Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel ramp to frame ramp engagment

FunkyTownAggie

I had a new upper with C/P ramp barrel fit to my STI eagle frame and had the frame cut C/P. My original upper has a N/W ramped barrel. The original upper will fit in the newly cut C/P frame but this obviously leaves a lot of room between the frame ramp and barrel ramp. I was wondering how much engagment/impact this area takes while firing. You can see where I’m going here can’t you. The obvious right answer is to get a new C/P ramped barrel fit to the eagle slide. 

Without the VIS and HIS being timed and located correctly the link will be the thing that has to stop the barrels rearward travel....you may get one shot, maybe a dozen or more before it’s catastrophic failure.

id be curious to know so please report back on how long it takes to break your gun

Cool, sounds good.

by the way, it’s semantics and probably my own issue but “upper” to me = AR15, and “Top end” = built by someone who gives a damn....call it whatever you want to but my mom could assemble an upper from YouTube, but if she needed a file it’s gonna be for her nails. (Though an emery file has its place in metal work she just doesn’t know it)

5 hours ago, kimberacp said:

I believe you could have had the C/P barrel cut or trimmed to fit the N/W.    Not sure but someone will verify...

I believe that's correct, but also read the C/P was superior in some ways, although I'll probably never realize those benefits.  I figured with that being said, i'd just have a new C/P barrel fit to the original top end.

“Top end”, I like it!

i believe you are correct on being able to cut a - c/p barrel to w/n and you can also cut a w/n frame to a cp but not the opposite.

the c/p barrel frame is superior in my opinion due to more consistency and strength during lockup.  Strength is due to more surface area on a radius vs a flat and consistency is sure to the frame shoe horning the barrel into alignment vs hitting a flat which could be left or right of consistent center line.

i believe this is true but someone who gets paid to build them can correct me if I’m wrong