Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some advises, looking to modify a Glock for competition use, G34 vs G17

lok214

Hello all! 

New here from Norcal! I am looking to get a G34 or G17 so I can get into the professional shooting match (After I polish up my shooting skills lol). I only have a G19 now so I would like to ask some advises from all your Glock Guru 

If I am planning on using this glock for competition, GSSF, USPSA etc, are there major benefits picking a G34 over a G17?

Thanks!

Buy ammo right now and go shoot. Talk to people and enjoy yourself,

Your G19 is fine for now. You may choose a different road after meeting people and seeing all the cool guns at matches.

I'm not a top level shooter by any means but I went back to shooting my G19 for 3-gun because it feels faster and I shoot it pretty well even though I have large hands. 

If I were going for bullseyes I'd want a different gun but for running around and shooting quickly the G19 is plenty.

I do have competition sights, TTI mag well, some extensions on my mags so they drop easier, etc. I have a couple of plain ones too. Best all around pistol for the money ever. 

Better to to spend money on sights, maybe the trigger, and practice ammo imho. 

20170925_iphone_0008.jpg

Edited by Frankly

I have both the 17 and 34. I like the 34 better. Longer sight radius is better. I put new Dawson Sights on the gun. I would definitely put a front fiber optic sight on. I did a trigger job to reduce the trigger pull and make it feel smoother. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

A lot of times you can find a Glock 17 cheaper than a 34 and there’s a lot more used 17 than 34s if price is a factor. Also Taylor Freelance makes a sight block to extend the sight radius of a 17

Edited by Mason

Only benefit of the 34 over the 17 is making power factor with ease.  The extra barrel length gives it more velocity. 

Other than that its personal preference,  some people say the 34 is like waving a broom stick around and other people like the extra weight up front. 

If i were you id shoot the 19 and use that extra gun money to buy ammo and training.

I would hold both and use whatever feels more comfortable. I don't see much difference in them when shooting. But, I do shoot a 34 most of the time. If you could pick up a 17 on the cheap and have some extra money for ammo, thats what I would do. I agree with the post that the 34 will hold its value better down the road if you every decide to sell it, so that is something to think about. 

I have both and both will work. Started with the 17 as it was my carry/defensive gun and I had shot some IDPA with it. Had a chance to shoot a 34 and liked it. Not sure the sight radius was very noticeable, but to me the 34 cycled more smoothly and "flatter" than the 17. If just starting and choosing one I would definitely choose the 34. 

The only mods you really need are sights and trigger. I don't think it really matters which so long as they are the commonly used ones. No need to reinvent the wheel. 

I shot the 34 quite a bit in USPSA, Steel Challenge and GSSF, and really liked it. I ended up switching to a G17 a few years back for all shooting disciplines so I can just use the same gun,  and can also shoot more divisions in GSSF matches with the G17 than you can with the G34

I would suggest a 34 with either Dawson or TTI sights. A TTI trigger kit if you just have to have a lighter or smoother trigger. I wouldn’t go with an aftermarket trigger or striker. I put a lot of money into a 34 and now it is back to stock other than the Dawson adjustable sights. After a year I found out my gun was less reliable and I could have bought a lot of reloading components with what I spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk