Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trading online

Topgeer

What is the common practice for trading online?  I found a gun I wanted from someone a couple states away.... They also have agreed upon what I would like to trade.  How do these trades work to protect both parties?

If the other party is not  known to me, or a  long-time member of the BE community,

I insist on THEM sending me whatever they're going to send FIRST, and then I send

whatever they're supposed to get.

I am positive that I'll live up to the bargain - no way of knowing if They will.

But, that's just me   :) 

I've never sold or traded anything on the forum but have purchased a few items through the years.

I limited my purchases to members in good standing with high post counts.  On more expensive items I've chatted with them prior to sending funds.

Other than one deal where some crook intercepted my check before it made it to the seller, all have been smooth transactions.

In reality, since you doing this with handguns, legally you should be doing it through FFL's because it is interstate.  There is your protection right there.  You send your firearm to a FFL and the other person sends theirs to an FFL and until each FFL gets contacted to release the handgun to the party picking it up (meaning each have sent theirs and all is well), then they don't get released.  If the FFL gets the a okay to release the handgun, then all is well.

Of course you're going to pay an FFL fee to do this, but most of the time it isn't much.  I only charge $20 for a transfer, so if you both pay $20 for the trade, it really isn't a big deal and that is $20 to ensure your transaction goes well and no one gets screwed.  I would just contact the FFL's first to ensure all is well with them and they understand the deal and ask about pricing first, just to make sure everyone is on the same page.

Plus, as I said, this is the LEGAL way to do it when you trade or sell firearms across state lines.  Just shipping the firearms to each other is NOT legal.  Just sayin'.  Sorry to be the party pooper.  :-/ 

On 10/10/2017 at 11:14 AM, Mountbkr said:

I am the other party in this trade and we are both using FFLs for the transfer, no way I would consider doing it any other way as i know @Topgeer wouldn't either.

Mountbkr - Then you guys are good to go then.  :)  I didn't see Topgeer mention anything about sending through FFL's, so that is why I mentioned it.

So, as I said, I would just have both of you notify the other respective FFL's not to release the firearms you sent to the other party until you give the okay.  This way both of you can ensure that the firearms you sent will be held until you give the okay.  Then if you both go to your respective FFL's to pick up your new firearms and they are good to go, you can call your FFL's and release the firearms you sent and you are both good to go.  :)  That ensures everyone is happy.

21 hours ago, R1_Demon said:

Mountbkr - Then you guys are good to go then.  :)  I didn't see Topgeer mention anything about sending through FFL's, so that is why I mentioned it.

So, as I said, I would just have both of you notify the other respective FFL's not to release the firearms you sent to the other party until you give the okay.  This way both of you can ensure that the firearms you sent will be held until you give the okay.  Then if you both go to your respective FFL's to pick up your new firearms and they are good to go, you can call your FFL's and release the firearms you sent and you are both good to go.  :)  That ensures everyone is happy.

That is kind of what I was thinking.  I have an FFL myself. But I have talk to Tim a few times and feel confident in the trade.  We both exchanged our information with one another. Even on FB.  As we discussed we are both really easy people to find. Lol