Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AtlantaArms 38 Super powder

10ring

10 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

They won’t be using something you can buy off the shelf as far as powder. Something purchased in bulk designed for manufacturers, instead.

+1 I also tried to no avail several years ago to find this answer. I have friends in the business and they could not dig out the correct answer. Would love to know.

Quite by coincadence, I called them last week to find out what powder they used in their 38SC.  The girl that answered didn't know, their tech guy was gone for the day so I left my email address.  The next day I received an email that said that the type of powder they use was proprietary. 

2 hours ago, RileyLV said:

Quite by coincadence, I called them last week to find out what powder they used in their 38SC.  The girl that answered didn't know, their tech guy was gone for the day so I left my email address.  The next day I received an email that said that the type of powder they use was proprietary. 

It’d be ridiculous for them to give any other answer.

• 2 weeks later...

What difference does it make? Do they have some Magic powder? They don’t and if we take our time when we load out owns billets we can come up with better Ammo for our owns guns than AA can. Thanks 

Edited by a matt

19 minutes ago, a matt said:

What difference does it make? Do they have some Magic powder? They don’t and if we take our time when we load out owns billets we can come up with better Ammo for our owns guns than AA can. Thanks 

The difference was that SVI states that 3N38 is the only approved powder for their guns with ports. I was interested to know if they used that powder.

"The only powder we recommend for use with our IMM Open® firearms with hybrid holes or ports in the barrels is VV 3N38. There are no known substitutes at this time. "

After a year it doesn’t matter what they recommend, it’s not like they offer a lifetime warranty, all though i dont

kniw about the original owner situation. I only know about an SV just over a year old and being the 2nd owner.

I run 3n38 and I have played with AA#7 and that is about the closest to 3n38 avalible in the states but Vetcan SP-2 is closer than AA#7 but we have have not

been able to get it in the states for a while now.

Edited by a matt

1 hour ago, a matt said:

After a year it doesn’t matter what they recommend, it’s not like they offer a lifetime warranty, all though i dont

kniw about the original owner situation. I only know about an SV just over a year old and being the 2nd owner.

I run 3n38 and I have played with AA#7 and that is about the closest to 3n38 avalible in the states but Vetcan SP-2 is closer than AA#7 but we have have not

been able to get it in the states for a while now.

Nice to know!

On a similar topic, I have been shooting and carrying Sig V-Crown 125 gr factory ammo for my 5" Super.   The factory load chrono's at 1247 fps avg of 15 rounds fired @ 15 feet.   Went home pulled a bullet looked at the powder, looked just like Power Pistol, weight 5 factory rounds avg was 6.7gr.    Called Sierra for load data on the bullet (they make the bullet for Sig) and the max load for Power Pistol is 7.8gr which is well above 6.7gr.   Loaded 5.7gr with a some V-crown bullets I bought at the gunshop and shot them.    15 rounds avg 1245 fps @ 15 feet which I would say is pretty darn close.