Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Engaging multiple targets when dry firing

Blackstone45

When practicing dry fire, how do you deal with multiple target setups? Obviously when dry firing, you will only get one true trigger squeeze. So for multiple targets, do you just simulate the trigger squeeze with as much pressure as would normally take to break the shot?

2 minutes ago, Blackstone45 said:

I'm using a CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow (SA/DA with a thumb safety when the hammer is back)

With that gun, I'd recommend a DA first pull (if you're using it in Production), then simulate an SA pull for each additional target.  Let the trigger out to the point where it would reset if the gun had cycled, then pull it back to the frame.

Edited by TennJeep1618

2 minutes ago, TennJeep1618 said:

With that gun, I'd recommend a DA first pull (if you're using it in Production), then simulate an SA pull for each additional target.  Let the trigger out to the point where it would reset if the gun had cycled, then pull it back to the frame.

Okay, thanks for the advice! I suppose pulling the trigger back to the frame as fast as possible without disturbing sight alignment would be a good way to practice trigger discipline?

1 minute ago, Blackstone45 said:

Okay, thanks for the advice! I suppose pulling the trigger back to the frame as fast as possible without disturbing sight alignment would be a good way to practice trigger discipline?

Indeed.  Most people pull the trigger with much more than the required force when they're shooting a stage, so practicing proper technique during dry fire should help.

When pulling the trigger at some significant speed, I get some wobble in the sight alignment. It's nothing serious, but would make a significant distance out to 25m

It does seem to be caused by my middle finger moving slightly as well. Is it physically possible to train the trigger finger to move quickly without moving the middle finger? 

29 minutes ago, Blackstone45 said:

When pulling the trigger at some significant speed, I get some wobble in the sight alignment. It's nothing serious, but would make a significant distance out to 25m

It does seem to be caused by my middle finger moving slightly as well. Is it physically possible to train the trigger finger to move quickly without moving the middle finger? 

That may mean that your strong hand is gripping the gun too tightly.  A good way to mask/overcome that is to grip the gun harder with your weak hand.

You should be able to grip with both hands very hard, like 80% of your max grip strength and be able to move your trigger finger ONLY with no other movement.  It takes time, and lots of dry fire practice.  I use the Ben Stoeger mini dry fire kits and dry fire at least 3 targets (usually 1 open, 2 partial and plate rack or a couple of poppers) for each exercise I'm doing.  Grip very firmly, and evenly with both hands and the sight should pretty much not move.   

Grip strength training will help a lot.  The more tuned all your muscles are the easier it is to isolate their movement.  Another thing to think about is that when you are gripping "evenly" with both hands you will probably perceive that you are gripping much harder with your weak hand.  At least, until serious grip strength training makes them actually even. 

On 10/11/2017 at 11:54 PM, Glock26Toter said:

You should be able to grip with both hands very hard, like 80% of your max grip strength and be able to move your trigger finger ONLY with no other movement...

Grip very firmly, and evenly with both hands and the sight should pretty much not move.   

Another thing to think about is that when you are gripping "evenly" with both hands you will probably perceive that you are gripping much harder with your weak hand. 

For the record, since you specifically mention Ben Stoeger, he grips approximately twice as hard with the offhand as the trigger hand. I know this because he demonstrated his grip pressure with each hand atop mine, in turn, while I was holding the gun.

Most of the top GMs out there teaching right now use a softer trigger-hand grip and a harder weak hand grip than you’re advocating. More like 50-60% strong hand and 110% weakhand: gripping with every ounce of crush force you can manage without causing the gun to shake.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Try taping the hammer back. You wont get the DA long pull on the first pull, but it works great for the rest of the DF exercise.  I have tried the full DA pull on the first DF "shot" and not allowing the trigger back to fully reset for subsequent SA "shots" - but I still need to work on this particular aspect. 

On 10/13/2017 at 4:37 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

For the record, since you specifically mention Ben Stoeger, he grips approximately twice as hard with the offhand as the trigger hand. I know this because he demonstrated his grip pressure with each hand atop mine, in turn, while I was holding the gun.

Most of the top GMs out there teaching right now use a softer trigger-hand grip and a harder weak hand grip than you’re advocating. More like 50-60% strong hand and 110% weakhand: gripping with every ounce of crush force you can manage without causing the gun to shake.

220px-Facebook_like_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2017 at 1:37 PM, 1911builder said:

has anyone tried the dry fire magazine that resets the trigger? maybe someone could modify it to fit the sp01

;

Never heard of this gadget. Want to learn more. Who makes it?