Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Edge Factory or Tuned??

drivenagain

I shot a buddies STI DVC 3-Gun at a local match, and it was hands down the most amazing pistol I've ever fired.  It runs flawlessly with no issues shooting factory 124gr 9mm

I have since been researching the purchase of an STI Edge to replace my Glock 17.  I have seen some reports of issues with stock STI's out of the box, some saying that their quality control isnt what it used to be.

But I know some guys who say they are perfect out of the box, so I'm getting some conflicting info and hoping you guys could help.

Ive finally found an amazing shooting platform, just not sure if I need a Brazos/Titan/CK to be safe.  Thanks!

Jason

You can get a stock STI Edge and always have it "tuned." My stock Edge (.40) had a couple of failure to go completely into battery during the first 500 rounds using off-the-shelf ammo (MagTech, Fiocchi, Federal), but that could have been the magazine or just a "break-in" issue. Just tapping the rear of the slide seated the rounds. Other than that, no issues.

The custom guns are much more expensive. Atlas pistols have increased in price. You can find a stock STI Edge for $2000 less than a custom Limited gat. I went with stock because if I decided Limited major was not to my liking I could always sell the gun for minor loss. Jumping into a more expensive pistol and more expensive magazines (MBX, etc.) is something that you can always do later. Start at the base. Next step would be gunsmith tuning. Next step would be sell/trade for a custom pistol.

I've seen a lot of local people buy DVCs or custom guns and have some issues or they quickly soured on the guns because they did not go from C Class to Master immediately. I shoot better than several people with "custom guns."

53 minutes ago, Steppenwolf said:

You can get a stock STI Edge and always have it "tuned." My stock Edge (.40) had a couple of failure to go completely into battery during the first 500 rounds using off-the-shelf ammo (MagTech, Fiocchi, Federal), but that could have been the magazine or just a "break-in" issue. Just tapping the rear of the slide seated the rounds. Other than that, no issues.

The custom guns are much more expensive. Atlas pistols have increased in price. You can find a stock STI Edge for $2000 less than a custom Limited gat. I went with stock because if I decided Limited major was not to my liking I could always sell the gun for minor loss. Jumping into a more expensive pistol and more expensive magazines (MBX, etc.) is something that you can always do later. Start at the base. Next step would be gunsmith tuning. Next step would be sell/trade for a custom pistol.

I've seen a lot of local people buy DVCs or custom guns and have some issues or they quickly soured on the guns because they did not go from C Class to Master immediately. I shoot better than several people with "custom guns."

Thanks!!  This is what I was looking to hear, I'm looking at a used Edge this week with 1500 rds thru it.  

I started in the 2011 game with a used Edge. I have had zero issues with it. Several friends have bought brand new ones. Some needed minor tuning (extractors, slide stops), others ran like a top from day one. If you are just testing the waters, hard to go wrong with a used one from here. Just my personal experience.

I have an Atlas Titan and love it. But if I'd only had 2k and wanted a new gun I wouldn't hesitate at all to get the Brazos tuned one.

If you were pretty familiar with the 2011 platform and could accurately assess and work on one, then I also wouldn't hesitate to get a used one.

I bought a used 40 cal Edge it runs great no issues. I really like it I can run major or download some and run minor. Ran 5000 through it this season no signs of wear. I just had a smith look at it when he put a *thumb rest [generic]* on for me no issues. Great solid guns.

12 hours ago, Water63 said:

I bought a used 40 cal Edge it runs great no issues. I really like it I can run major or download some and run minor. Ran 5000 through it this season no signs of wear. I just had a smith look at it when he put a *thumb rest [generic]* on for me no issues. Great solid guns.

great feedback thanks!!!

I bought an Edge last year to be my primary while waiting for my SVI, it is my backup now. After 20K or so rounds through it the only thing I had to replace was a broken extractor (other than recoil springs). I did have a trigger job (EGW parts), pinned grip safety (Ed Brown part) and also replaced the grip with SVI grip (to be compatible with my SVI holster insert).

I'd say at minimum do a trigger job anything else is personal preference.

2 hours ago, tanks said:

I bought an Edge last year to be my primary while waiting for my SVI, it is my backup now. After 20K or so rounds through it the only thing I had to replace was a broken extractor (other than recoil springs). I did have a trigger job (EGW parts), pinned grip safety (Ed Brown part) and also replaced the grip with SVI grip (to be compatible with my SVI holster insert).

I'd say at minimum do a trigger job anything else is personal preference.

Im about to move my Glock 17 CO gun to fund this move, this news is great to hear.  Looking forward to a heavy gun and going back to iron sights

odds are you'll be completely happy with a stock edge.  but for a couple hundred more you can get brazos hp edge where they do some reliability work and trigger job.  i have and love mine.  but also have some factory sti's that i love, but have dropped in the brazos trigger groups on each.

I have a brand new STI Edge in 40 caliber. I have not run more than 300 rounds through it as yet. Had to polish the ramp as well as tune the magazines a bit to make it more reliable but all seems well now. Looking to change the recoilmaster springs soon.

21 hours ago, Zulu77 said:

I have a brand new STI Edge in 40 caliber. I have not run more than 300 rounds through it as yet. Had to polish the ramp as well as tune the magazines a bit to make it more reliable but all seems well now. Looking to change the recoilmaster springs soon.

failure to feed issues?

I bought a brand new edge in 2000. Had feeding issues, I took it to a local guy and he lowered the barrel into the frame and that gun ran with anything I put in it. I also had other work done to it. Blended the beavertail better, serrated the rear of the slide at 40 LPI, new hammer and the trigger lightened up, STI magwell and a hard chrome job. That gun shot way better than I could. I'm sure it was capable of a national championship if I could do my part. Sold it about 2 years ago and bought a basically new ground up build on an SV frame from a friend. The guy I sold it too has had 0 issues with it. STI makes great guns and their customer service is also great.

On 10/8/2017 at 8:17 AM, drivenagain said:

I shot a buddies STI DVC 3-Gun at a local match, and it was hands down the most amazing pistol I've ever fired.  It runs flawlessly with no issues shooting factory 124gr 9mm

I have since been researching the purchase of an STI Edge to replace my Glock 17.  I have seen some reports of issues with stock STI's out of the box, some saying that their quality control isnt what it used to be.

But I know some guys who say they are perfect out of the box, so I'm getting some conflicting info and hoping you guys could help.

Ive finally found an amazing shooting platform, just not sure if I need a Brazos/Titan/CK to be safe.  Thanks!

Jason

I really like the STI 9mm DVC, I tried someone's as well but I was not going to spend that much for a 3 gun firearm so I bought  G34 and had it tuned.  If you have the budget, go with a standard STI and check it out before getting it tuned.  

I bought a stock Edge in 40 a few years back.  Had feeding issues with factory ammo.  Got my press's conversion kit and started loading my own (long - 1.180")  tweaked the mag lips a bit to give the bullets a slight "nose up" and polished the feed ramp with 600 grit sandpaper.  I think I fired around 5000 rounds before having 1 malfunction.  I installed a C&S warp speed drop in trigger kit, it felt a bit better; better option would have been a trigger job by a good gunsmith but there aren't many around where I live.  I've fired over 7500 rounds not and love it. 

Whatever it’s worth...I have 2 of DAVE Dawson’s 9 mm Edges....he was still doing trigger work then...now it’s add on parts..I get it. Very happy with the pistols and great service as well!

if I were do order another I would definitely go with Brazos.......or get an Atlas Titan and be done with it....lol.......