Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A couple questions about gun finish and ejector

bbg

I started building a 2011 and with the help of the board members I have finished most of it. I have a couple questions:>

1. I have an extended ejector. When I put some snap caps in the magazine and try to load it, most of time it ejects fine but there is always issue when it comes down to the last round. It seems that the round was stuck between the ejector and the barrel. Does it mean I should file down the tip of the ejector a little? The barrel is NW ramped barrel. The ramp protrudes into the frame a little but I don't have feeding issue. Do I need to file the ramp to be flush

2. How do I clean up the gun? Is there any easy way to get rid off lapping compound in tiny corners? How do I polish the outside of the gun? There are some scratches and marks. If I am going to get it coated, do I need to polish it before sending it out?

Thank you.

Is this an open gun or a standard 2011?  l suggest that you file the ejector little by little until it will completely eject the bullet (this depends on the bullet you want to use).  Then fire the gun around 1K rounds before you do anything else.

Make sure the magazine with one bullet left will eject properly. It's because during the course of fire, the remaining bullet will go forward a little bit, so when you eject the magazine, the bullet nose or magazine follower will touch the  ramp of the barrel. If this happens and your magazine get's stuck, start filing the protruding barrel ramp little by little until the magazine can be released without any issues.

About the scratches, start finalizing until the gun will no longer have a problem. You may use a regular metal polish or buff polish by Brownell's.

Hope this helps. Good luck. 

No need to file the ramp if you are not having any feeding issues.  If you do you could create feeding issues. 

The prep work and flaw removal is usually included when you refinish a gun.  I ran my 2011 in the raw this season and will send it to APW for refinishing soon.  

Edited by jwhittin
Clarity

Thanks. It is just a standard 2011. I think the mag might be touching the ramp causing the issue. I haven't got a chance to look at it right now but I will when I get back home.

4 hours ago, RonPogi said:

Is this an open gun or a standard 2011?  l suggest that you file the ejector little by little until it will completely eject the bullet (this depends on the bullet you want to use).  Then fire the gun around 1K rounds before you do anything else.

Make sure the magazine with one bullet left will eject properly. It's because during the course of fire, the remaining bullet will go forward a little bit, so when you eject the magazine, the bullet nose or magazine follower will touch the  ramp of the barrel. If this happens and your magazine get's stuck, start filing the protruding barrel ramp little by little until the magazine can be released without any issues.

About the scratches, start finalizing until the gun will no longer have a problem. You may use a regular metal polish or buff polish by Brownell's.

Hope this helps. Good luck. 

I put 5 snap caps in and i didn't see feeding issue. Just some ejecting issues occasionally and the last round is FTE.

3 hours ago, jwhittin said:

No need to file the ramp if you are not having any feeding issues.  If you do you could create feeding issues. 

The prep work and flaw removal is usually included when you refinish a gun.  I ran my 2011 in the raw this season and will send it to APW for refinishing soon.  

I take the recoil spring and guide rod out and manually cycle the gun. It feeds and ejects the round perfectly. When I put the recoil spring and guide rod back, it will have issue throwing the round out. Is it because the slide is not traveling fast enough by hand when recoil spring is in?

• 2 weeks later...

Check that the ejector nose isn't to long.  The barrel ramp can overhang the frame but only slightly, if the front of the mag isn't hitting then it should be ok.  And, if your having the finish done by the pros they will take care of scratches and marks, it's usually included in the price.

• 2 weeks later...

What was the need to allow the ejector to remain so long? As you know, the ejector's job is to kick the spent case out once the case clears the chamber. The tip of the ejector does not need to be exceedingly long, it only needs to do its job prior to the halting of the reward movement of the slide. The ramp should not protrude into the magwell, but lets define how far it is protruding. Is it .010" or enough to interfere with the magazine and the rounds as the come upward? As far as prepping the metal prior to coating, if it is Cerakote, it will get 120 or so grit media blasting by the finisher, so I would remove any noticeable machine marks, but not get too crazy towards a polish.

Andy Cree