Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot or no dot - that is the question

scroadkill

I'm still C class - running limited minor - 1 match per week, but steadily climbing up in the overall in my level 1 matches. My hits are good - last match was 80% A, 1 M, 1NS - but I had a few mental errors: last minute change in plans, starting stage w/o reviewing plan. I probably lost 5-8 seconds I can account for.
I threw the M/NS on six chickens.. 10A/1C/1M/NS about 1" into the NS. 12.54s.

I have a small local match scheduled for this weekend - and I'm definitely running my CZ SP01 shadow frame - my dilemma is which upper to use.
CTS or SP01 Shadow with Vortex Venom dot.

Thoughts on the matter are:
I need to work on executing stage plans as planned.
Do I need the distraction of switching to the dot?
The MD is known to get creative - open shooter, and signed up to shoot.. I suspect some tough partials and distant steel.
Its a small local match - not too serious.
I like how the dot helps show me my trigger finger movements as I break the shot - I'm thinking it helps train my trigger finger regardless of division.
Last match I shot with dot was a month ago, and the first match since I got my slide milled. hits were good, time was real slow. also plagued with mental errors.

I shot irons only for many years because that was all that interested me, but I was also admittedly under the assumption that it would force me to shoot better than "cheating" with a dot.  Now that I've been using a dot, I find that the dot literally shows me my errors more positively than the irons, especially in dry fire.  This allows me to then correct my errors which I woukd not have otherwise noticed.  Ultimately, I'd say to pick what you want to shoot and go with that, but the dot can have some benefit as a training tool if used thoughtfully.   

3 hours ago, scroadkill said:

Last match I shot with dot was a month ago,  hits were good,  time was real slow.  plagued with mental errors.

If the dot slowed me down and caused lots of mental errors, I would WAIT

and practice much more with the dot - you'll know when you're ready   :) 

I've shot with a dot since the beginning.  It's fast to pick up and is much more accurate than iron sights.  Initially you have to do a little practice finding the dot in dry fire mode.  Once you have no problems picking it up your speed will increase and so will your hits.

2 hours ago, tattooo said:

Switching to a dot is extremely fun

They are lots of fun and certainly will i.d. areas that need improvement. I can't find it right now, but Brian has a blog post somewhere where he discusses using a "scope" i.e. dot and where to place your attention(focus) when using one. Basically, and unlike irons where you put your attention on the front sight while breaking the shot, you put it on the target when using a dot. Dot shows up where your focus is ... bang. It works, too.

If this was a major/you were competing for prizes, I would say stick to irons, but since you are in "improvement" mode (just like myself), I would shoot the dot since it definitely helps you to see mistakes you are making in matches which don't always get duplicated when you are practicing (especially live fire where range rules prohibit you shooting from weird angles, etc).

When I started like most I started in production. Shortly after I built a 22/45 for RFPO SC. Much more fun to me. So then production gun was converted to carry optics, got into open, and RFRO & PCCO. If it doesn't have a dot on it, I don't have much use for it on the weekends. I think C-more has me on their preferred customer list now. 

All about what you enjoy. 

• 3 weeks later...

u[date - stupid dot is back in the bag. I'm back running plan jane limited as hard as I can.  I'm adding more detail to my stage plans, and that really seems to help speed things up.

The gun, well it just shoots itself.  As long at it stay at 80% A's and no mikes I'll keep working on stage planning and foot work.

Why did you give up on the dot?  It's not for everyone but the dot can be a lot of fun and can help you learn why you are missing.  BTW you need better than 80 % A's to be competitive.  The dot will help you shoot more A/s and faster.  It just takes practice to get use to it.  Once you learn how to pick up the dot you will enjoy it more.

5 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Why did you give up on the dot?  It's not for everyone but the dot can be a lot of fun and can help you learn why you are missing.  BTW you need better than 80 % A's to be competitive.  The dot will help you shoot more A/s and faster.  It just takes practice to get use to it.  Once you learn how to pick up the dot you will enjoy it more.

agreed dots help w/ the percentage. as for being competitive - IMO i shoot to have fun - maybe pick 2-3 guys I know who are slightly better than me and I go after them to push myself a bit. I try to improve on one thing every practice / every match - mostly mental work at the moment. I'm comfortable drawing and shooting from cocked and locked and shooting carry optic required DA first shot (or cock hammer) - either way that is a mental distraction I may take on at a future date, but for the moment I like going as fast as I can and that means SA start - while I work on stage planning.  Last 2 classifiers were at 59% in limited - its just where I'm at.. sitting on the limited B bubble running minor. It will pop in its own time. Honestly I quit worrying about it.