Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm looking at getting some Carlson's Chokes for my Versamax, and I'm just curious about going with Improved Mod over Mod. I have not patterned anything, and typically shoot 7.5 Wal Mart Winchesters or Federals.

What might be your preference?

Improved Cylinder + Light Mod + Mod

or

Improved Cylinder + Light Mod + Improved Mod

2 hours ago, 12Bravo said:

Don't try to shoot the pipes we have in MN with Cyl. :D

You guys let your pipes escape and I think they all migrated to WI. Thanks for that. They're the cause for all my LM usage.

Edited by TonytheTiger

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Paul49 said:

Guess we all need to get off the internet and pattern our own personal shotties with our preferred ammunition.

BOOM! 

But I see way more people miss being over choked than under. When you see a guy entirely miss a 4" target with a 4" pattern centered 2" to the right, and then hear them talking about the need to aim harder with a shotgun, you know they're doing it wrong. 

@FortesinFide, I see you're in Cross Plains. Did you ever make it to a Winnequah match this year? If you look at the guys in top 10 all this year I squadded with every one of them at some point and cylinder was easily the preferred choke, the pipes are the only thing that really changes that.

Edited by TonytheTiger

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2017 at 5:44 PM, TonytheTiger said:

BOOM! 

But I see way more people miss being over choked than under. When you see a guy entirely miss a 4" target with a 4" pattern centered 2" to the right, and then hear them talking about the need to aim harder with a shotgun, you know they're doing it wrong. 

@FortesinFide, I see you're in Cross Plains. Did you ever make it to a Winnequah match this year? If you look at the guys in top 10 all this year I squadded with every one of them at some point and cylinder was easily the preferred choke, the pipes are the only thing that really changes that.

YES, a couple guys and I were there at the last shoot of the season. We were hoping that Rueben would have that Halloween / Zombie shoot, but maybe next year. 

On 11/5/2017 at 11:17 PM, Paul49 said:

I will predict he's using the flush with the end of the barrel IC choke that comes from the factory installed on the 1301 Comp.

I used that for my first shoot with this gun, yes. There were mostly clays out to 15 yards or so, and some poppers to knock down at about 18 yards, maybe. 

I ended up ordering Carlson's chokes in Cylnder, Light Mod, and Improved Mod. Range time and patterning will tell how those work out. I've never patterned before, as I'm a bit of noob and have little access to a club right now near Madison, WI.