Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 9mm pistols recoils springs/mainsprings combinations

Orbit

Friends,

I am now reloading and be able to create my ideal recipee for 9mm loads. Now, I am in the process of finding the right combinations of recoil and main springs weight.

My load is the following:

147g projectile

1.112" OAL

3.3 TG

I am looking for the best combinations of recoil/mainsprings weights for the following pistols:

CZ Shadow 1 & 2

STI Spartan

Thanks

Edited by Orbit
correction

It's going to come down to how your load fires in your gun and your personal preference.  I use a 17# MS with a 10# (IIRC) recoil spring for my 3-gun setup in my 5" Eagle with lightened slide and bushing barrel.

Wolff sells a spring set that comes with a bunch of weights so we can swap them out real quick and figure out what you like.

Spartan V:  17lb main and 9lb recoil

CZ SP01:  11.5 main, 10lb recoil

CZ Shadow 2:  11.5 main, 10lb recoil

I've used 147gr Acme and 124gr Acme/Extreme plated/MG CMJ.  

Hi bluedevil and msg73,

i did my chrono yesterday and prefer the loads of 130pf 9mm, using titegroup. After that i tried different recoil spring and preferred the following even though a bit bouncy:

STI Trojan/Spatan

-orig MS and 10 lbs recoil

CZ Shadow 1 & 2

-13 lbs ms and 11 lbs recoil

I will still do some test with videos.

Find a main/hammer spring that will set off your primers reliably, then play around with different recoil springs. Go out and shoot two quick shots in a clean target and see where your second shot lands relative to the first. If the 2nd shot is low, that usually means the recoil spring is too strong (or you're jerking the trigger). Keep trying until you see a consistent pattern 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/19/2017 at 3:08 PM, msg73 said:

Go out and shoot two quick shots in a clean target and see where your second shot lands relative to the first. If the 2nd shot is low, that usually means the recoil spring is too strong (or you're jerking the trigger). Keep trying until you see a consistent pattern 

^^^ Really good advice!