Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp cleaning

Tubguy

I shoot a lot of hytek coated bullets and what I find works great but is a little messy.

Fill comp with Kroil oil the night before. go to range the next morning COVER your scope and shoot 5-6 jacketed major rounds.

Seems like the Kroil gets under the lead and coating and the muzzle blast then blows the crud out of the comp.

I cover the scope so it doesn't get blasted with the debris that comes out of comp.

NOTICE!  I've only done this twice so its not got a lot of empirical testing!!! LOL

Edited by jcc7x7

9 hours ago, Tubguy said:

I was wondering if anybody is using small sand blasters to remove lead and keep the inside of the comp spotless

Mike

I do. Once a year in the off season I hit mine with glass beads. They don’t hurt anything and the comp looks brand new after 5 minutes.

4 hours ago, Tubguy said:

Do you have a sand blaster recommendation?

I use a Campbell Hausfeld? Elcheapo one with the tube and hose that you bury in a box of beads. Got it on Amazon .I don’t use a cabinet. I just blow it out in the driveway.

Hi, I use a cheap engraving tool with a custom tip I made from a small screwdriver blade.  I rounded off the flat blade so it won't dig or gouge and cut to length.  You can adjust the vibration speed as it chisels off the crud, just be careful near the muzzle crown.  Easy and clean going too.

I do mine about every 4 months. I bought one of these for $70.  I put a foam ear plug at the end of the barrel and tape off the rest of the barrel. 
1.jpg.db7f3230e63986fae4dbd7eb36322acf.jpg
Where did you buy this one? Also what size compressor are you using?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

They are sometimes tough to find. From what I found out, they only makes a certain amount in a run and then they get back ordered for a long period of time. I lucked out and found a brand new one locally on Craigslist. Here is one on eBay. A little bit more but available. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F322476567173

• 2 months later...

My comp on my Tanfo small frame open gun was so loaded up with lead. I tried a Dremel and poor results at best. My son is a Harley mechanic and they have a glass bead blaster at his shop. He cleaned it a couple of days ago and it looks like new. If I didn't have that available I would definitely get a small one from HF or Amazon with some glass bead media. Well worth it. He has done a couple of rifle & PCC comps, too with it. Just tape off everything and cut out the ports.

gerritm

• 3 weeks later...