Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best training techniques and resources for USPSA stage planning.

Hi there guys, I am relatively new to USPSA, and am looking for some resources to assist in stage planning. 

On the short courses, I am keeping up with top of the pack in my local matches, but in the more complex stages, making and executing a plan has been a bit harder than expected. I can clearly see stage planning in the upper echelons isn't a part of the game, it IS the game. 

Aside from just setting up courses and running them, what do you guys do to drill it ?

I've heard a lot of good things about Ben Stoeger's books on the subject, any other reading or viewing suggestions ?

Thanks for your time, have a great day.

Honestly, go to a GM that knows how to tech and take a class.  Not all GM’s can tech so 

Max Michel for anything with a dot 

Manny Bragg limited 

Shannon Smith open 

Ben Stoger Production 

mental Steve Anderson 

or any combo you like, 

this way I don’t show favorites. Lol

If you are a newbie then taking a class and doing what they suggest will be the best bang for your dollar. It will be fastest way to get to where you want to be or do it the hard way and make every mistake in the book over and over again than end up in a class kicking yourself for not doing it when you where a newbie.

All the best, 

Matt

Edited by a matt

Thanks Matt, thats likely good advice. I used to teach on the defensive side of things a bit, and I know its that way over there. And hell yes, being good at executing a plan, or performing under pressure has very little to do with being able to teach well.

I've been doing USPSA for about five months, so definitely still a bit green, I've yet to win an overall, annoyingly hanging around 2nd-3rd in limited shooting minor.

I will likely take a class from Stoeger when I am able, in the interim just looking for any training regimens, new ideas, or study resources that more experienced people are using.

Thanks for your comment and advice.

4 hours ago, Chrishoward1364 said:

Thanks Matt, thats likely good advice. I used to teach on the defensive side of things a bit, and I know its that way over there. And hell yes, being good at executing a plan, or performing under pressure has very little to do with being able to teach well.

I've been doing USPSA for about five months, so definitely still a bit green, I've yet to win an overall, annoyingly hanging around 2nd-3rd in limited shooting minor.

I will likely take a class from Stoeger when I am able, in the interim just looking for any training regimens, new ideas, or study resources that more experienced people are using.

Thanks for your comment and advice.

Take a look at how many non-A hits you get. You lose 1 point for each compared to folks shooting limited major ;)

ChuckS, yup, I've run all the math on that, and know how thats affecting my percentages, though I hit a high enough percentage of A's that its not a significant difference. I don't think I've had a match yet where it actually would have bumped me from second to first or anything that dramatic. I will likely be transitioning to production and a shadow 2 to eliminate that disparity and get on a level playing field with minor scoring. I just don't particularly like, and don't want to pay for .40.

I suppose if USPSA wants to keep silly rules on caliber and scoring, I'll do my best to avoid the penalties. 

Thanks for the advisement nonetheless, its appreciated.

Maybe you can follow this, on complicated stages after you find the targets and all the position you must go to, just think about economy, straight lines. hard leans, the easy positions to exit from or enter to. If the position seem equal and you must shoot from say both sides (of whatever) chances are you have a more confident side to enter or leave from). Play to your strengths as much as you can then work on your weaknesses in practice. You are only as good as you are now,  so that won’t change the day of or even/match so don’t use a match as training. Treat em like majors and make them mean something. 

Maybe go shoot with the best shooter at the local matches and watch and see if you can pick up free tips.  We can all learn something from all levels of shooters. It may not all be good..... Smh

Try to shoot with friends so you can bounce ideas of stage planning off one another. That’s a easy one. Most any shoot likes to talk shooting so ask questions (at the right times). 

I think most importantly is after you decided how you are going to shoot a stage,

1. don’t change your plan it without PLENTY of time to RE-memorize the whole stage (like starting over) not just that short cut you found.

2. Memorize the stage with every shot hitting the Alphas. Like you’re watching a movie in slow motion so you can see as much detail as possible.

3. Let go and don’t think about shooting.

let your subconscious do all the work and if you have visualized a good stage plan well enough you won’t need to think about the shooting, moving, reloads etc. all you need to do is see the sights when the shot breaks. That’s it, play the movie (of your run)  as many times as it takes to memorize the stage, then do it more and all you think about is calling you shoots or watching the sights as the shot breaks after the start.

