Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

# Rounds cleaned from dry media?

IGOTGLOCKED

We kind of touched on this in another post however I'm really interested in:

What type of cleaner/machine you use?

What type of media and or mix you use?

Average time of cleaning a batch

Average # cleaned per batch?

And realistically how many rounds you are able to clean to your satisfaction before having to change to fresh media.

I use the large Dillon CV 2001

I use a corn & walnut (fine grit) along with a 50/50 mix of Nu Finish & mineral spirits

I let each batch run for 3+ hours +/-  I don't pay that much attention to the time, I just kind of let them go and take out when I like how they look. I like them really clean and really shiny. If any of you have bought brass from me you  know what I mean...

I average about 1,500 per batch

I just cleaned 15,000 9's - the media wasn't that dirty (dark) however the time to clean was getting longer and longer so I changed it.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

IGG

I keep a small bowl or jar of each walnut and corn on the bench next to the tumbler. With Walnut I just run my fingers through the old stuff then do the same with new. The new will feel really sharp and I just compare the feeling between the two to kind of gauge when to change it. You can also gauge it by the amount of time it takes to clean brass. New walnut will clean brass nicely in two hours or so. As it wear it takes longer so you can gauge that way as well.

For corn, I look at color and time it takes to polish. too much polish and it kills corn in my experience. I only add a little polish every two or three batches and it really shines the brass up without gunking up the corn prematurely. Corn will start looking green and nasty when its been in use way too long. As with corn, it should polish to a nice shine in about two hours.

I also buy my media in 40-50 lb bags from Grainger, drillspot, etc. Or even a local bead blasting shop if you have one around. Soo cheap this way and its better media.

16 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I keep a small bowl or jar of each walnut and corn on the bench next to the tumbler. With Walnut I just run my fingers through the old stuff then do the same with new. The new will feel really sharp and I just compare the feeling between the two to kind of gauge when to change it. You can also gauge it by the amount of time it takes to clean brass. New walnut will clean brass nicely in two hours or so. As it wear it takes longer so you can gauge that way as well.

For corn, I look at color and time it takes to polish. too much polish and it kills corn in my experience. I only add a little polish every two or three batches and it really shines the brass up without gunking up the corn prematurely. Corn will start looking green and nasty when its been in use way too long. As with corn, it should polish to a nice shine in about two hours.

I also buy my media in 40-50 lb bags from Grainger, drillspot, etc. Or even a local bead blasting shop if you have one around. Soo cheap this way and its better media.

Thanks Sarge!

I got my last bag from Grainger, but I'll check out drillspot.

Much appreciated!

2 hours ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

I like them really clean and really shiny.

If that's the case, then you really should migrate to wet tumbling.    You can run your brass for a dozen hours in a dry tumbler, and they won't be anywhere's near as clean as just a couple hours in a wet tumbler.   Been there and done that.

Don

2 hours ago, USSR said:

If that's the case, then you really should migrate to wet tumbling.    You can run your brass for a dozen hours in a dry tumbler, and they won't be anywhere's near as clean as just a couple hours in a wet tumbler.   Been there and done that.

Don

I have heard of the spectacular results of wet tumbling, perhaps some day...

Thx!

2 hours ago, USSR said:

Don

Sure, wet tumbling really gets brass clean but I found my five gallon buckets full would tarnish pretty bad after a few months. So even after so much work wet tumbling I still dry tumble it all before loading.

I have brass that I wet tumbled 2 years ago, and it's still tarnish free.   Two things are important in this regard: Rinse the brass really well by placing them in the media separator that you use for dry tumbling on to a 5 gallon pail filled with water and spin them thru the water; and dry them by first swishing them around in a towel that you are holding, then put them into one of those cheap turkey/lasagna aluminum pans and place them in the oven at about 225 degrees for 30 minutes - quick drying is important.

Don

For brass I'm just storing and don't plan on using in the near future, after stainless pinning and drying I tumble for 45 minutes or so in small grain walnut with Nu-Finish in it and then put into 2 gallon plastic tubs with lids.  They stay acceptably shiny for a long, long time doing it that way.

I get acceptable (to me) results dry tumbling in mixed media for 2-3 hrs with liquid car polish and mineral spirits added. Brass is clean and looks good without the extra time and steps involved in wet tumbling. I've never found it worthwhile to clean brass beyond that.

Gandof

With clean walnut/corncob media, I get clean brass in 2 -4 hrs. If the brass is shot clean (ie: hasn't sat for awhile) 2 hrs. will do it. Don't know what the media size is. I use it till it is dirty and times go to more like 4 hrs or so. Probably about 15K or so rounds.

Then, I wash it. Easy proccess. Just takes an hr or so'...

