Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transporting Long guns between stages

Question regarding transporting Long guns between stages. 

For several years competitors used a variation of a jogging stroller. This method typically pointed the muzzles down at an angle. Occasionally there would be a cart made that carried with muzzle pointed straight up. 

Over the last couple of years I’ve noticed an increasing use of wagons. (Mostly collapsible type). I’m sure this make it a lot easier in most vehicles. However, these wagons typically carry the long guns with muzzle in horizontal position. This often  causes the muzzle to sweep competitors when pulled and / or parked. This method appears to be a violation of 3GN rules:

1.8.3 Long Guns must be cased OR if hand carried or slung, the muzzle must be pointed up. 

1.8.3.1 Using a cart where the muzzles are pointed downward is allowed. 

Should the rules be changed or should match directors be aware and enforce the transportation requirements? Or are my concerns out of Line?

at least IMO, if a long gun is on a cart, stroller, whatever and is not being handled, and has a chamber flag in it, it's pretty much a broom, stick or whatever and i'm not worried or broken up or offended.  if one is putting it on a cart or taking it off, they definitely should do it without muzzling anyone.  that said, if the rules prohibit it then it shouldn't be done or the rules should be changed.  i use a jogging stroller and am very careful to ensure that no one gets muzzled when i put it on or take it off.

The new draft of USPSA MG rules addresses this in a pretty sensible way:

Firearms that are being transported on a cart, vehicle, or other such conveyance must be situated on the conveyance in either a muzzle up or muzzle down orientation if not bagged. Under such conditions long guns must have a chamber safety flag inserted. The muzzle of any such firearm, if oriented down, must point to a spot within 3 feet of the conveyance. If pointed up, it must be oriented such that a person walking around the conveyance will not be covered by the muzzle if they are more than 3 feet away from the conveyance. All such measurements shall be taken while the conveyance is situated on flat, level ground. In the event of disagreement on how the firearm is being transported, the RM shall be the final authority as to the acceptability of such orientation.

Obviously, I don't know if this rule will make the final cut, and it is not clear to me whether this is a DQable offense (not really "unsafe gun handling") or a correctable offense (like a cocked hammer on a holstered pistol). Also, this rule is inconsistent with some other rules in the draft, so that discrepancy will have to be ironed out. All in all, I think this is on the right track.

On 10/13/2017 at 11:25 PM, mitommy said:

1.8.3 Long Guns must be cased OR if hand carried or slung, the muzzle must be pointed up.

That OR makes a difference.  I keep mine cased in my wagon.  And it's angled muzzle down.  Problem solved.