Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suggestions for improving on transitions?

muncie21

Let's start off by acknowledging that I'm a C shooter, with room for improvement in many areas.

Recently I noticed that the majority of my mikes/deltas were on the last shot before moving (either upper body rotation or full reset) to my next shooting position.  I suspect that I'm moving a bit too early, however I don't want to stay in position long enough to actually see the bullet hit the mark/or not.

Realizing that being able to call your shot when the trigger is pressed would be the ideal solution, I'm not at that point yet.  Anyone have suggestions/drills for reducing this tendency to pull your shot prior to moving to the next shooting position?

12 hours ago, muncie21 said:

I'm moving too early, however I don't want to stay in position long enough to actually see the bullet hit.

You "just" have to "see the sights rise" - keep the sights on the target until the gun goes off and the

muzzle and sights lift".

See  ...   isn't that easy    .....

Unfortunately, that can take a LONG TIME to learn how to do it.   But, it does sound simple, doesn't it?

Good luck with it    :) 

• 3 weeks later...

See the pinned topic in this forum: 

Another drill I've seen is the "bowtie" exercise.  It's useful to have someone run the buzzer for you:

Place two metric targets about 3 yards apart and 7-10 yards away. 

• Start by aiming at the upper A on the left target.
  • On the beep, fire one shot and immediately move to the center A on the target on the right.
  • On the beep, fire one shot and immediately move up to the upper A on the target on the right.
  • On the beep, fire one shot and immediately move to the center A on the target on the left.
  • On the beep, fire one shot and immediately move to the upper A on the target on the left.

Rinse, repeat as necessary.

Edited by itlogo

On 9/26/2017 at 6:11 PM, muncie21 said:

...however I don't want to stay in position long enough to actually see the bullet hit the mark/or not.

Realizing that being able to call your shot when the trigger is pressed would be the ideal solution, I'm not at that point yet.  

That is the point you need to train to be at. No other tricks will work.

Shot calling meant nothing to me the first few years.  Somehow, one day, my eyes and brain caught up with each other and it just started happening.......it was magical.  And then my close vision started to fade.........I should have started shooting competitively 20 years earlier.

On 10/20/2017 at 3:37 PM, RangerTrace said:

Somehow, one day, my eyes and brain caught up with each other and it just started happening.......it was magical. 

I like that description of what happened.

From my experience, and I experimented with improving transitions a lot, the critical factor is making a perfect call on the last shot before the transition. When that happens, your eyes are free to decisively locate the next target, which is necessary for the sights to get there quickly.

The problem is rushing to do something else, it doesn’t matter if it’s the next target or the next position. I know most of my misses this year came from one or the other. A drill I came up with to help me is the shoot transition groups. Set up two targets, fire an accurate shot on the first target and as soon as the shot breaks drive the gun to the second target stopping in the A zone with a prepped trigger. Don’t fire the shot, just pause with a prepped trigger. Break an accurate shot and drive the gun back to the first target and stop with a prepped trigger. Break an accurate shot etc. Continue for a whole mag. The goal is to have two tight groups, one on each target, and to get the gun moving as soon as the shot breaks. If you move the gun early, you will see it. If you just start swinging the gun back and forth you will see it since you will have poor groups on both targets. Focus on a clean fast trigger press and drive the gun to the next target.

On 9/26/2017 at 7:11 PM, muncie21 said:

Realizing that being able to call your shot when the trigger is pressed would be the ideal solution, 

it's not so much when the trigger is pressed, but when the gun actually goes off that you care about.

If you tune out when you start pressing the trigger, and are not looking at the sights when the gun fires, you will have no idea where it is aimed, and it is likely to not still be aimed where it was when you started pressing the trigger. Of course you are in a hurry to start your movement, but you can start moving while still looking at the sights until the gun fires.

Edited by motosapiens

• 4 months later...
On 10/16/2017 at 6:58 PM, itlogo said:

See the pinned topic in this forum: 

Another drill I've seen is the "bowtie" exercise.  It's useful to have someone run the buzzer for you:

Place two metric targets about 3 yards apart and 7-10 yards away. 

• Start by aiming at the upper A on the left target.
  • On the beep, fire one shot and immediately move to the center A on the target on the right.
  • On the beep, fire one shot and immediately move up to the upper A on the target on the right.
  • On the beep, fire one shot and immediately move to the center A on the target on the left.
  • On the beep, fire one shot and immediately move to the upper A on the target on the left.

Rinse, repeat as necessary.

I love this I will be giving this a try on my next range outing.