optic?

A quality machine shop with experience can mill the optic cut down just slightly lower than the MOS plate sits. So the dot, on a custom-milled slide will sit lower in the slide equal to the height of the MOS plate plus an extra 10% or so.  It's also a more secure, more repeatable fit due to not having an interface plate in between.  It's a worthwhile upgrade. But then again, there are plenty of people who are shooting CO with their dots mounted on a plate sitting in the rear dovetail, which is miles higher than even an MOS. So... yeah, up to you.

Edited by ClangClang

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 12:28 AM, crmcdm said:

Been shooting CO a few months with an M&P CORE and Vortex Viper. I did an APEX competition trigger kit on it as well, and the combo shoots very well. The Viper failed to hold zero after about 1,000 rounds, and Vortex sent me a new one. I'm about 600 rounds into that one...so we'll see. Gotta love the Vortex warranty--they are great company!  If I had it to do over starting now, I'd look pretty hard at a Sig P320 RX too.  

you have to make sure all trigger work is internal only, like in production.  Nothing visible from the exterior (like the trigger pad itself)

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 2:11 PM, mjl said:

I'm trying out CO using a Canik Tp9Sfx with a Vortex red dot.  Total cost to try it. out about $650, already had a Safariland holster that fit it well.  I may upgrade the holster at a later date if I stick with the division.  The trigger is fine out of the box, though I'm used to a crisp 1911.  I agree the recoil spring is too heavy from the factory - it did not like soft 147 loads at all.  Remington 147s - no problem.  I'm hoping Springer Precision makes a guide rod for it soon to allow use of 1911 recoil springs.

At the range had no problem with factory loads.  Did not have much a learning curve on picking uo the red dot quickly.  I'm looking forward to shooting some matches with it starting in December.   

you can check out the Springco recoil reduction sys.  It is listed for a walther q5, but works great in the canik SFX.  Also, smoky mountain concealment makes a killer competition holster for this pistol.

1 hour ago, Jts2581 said:

you can check out the Springco recoil reduction sys.  It is listed for a walther q5, but works great in the canik SFX.  Also, smoky mountain concealment makes a killer competition holster for this pistol.

Ended up going with a 15 lb Glock gen 4 recoil spring with the adaptor cup.  Cost $22.  Works great.  Also replaced the striker spring.  Not a huge reduction in the trigger weight, less than 8 oz., however have put less than 500 rounds through it.  Will check it again after 2000 rounds.

On 10/16/2017 at 5:42 AM, OPENB said:

Internal non-visible trigger work is legal. You can't replace the trigger itself with an after market trigger (yet). 

What makes you say "yet?" I don't forsee aftermarket triggers ever being legal. If you have any information please let me know. 

The recent legalization of after market hammers, contrary to the current rule book, has led many to believe the legalization of after market triggers to be imminent. My comment was tongue in cheek. I have no first hand knowledge.

On 12/13/2017 at 9:18 AM, Jts2581 said:

you have to make sure all trigger work is internal only, like in production.  Nothing visible from the exterior (like the trigger pad itself)

Right...only changed the internals.  Same (crappy) hinged original trigger. 

16 hours ago, crmcdm said:

Right...only changed the internals.  Same (crappy) hinged original trigger. 

I was pretty impressed with it out of the box.  Especially for the price point.  That being said, I now shoot a walther in CO

• 4 weeks later...