Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best CO pistol?

Medicaptain

I am just getting back into USPSA regularly for the last 4-6 months.  I made a huge leap and picked up a DVC 2011 (in 9mm....like a dummy I forgot about minor/major) and while I do love shooting the DVC in Limited....I am seriously interested in starting over in COptics.

I am considering a few pistols...Canik TPSFX, CZ P-10C milled (for some reason I really like this size of pistol G19's etc).  However, I am also considering a G17MOS or G34 or 35 converted to 9mm with the ability to go back and shoot Major in Limited.  Any suggestions or comments out there??......throw em at me, I have thick skin.  EDIT-I did have a G34 before and I just couldn't stand the flip it produced...I should have kept it and played around with the springs more...but I really did not like it at the time.  I shot a G19 for my first 3 matches and liked it, but we have a lot of 25yd plus shots thrown into our matches and I was just not accurate enough with it at that distance.

Edited by Medicaptain

1 minute ago, Medicaptain said:

+1 on the SP01.....been there, sold that.....it is THE 1 gun I regret selling......

DPP....DeltaPoint Pro?

Yes. If you can deal with the screws that lose their threads...

for a very brief time I had an M&P CORE with a Viper Vortex RMR.....the glass flew out on my 6th shot.  So I have a 6 shot experience level with Optics on pistols, sounds like they all have their weakness's....Vortex was awesome to deal with but I sold the entire gun/package as soon as they replaced it....I was in the middle of building my AR at the time and did not wanna mess with it anymore.

If you get a slide milled for an optic, you are married to that optic, so make it a good one. With choices like the Canik, Walther Q5, Glock MOS, M&P Core, you can mount several different optics on a plate, or go back to Iron sights for production. I like that versatility. 

My main CO gun is an EAA Limited Pro with a Primary Machine dovetail mount and a 1st gen. Leupold Delta Point. Unfortunately, all three are discontinued. But you can get similar steel guns from Tangfolio or CZ.  I just picked up the Canik TP9SFX, & mounted a Vortex Viper. CZ extended base pads fit on it. It has an amazing trigger for a plastic gun, smokes a Glock trigger out of the box. Going to try it out tomorrow in my indoor practice match. So far, it looks promising. 

59 minutes ago, OPENB said:

If you get a slide milled for an optic, you are married to that optic, so make it a good one. With choices like the Canik, Walther Q5, Glock MOS, M&P Core, you can mount several different optics on a plate, or go back to Iron sights for production. I like that versatility. 

My main CO gun is an EAA Limited Pro with a Primary Machine dovetail mount and a 1st gen. Leupold Delta Point. Unfortunately, all three are discontinued. But you can get similar steel guns from Tangfolio or CZ.  I just picked up the Canik TP9SFX, & mounted a Vortex Viper. CZ extended base pads fit on it. It has an amazing trigger for a plastic gun, smokes a Glock trigger out of the box. Going to try it out tomorrow in my indoor practice match. So far, it looks promising. 

Odd that you would mention the TP9SFX....I think I am on my 15th YT video on that exact pistol.  How about a range report after your done tomorrow?......I would be very interested to hear your thoughts.  From two of the YT vids....the TPSFX looks like it ONLY likes to shoot 115g ammo...which isn't necessarily a bad thing

Thanks for the comments...I am a tinkerer so I am leaning away from milling a CZ P-10....even though I still will get one

Been shooting CO a few months with an M&P CORE and Vortex Viper. I did an APEX competition trigger kit on it as well, and the combo shoots very well. The Viper failed to hold zero after about 1,000 rounds, and Vortex sent me a new one. I'm about 600 rounds into that one...so we'll see. Gotta love the Vortex warranty--they are great company!  If I had it to do over starting now, I'd look pretty hard at a Sig P320 RX too.  

I thought you could not do any trigger work in CO?

vortex is a great company....just not sure I’m willing to chance it on another viper....too many bad stories and with my experience...just not confidence inspiring even though they fully support their products

19 hours ago, Medicaptain said:

I shot a G19 for my first 3 matches and liked it, but we have a lot of 25yd plus shots thrown into our matches and I was just not accurate enough with it at that distance.

My son just moved from a G19 /trijicon RMR combo to a CZ P10/trijicon RMR for CO.  

I am shocked at how well I can hit out at longer ranges with his P10. Amazing trigger and the ergonomics are much better than the G19 (for me anyway). The RMR is so much better at longer ranges for me, so am getting ready to have my P07 optic milled.

