Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 bullet feed angle

GringoBandito

I recently upgraded my 2011 to a steel grip and had to perform some modifications to the ejector to fix some feeding issues. I think I have everything worked out at this point but it got me thinking about bullets feed angle. Would it be possible to tune mags to feed directly into the barrel without impacting the feed ramp?

de4a11e77693c8a61157f928a6a8d025.jpg

97dc8638d59f1e24a019e56802444329.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted recently:

Beyond that you need to find the optimal OAL that works best for YOUR gun and magazines. Every barrel is slightly different in the depth and angle of the feed ramp. Every brand of magazine holds the top round at a slightly different height. These two variables combined require that the OAL of the ammo be tuned properly. The best way to verify if the OAL is the correct length is to observe where the tip of the bullet hits the feed ramp when you shoot. The best way to verify this is to use a sharpie marker and black out the feed ramp. Then load up a magazine to full capacity and shoot it at a normal competition speed until its empty. Remove the barrel and observe where on the feed ramp the sharpy marking is scuffed off. If the OAL is correct the scuff marking will be at half way up to three quarters up from the bottom of the ramp. If the scuff mark is lower, the OAL is too short. If the scuff mark is higher, then the OAL is too long. If the scuff marks are random all over the feed ramp, then the ammo is inconsistently made or the feed lips are not within spec.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of the regular guys I shoot with shoots open in 38sc.  He opened his mags up so they pointed right at the chamber.  Didn't seem like he listened to any of the published rules as far as feed lip dimensions.  His mags seem to run perfect but that said you can almost pull the round out of the top of the mag because the dimensions are so loose.  They work but it would make me nervous.  

• 1 month later...

It looks like the noses are hitting the top third of the ramp.  What is exactly the problem since you re-tuned your ejector (or was it the extractor)?

If you are still experiencing problems, it looks like you could go a touch shorter on OAL or try a different bullet profile.

Yes, you can tune OAL, feedlips & mag catch height to feed directly into the chamber, but that is not the norm (other than say the top round of a loaded mag).  By doing that you will abandon/reduce controlled feeding and decrease the margin for error by relying entirely too much on the feedlip release point.  It works for some setups, but I don't think that is best for most.  It may be limiting in the variety of ammo you can successfully use too.  

Edited by Yeti
added top round of full mag caveat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’ve tuned my mags a little more than what Adam from atlas gun works recommends and I still have bullet diving issues. Doesn’t hang the gun up at all, but if I rack out a live round that’s just been fed, you see the bottom of the feed ramp impression on the bullet. 

Its been fine fine with no problem but I believe Adam when he says the ramp is insurance. Check out his videos and go from there. Like I said, I’ve tuned mine a tad bit further than he recommends. No issues ever.