Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What causes this Glock malfunction?

boomfab

How does it normally eject and extract?

If it's like the Gen4 9mm pistols the Extractor was the issue.

I'm looking at picking up a 10mm Glock within a week or two and was wondering if Apex Tactical makes a Failure Resistant Extractor for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you shoot hot 10mm ammo  it WILL cause this malfunction. Underwood ammo (As well as many others that are similarly hot) will NOT work through the stock 10mm Glocks. You need to replace the recoil spring with this:

http://www.glockmeister.com/Glockmeister-Stainless-Steel-Recoil-Spring-Assembly-for-Gen-4-20-21-40-41/productinfo/G4SS20CS/

I use the 24# spring assembly.  

Edited by cheby

16 minutes ago, cheby said:

If you shoot hot 10mm ammo  it WILL cause this malfunction. Underwood ammo (As well as many others that are similarly hot) will NOT work through the stock 10mm Glocks. You need to replace the recoil spring with this:

http://www.glockmeister.com/Glockmeister-Stainless-Steel-Recoil-Spring-Assembly-for-Gen-4-20-21-40-41/productinfo/G4SS20CS/

I use the 24# spring assembly.  

BS

3 hours ago, 858 said:

BS

Ugh...   I have personally tested various hot 10 mm ammo offerings including Buffalo Bore, Federal 180 Grain Trophy Bonded JSP, Double Tap (Various), Underwood (with Lehigh bullets), as well as several  handloads in my research for the efficient outdoor ammo that works with semiauto pistol . I used two G20 Gen 4 and one G29 gen 4. The 200gr DT was the only ammo that was reliable  enough. However, the velocity was only 1100f/s compared to 1300 advertised. So I think that ammo is close to .40SW actually. Everything else that was close or above 1300 would become less reliable especially shooting one handed (Which was a part of my testing). Reliability  also depends on the bullet profile. For example the lehigh penetrator bullets appear to feed more reliably in Glocks. The point is each time you get to real 10mm velocity, reliability suffers. Most guys however, shoot a half a mag and think they are GTG... 

The heavy recoil springs improved this dramatically for me  but still did not solve the issue completely.. 

You can read more about the issue here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?16503-HK-USP-45-field-pistol

or here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?25552-10mm-200gr-Hardcast-Load 

Edited by cheby

I have thousands of rounds of full boat 10mm through my G20. It is completely stock, no malfunctions. If your gun  doesn't cycle full power ammo, call glock because something is wrong with it. Even glock is going to tell you hot ammo is fine.

26 minutes ago, 858 said:

I have thousands of rounds of full boat 10mm through my G20. It is completely stock, no malfunctions. If your gun  doesn't cycle full power ammo, call glock because something is wrong with it. Even glock is going to tell you hot ammo is fine.

can you tell me what ammo you've been shooting?

1 hour ago, cheby said:

can you tell me what ammo you've been shooting?

Mostly handloads but also SIG, Underwood, and Double Tap. All 180gr. My handloads are 180gr going 1250fps.

OP should call Glock and have his pistol warrantied.

Glock 10mm works fine with both factory and chrono'd 1200fps loads (180gr) works fine with factory springs

Agree the gun should be warrantied via Glock

unless you like playing with it and want the After Market stuff for your self confidence.

Hot 10s work better with a 22lb or 24lb spring. Assumes you are holding your gun like this? So that it's not a grip issue. Ejectors don't normally cause issues in Glocks. And it only occurs 1 in 25? Most likely shifting your grip.

image37140.jpg

All Glocks need oil, but not a break in.  A dry Glock will slow the slide down. And we know that Aussies can't have 40 cal guns down under, right mate? That's why you guys run 357SIG for Limited Major....

I swapped in a brand new Glock ejector.  It did not fix the issue. 

These malfunctions ONLY occur with VERY hot ammo (Hornady factory 180 gr XTP loads, all Underwood 180gr + hollow point loads)

I do not have issues with mediocre ammo (FMJ practice ammo or Winchester 180gr Silvertips).

2 minutes ago, boomfab said:

These malfunctions ONLY occur with VERY hot ammo (Hornady factory 180 gr XTP loads, all Underwood 180gr + hollow point loads)

I do not have issues with mediocre ammo (FMJ practice ammo or Winchester 180gr Silvertips).

I would think the extractor would have more to do with this failure than the ejector.

8 minutes ago, boomfab said:

I am telling you it is a well known issue. Try to swap the recoil spring.  

Extractor. The heavier recoil spring is delaying the cycling long enough to allow extraction with a defective extractor. Call Glock and ask them to fix it. The gun should function 100% without changing recoil springs.

While I agree it should function stock. My G20 hits the hell out of you in the hand and did not become comfortable to shoot till I got a 24lb spring in it. With Doubletap hard casts and Federal Trophy Bonded stuff it still tosses the cases 10 ft. 

Edited by DanL
Spelling

I put in a brand new LCI extractor, spring, SL bearing and plunger from MidwayUSA.

It certainly did HELP the problem.  I only had one malfunction in 60 rds of hot ammo.

I'll be trying the heavier recoil springs soon.

I shot 100 rds of hot ammo with a 22 lb ISMI spring.  No FTEs.

I will try another 300 rounds of hot ammo with the 22 lbs spring.  If not FTE's I will consider the problem solved.

From what I have read, the G40 slide is thin walled and weighs a few ounces less than a G20 slide.  This may be a reason more spring is needed on a G40.