I shot the Canik in a match tonight. It is way over sprung for production loads. First order of business will be to get a lighter recoil spring in it. A tungsten guide rod would be nice. I read someone was putting some weight under the back strap insert, will look into that too. It is very accurate and points very well. Finding the dot was never a problem. Guys that played with it were really impressed with the trigger reset. I tend to slap the trigger, but I'd really like to learn to take advantage of that reset. My Taylor Freelance CZ mag extensions came in, but I didn't have a chance to use them tonight. Using the stock spring & follower, I got 22, tightly. I will look at modifying the follower to try get 1 more, or put in Grams kits. 

I talked a guy at the club into getting a DK trigger for his G34 gen4. He said the Canik trigger out of the box was much better. 

i would suggest shooting others at the local USPSA matches.  

i personally own a M&P CORE and a Glock 34 MOS.   I have mounted a DPP on both, i prefer the height of the sight on the Glock much better.  i have an Apex trigger in the M&P, which i really like, but i recently purchased a DK trigger but haven't installed it yet.  if it is a good i will stick with the Glock.

i think the Sig Xfive and Canik are also good choices, but not willing to purchased to "try"

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:38 PM, Medicaptain said:

I thought you could not do any trigger work in CO?

vortex is a great company....just not sure I’m willing to chance it on another viper....too many bad stories and with my experience...just not confidence inspiring even though they fully support their products

you can do trigger work but you cannot change the external profile of the gun, like adding a straight trigger or a trigger that looks different that the factory trigger

I'm trying out CO using a Canik Tp9Sfx with a Vortex red dot.  Total cost to try it. out about $650, already had a Safariland holster that fit it well.  I may upgrade the holster at a later date if I stick with the division.  The trigger is fine out of the box, though I'm used to a crisp 1911.  I agree the recoil spring is too heavy from the factory - it did not like soft 147 loads at all.  Remington 147s - no problem.  I'm hoping Springer Precision makes a guide rod for it soon to allow use of 1911 recoil springs.

At the range had no problem with factory loads.  Did not have much a learning curve on picking uo the red dot quickly.  I'm looking forward to shooting some matches with it starting in December.   

5 hours ago, mjl said:

I'm trying out CO using a Canik Tp9Sfx with a Vortex red dot.  Total cost to try it. out about $650, already had a Safariland holster that fit it well.  I may upgrade the holster at a later date if I stick with the division.  The trigger is fine out of the box, though I'm used to a crisp 1911.  I agree the recoil spring is too heavy from the factory - it did not like soft 147 loads at all.  Remington 147s - no problem.  I'm hoping Springer Precision makes a guide rod for it soon to allow use of 1911 recoil springs.

At the range had no problem with factory loads.  Did not have much a learning curve on picking uo the red dot quickly.  I'm looking forward to shooting some matches with it starting in December.   

If you change the striker spring to a Glock 6#, you'll be able to go to a Glock 15# recoil spring. I'm using a Glockstore Tungsten guide rod with a 15# spring. It will run minor ammo fine.

I shot a CZ SP01 Shadow with a dovetail mounted RMR in CO for a year. It was a great choice and everything worked great. Now that I have a P10C I'd be willing to try that as well for a polymer choice.

Another vote for the CZ SP-01.  I shot a CZ SP-01 Phantom for a few months, put a CGW trigger kit in it, and Burris FF3.  Shot very well.  Now I have CZC 75 Shadow with a CZ multi-optic milled slide, and a DPP.  Love this gun. 

On 10/15/2017 at 3:03 PM, Medicaptain said:

I am just getting back into USPSA regularly for the last 4-6 months.  I made a huge leap and picked up a DVC 2011 (in 9mm....like a dummy I forgot about minor/major) and while I do love shooting the DVC in Limited....I am seriously interested in starting over in COptics.

I am considering a few pistols...Canik TPSFX, CZ P-10C milled (for some reason I really like this size of pistol G19's etc).  However, I am also considering a G17MOS or G34 or 35 converted to 9mm with the ability to go back and shoot Major in Limited.  Any suggestions or comments out there??......throw em at me, I have thick skin.  EDIT-I did have a G34 before and I just couldn't stand the flip it produced...I should have kept it and played around with the springs more...but I really did not like it at the time.  I shot a G19 for my first 3 matches and liked it, but we have a lot of 25yd plus shots thrown into our matches and I was just not accurate enough with it at that distance.

I did what you have already thought of with the G35.  I like this idea because I am a Glock fan and of the versatility of the Glock platform with all the aftermarket gear available.  But the Canik is a nice platform too.  Like I tell everybody that asks why I like Glocks, its not that I loved Glocks compared to other guns, its that the Glock fits my hand well.  So you need to find a store that has them all and see how they feel or the ideal option, is to ask people if you can try their guns.   

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:03 PM, Medicaptain said:

35 converted to 9mm with the ability to go back and shoot Major in Limited. 

I know this is illegal in production and am pretty sure it is illegal in Carry ops.  I would check before I bought a 9 barrel for a 35