Heck maybe you can get a nugget or so from all this, damn if I know. lol cheers

Thanks @a matt, I'll take all that under advisement.

To one of your points, I was raised hearing "every man is my

equal in that I may learn something from him" all the time, and I have learned more about the sport watching other shooters than any other method.

All of that is legitimate, and valued, thanks for taking the time to write it.

Have a great day.

Good stuff from @a matt

Of the things I learned from Ben last year one  is make the shooting as easy as possible.  Trying to do crazy gamer stuff does not usually result in better stage times.  Another is stage plans dont make that much of a difference.  If a top guy shoots a stage two different ways, their score will be very similar either way.  Make shooting easier while eliminating extra shooting positions if possible.  Find the most efficient route from point A to point B.  Hustle.  If your not shooting your losing points.  If your shooting minor, your losing points.  If I shot the same stage major and then minor in limited, my major self will beat my minor self, every time.  While your just getting started its understandable.  But if you want to play the limited game competitively you need to be shooting major. 

The basics of stage planning is

1. Confirm the stage start requirements.  You only have to start the way its written.  

2. Where do "I" start (If there are multiple start options, what are you most comfortable with?)   

3. Find ALL the targets

4. Where can I see the targets?

5. In what order can I shoot the targets most efficiently (this is usually a shoot them as you seem them answer)?

6. Where do I need to reload?  There are times where you may only shoot 8 rounds or similar in limited before reloading.

On activation sequences you have to learn what your capable of to know how to shoot a certain sequence.  There are plenty of times I see a GM shoot an activation sequence I know I am not confident doing, so I have to play my game at those times.  

As Matt said, once you have determined your stage plan...commit to it.  Changing your plan last minute because the local hot dog shot it a different way is a recipe for disaster.  You should be rehearsing the stage plan in your mind over and over and over until its your turn to shoot.  The execution of your plan will then be automatic.  If the days and weeks after your match you cant recall all of your stages in detail, you did not mentally prepare those stages correctly.  

On 10/6/2017 at 11:40 PM, Chrishoward1364 said:

I can clearly see stage planning in the upper echelons isn't a part of the game, it IS the game. 

At the top of the game everyone is going to run the stage pretty much the same way, and if not the results will be pretty much the same either way.  Mental preparation and execution is the game at the top.  The top of the top is decided by points shot. 

As a team-mate told me, and I don't always consciously think about these, as I consider myself a pretty good stage planner, but he's very methodical:

1) find all of the targets (count them)

2) find where the mandatory shooting positions are (targets can only be shot from that position)

3) find shooting positions where you can maximize available targets 

4) seek to consolidate shooting positions when feasible (not ALWAYS the fastest way)

5) identify which order of shooting positions require more movement (most shooting in USPSA is done stationary, not on the move, so moving to a new position is wasted time)

6) calculate whether added time is worth the benefit (i.e. 4 more steps going to the right means fully exposed targets, but will likely add 2 seconds. Are the splits and transitions that will be faster worth the movement time)

The key to this being successful is knowing your capabilities and your limits.  A winning stage plan may include shooting a mini popper at 35 yards from the start and cutting out a shooting position, but if it takes you more than 2 seconds to do it consistently, you may be better off running it the conservative way.  Play to your strengths and don't try new things during the match (although I consider local matches practice so sometimes I will).  You must also identify when you need to concede a stage, know that you have a low chance of getting the HHF and shoot it conservatively so as not to lose too many points in the match. 

The first major I shot, I walked the stages for almost 3 hours.  I found it incredibly fun, trying to figure out the best way to solve the puzzle.  I would recommend going to a major match, preferably with a good shooter (GM-A) and walk the stages in as many ways as possible.  Knowing your limits and capabilities takes time, so the more you practice, the better!  good luck

@bluedevil008 I followed along, and overdid walkthroughs at a sectional few months back, and it definitely improved my game. Being in a squad with a few GM and master shooters was great. 

I've picked up the conservative plan to stop the point bleeding on stages suited to another shooter as well, adopting a few guidelines to help.

Game where you can, play it safe where you can't.

Learn to game more often in the stages that have large benefits for it.

Don't lose sight of solid, consistent, fast work that you know you can do, for a very slight benefit if it's avoidable. 

Also making an arithmetic for the sport, to calculate movement and the speed/point differentials for various plans. 

Thanks for the advice, its appreciated.