Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going to the Back up gun

WaJim

Just got back from Nationals.

Found out that If you break your Primary and go to your Back-up...there's no returning to the Primary the next day If you fix it.....unless your Back-up breaks.

My back up was sighted in a year or so ago but apparently things change. I did sight it in on day one for day two and three....... after I trashed three stages.

Note to self: The Back up better be as good as your primary ...and sighted in before you leave for a Major Match.

It was a 1107 mile drive...one way.

I was not a good Boy Scout.

3 hours ago, rondog said:

What broke on the primary?

Rear sight STI 2011......lost the part in the dirt amongst millions of spent casings.

Good buddy of mine had the parts and tools to install a new from the hinge up after that day of shooting.

Teeeeeeniest of pin punches.

3 hours ago, DukeEB said:

Should have brought the better backup along with the bad backup lol.  After all, no weight limits when you're driving!

Said I was a Bad Boy Scout...

The better backup may or may not have made chrono........and the added weight would have taken the front wheel bearing out sooner...bwahahaha

• 2 weeks later...

I am too unmotivated to bring a backup; part of that decision is also influenced by the fact that I shoot Production guns (not the fidgety fancy kind, the boring kind).

Everything can break, however.  But the decision weighed more heavily on not bringing that much gear to a match.

However, I agree with the thought process of always having a backup.  And then a backup for that backup.