Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training with optics to improve shot calling

inkballedtarget

I am currently an A class limited shooter, like many I achieved this level of skill by pulling the trigger fast and suffering the consequences. I think the missing link to the next level is being able to call shots at speed. For whatever reason this has proven to be more difficult for me than others make it out to be. Long story long, I have heard that a limited shooter training with a dot gun is a great way to learn to call shots. With the off season looming what would yalls thoughts be on training with a dot gun from November to end of January? In the same vein, do you think the dot has to be on an open gun, or can you experience the same benefit from a carry optics rig? 

Edited by inkballedtarget

I am a lowly B, and will probably never make A, but my experience has been that switching to shooting with a dot

has sped me up as a Ltd shooter.   (I am an old bullseye shooter).

You come at it with a different experience (you already have the speed that I didn't have).

It helped me, but don't have enough experience to know if it will help you, at your level.

Let's see, when the sun comes up, what the Experts have to say ....   :) 

Good luck in your run to Master.

For me, switching from Production and limited to Open really helped me pick my speed up a lot as well as help with accuracy. I was able to learn how to get the gun up and shooting a lot faster than before and learn how to call my shots. I'm still not the greatest at it but I can see a lot of progress so far this year.

As a side note, a good chunk of the better (M/GM) limited shooters that I know have an open gun that they use occasionally for a multitude of reasons. movement, speed, shot calling, etc.

As for weather to go with a CO or Open gun, IMO I'd say it depends on what gun you are shooting now in Limited. If you are shooting a Glock, Walther, etc., I'd probably go with CO so you can keep the same feel (grip & trigger press) of the gun but, if you are shooting a 2011, Tanfo, CZ, etc. I'd go with an Open gun for the same reason just so you don't have to learn to run a completely different platform to get better. 

8 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I am a lowly B, and will probably never make A, but my experience has been that switching to shooting with a dot

has sped me up as a Ltd shooter.   (I am an old bullseye shooter).

You come at it with a different experience (you already have the speed that I didn't have).

It helped me, but don't have enough experience to know if it will help you, at your level.

Let's see, when the sun comes up, what the Experts have to say ....   :) 

Good luck in your run to Master.

This seems to be the consensus. I am sure you are right, that it has a diminishing return as you increase experience. Luckily I have a lot of room to grow..

On 10/12/2017 at 10:08 AM, Jimboslice said:

For me, switching from Production and limited to Open really helped me pick my speed up a lot as well as help with accuracy. I was able to learn how to get the gun up and shooting a lot faster than before and learn how to call my shots. I'm still not the greatest at it but I can see a lot of progress so far this year.

As a side note, a good chunk of the better (M/GM) limited shooters that I know have an open gun that they use occasionally for a multitude of reasons. movement, speed, shot calling, etc.

As for weather to go with a CO or Open gun, IMO I'd say it depends on what gun you are shooting now in Limited. If you are shooting a Glock, Walther, etc., I'd probably go with CO so you can keep the same feel (grip & trigger press) of the gun but, if you are shooting a 2011, Tanfo, CZ, etc. I'd go with an Open gun for the same reason just so you don't have to learn to run a completely different platform to get better. 

When you went from production to limited, did you stay with the same type platform between the two?  

I have heard a few limited shooters say they "play around" with open guns, so it absolutely makes sense. 

It certainly makes sense to stay within the same platform... I dont really want to set up to  load for 38 SC if 80% of the skills can be obtained with a plastic fantastic.

Thanks for you thoughts!

Calvin

• 2 weeks later...

No I didn't stay with the same platform. I was shooting an XDM9  4.5" in production and then a Edge style 2011 in Limited and noticed that it was more difficult to swap between the two just because of the trigger profile/pull weight and the overall feel of the gun.

I think overall the biggest key is just to become as comfortable as possible with whatever platform you decide on and for an Open gun why not buy a 9mm instead of 38SC? you could just shoot it minor with factory ammo and/or if you have the components/press setup load major or minor.    

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, waltherppq said:

red dot can definitely help . 

i was was not able to call shot at all before, and now I can feel it after 2 month using CO on sfx

I am hoping this will be the outcome! I understand what I should see, but it's like I'm not processing the information at speed.

13 hours ago, itlogo said:

+1 to what everyone else had said.  With the cold season coming and fewer matches, I’m going to be training pretty much exclusively with my CO. 

This is my plan. I usually take a break that turns into something longer than it should. Maybe CO will be different enough to peak my interest.

Thanks for all of the info!