I have a few containers of it, so I rotate the stock. Interesting that when it's washed, I get more back by volume than I start with...

I mix in Flitz for better shine.

Works for me...

Wow, you guys are spending a lot more time on brass than I do.  I dry tumble for 45 min prior to loading, hit it with some case lube, load, then dry tumble for another 45 min, chamber check and shoot.  The rounds cycle smoothly and while they might not pass for factory new, they look pretty shiny.

Something a shooting buddy told me about. (claims he saw JM doing it on a video...)

I dump dirty media in a 5 gal bucket. Squirt in Dawn ("takes grease out of the way") and fill about halfway up with hot water. Stir (paint stirrers) and let sit for 1/2 hr or so stirring occasionally.

Dump (in basement sink) through old window screen.

Hot water rinse

Repeat soap/ hot water step.

Repeat rinse till clean and bright...

(You will have lots of brown water if you are using walnut)

I spread out on screen and put in the sunshine or behind my furnace in winter to dry, re-spreading as needed.

Dries in 3 - 4 hrs in the sun (YMMV)

You will have more by volume when finished.

I also try to run some brass through it asap to dry the media completely. (I run with the cover off the first cycle)

It all takes an hr or so, besides the "waiting" for the next step...

1 hour ago, Dr. Phil said:

Something a shooting buddy told me about. (claims he saw JM doing it on a video...)

I dump dirty media in a 5 gal bucket. Squirt in Dawn ("takes grease out of the way") and fill about halfway up with hot water. Stir (paint stirrers) and let sit for 1/2 hr or so stirring occasionally.

Dump (in basement sink) through old window screen.

Hot water rinse

Repeat soap/ hot water step.

Repeat rinse till clean and bright...

(You will have lots of brown water if you are using walnut)

I spread out on screen and put in the sunshine or behind my furnace in winter to dry, re-spreading as needed.

Dries in 3 - 4 hrs in the sun (YMMV)

You will have more by volume when finished.

I also try to run some brass through it asap to dry the media completely. (I run with the cover off the first cycle)

It all takes an hr or so, besides the "waiting" for the next step...

I have never heard of washing media, that is quite frugal. Makes me feel wasteful... Where does all that toxic water go?

A 25 year old Frankfort Arsenal (replaced the bowl twice) and a 5 year old Harbor Freight. Both are 5 lb tumblers.

Walnut, loaded with 2 teaspoons of mineral oil, then in the 2nd tumbler, corn loaded with 2 teaspoons of NuFinish car polish.

Since it's an "off-line" operation, I sometimes let it go for a whole day, or two, or sometimes overnight. Seems to be shinny enough after just a few hours. I also run them open top as their is no dust because of the additives and allot quieter.

5-6 lbs of 9mm, about 600 cases.

And realistically how many rounds you are able to clean to your satisfaction before having to change to fresh media.

I usually pitch the mix after a 5 gallon bucket of brass is processed, about 10,000 9mm cases. Cost is almost nothing when you buy the media from pet supply stores in bulk.

Turns nasty range brass into clean and shinny happy brass. It's also slippery enough from the NuFinish that I never use case lube.

image37648.jpg

3 hours ago, 9x45 said:

A 25 year old Frankfort Arsenal (replaced the bowl twice) and a 5 year old Harbor Freight. Both are 5 lb tumblers.

Walnut, loaded with 2 teaspoons of mineral oil, then in the 2nd tumbler, corn loaded with 2 teaspoons of NuFinish car polish.

Since it's an "off-line" operation, I sometimes let it go for a whole day, or two, or sometimes overnight. Seems to be shinny enough after just a few hours. I also run them open top as their is no dust because of the additives and allot quieter.

I usually pitch the mix after a 5 gallon bucket of brass is processed, about 10,000 9mm cases. Cost is almost nothing when you buy the media from pet supply stores in bulk.

Turns nasty range brass into clean and shinny happy brass. It's also slippery enough from the NuFinish that I never use case lube.

image37648.jpg

9x45 - Thank you for the detailed info.  A lot of other people are putting down "a 50/50 mix", but you put down specific amounts (teaspoonfuls).  I appreciate that.  I was about to ask everyone on the 50/50 mix...how much of each, but you answered that.  I think yours looks darn shiny enough for me.  :) 

4 hours ago, 9x45 said:

image37648.jpg

Nice!!!

56 minutes ago, R1_Demon said:

9x45 - Thank you for the detailed info.  A lot of other people are putting down "a 50/50 mix", but you put down specific amounts (teaspoonfuls).  I appreciate that.  I was about to ask everyone on the 50/50 mix...how much of each, but you answered that.  I think yours looks darn shiny enough for me.  :) 

Great point! As Sarge pointed out too much magic sauce can gunk up the media and shorten it's cleaning life...