Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Single Stack

BigMoneyGrip

I'm looking for a 9mm single stack. Preferably stainless frame and blued slide, though all stainless would work. I was looking at the Springfield Range Officer but would like to know what else is available.

This would be used for plinking only.

Thanks for your help!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not stainless, or fancy, but my RIA 9mm has been very dependable. 
That's what I was gonna say. If it's mostly just a range gun, then why not buy a $300 GI Rock Island, or the ~600 Tactical 2 (Or whatever they call it now)? They are absolutely reliable, accurate, and based on what I have seen from STI I would say higher quality.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, matteekay said:

Not stainless, or fancy, but my RIA 9mm has been very dependable. 

Got a RIA 9mm for my son and it is a great piece of gear.  Dawson front sight, and a IPSC legal magwell, trigger job good mags and you are good to go. 

32 minutes ago, superlifer03 said:

Got a RIA 9mm for my son and it is a great piece of gear.  Dawson front sight, and a IPSC legal magwell, trigger job good mags and you are good to go. 

Yup. I think the only "must have" with them is a new front sight - the factory one is just too wide. I did a Dawson FO as well on mine.

I bought a TCM model used (without the TCM components, so 9mm only) which is equivalent to the Rock Ultra #51623. It goes for $550 on *that* site and has good grips, an adjustable rear sight, FO front, an okay magwell, and an upper 3 lb trigger. Can't ask for much more.

The ONLY complaint I have is that the frame is a hair longer than standard, so trying to use a MSH/magwell like the Smith and Alexander didn't sit quite straight. I wound up doing the Wilson model that hooks over the lower bushings and simply filing a little clearance in the hooks. It should also be noted that this is on an older gun and I think things have been fixed since then as my new .45 RIA takes all accessories without an issue:

23582886348_4a86ae7522_z.jpg

Thanks for the replies! I have an AMT Hardballer thats been hopped up some. I was just wanting a 9mm because I have buckets of that loaded. I've been shooting GSSF a good bit over the last couple of years, but I miss shooting my 1911. So I thought a 1911 in 9mm would be a great comprimise. I do enjoy shoot the GLOCK 34 and 17L, but I want a 1911.

Thanks!

On 10/12/2017 at 8:50 PM, JMike said:

I take it you are looking for something in the 1911 design. If so, there is the STI Trojan, which is a really nice 1911 in 9mm. 

I'm going to second this. Great value gun. Of course you could step up to the Sentinel if you wanted to get fancier. 

On 10/13/2017 at 9:49 AM, superlifer03 said:

Same here.  RIA for less than $500.  Installed Dawson fiber front, and a mag well for single stack USPSA & steel matches.

https://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/rock-island/1911-a1-fs-pistol-9mm-5in-9rd-parkerized/

Trojan from Dawson is ready to go. The other option is Dan Wesson PM9. Having shot both, I really like the Dan Wessons a lot more for the finish and attention to detail. Maybe too much for "just plinking" but they are great guns.

I'm a little late to the thread.  I've got nearly 17k rounds through my Springfield Operator chambered in 9mm.  It wasn't a "cheap" gun but it has been a very good gun.

You'll want to make sure your 9mm gun has a ramped barrel.  It will help it feed reliably.  

I have a personal preference for guns with a magwell mainspring housing.  If you're in the market for a plinker, you'll probably trade that feature for a lower price.

Like all 1911s - magazine choice is really important.  Springfield's 9mm guns ship with 9-round magazines.  If you want a 10 round magazine, I've had the best luck with Dawson Precision magazines.  They feed reliably and break down easily.  Naturally, they're like $45 each - but I think well worth it.   Chip McCormick makes a very good 10 round 9mm magazine too, though they don't break down as easily as the Dawson.  

Good luck on your 9mm hunt.  Do post pix of your gun whenever you get it.

1 hour ago, BangSwitch said:

Like all 1911s - magazine choice is really important.  Springfield's 9mm guns ship with 9-round magazines.  If you want a 10 round magazine, I've had the best luck with Dawson Precision magazines.  They feed reliably and break down easily.  Naturally, they're like $45 each - but I think well worth it.   Chip McCormick makes a very good 10 round 9mm magazine too, though they don't break down as easily as the Dawson. 

This, absolutely.

I have a CMC that works, a MecGar that's awful, and a pile of Metalforms that are my competition mags (which are the same tube/spring/follower as Dawson). If you're just getting your feet wet, the Metalform 10-rounders have a decent plastic baseplate that doesn't need to be replaced right off the bat (though I have since added Dawson bases to all of mine) and are typically about $30 shipped when they pop up on eBay.

By way of comparison, I only run Tripp 10-rounders in my 45 1911 as CMC's don't drop free and Wilsons are pricey (and everyone replaces the guts with Tripp parts anyway). 

2 hours ago, USCSBarney said:

Dawson Precision used to and I think still are selling race ready versions of STI guns.

I think the OP was looking for a plinker, not a competition gun.   
That's an excellent suggestion for a game-gun, but might be a bit of overkill for plinking duties.  (I was considering one myself sometime ago)  That said, the OP never did say what his budget was.

16 hours ago, BangSwitch said:

I'm a little late to the thread.  I've got nearly 17k rounds through my Springfield Operator chambered in 9mm.  It wasn't a "cheap" gun but it has been a very good gun.

You'll want to make sure your 9mm gun has a ramped barrel.  It will help it feed reliably.  

I have a personal preference for guns with a magwell mainspring housing.  If you're in the market for a plinker, you'll probably trade that feature for a lower price.

Good luck on your 9mm hunt.  Do post pix of your gun whenever you get it.

This is the exact setup I run with the exception I run a Techwell XT for my magwell. It's an amazing setup for the money.

For what it's worth, this is the survey for Single Stack Nationals last year. There's a reason why Springfield is the most popular.

singlestacksurvey.JPG

Edited by e4effort
picture