Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Matchsaver wont retain shell

Spartan1911

The actual Matchsaverz brand*, or some other shell holder?

*Those are often so tight that some folks think they are made for a 20 ga. Are you leaving a shell in it for days at a time?

Edited by GunCat
More info

So it really isn't a "saver" after all. Maybe it's just a match teaser, or a shell "spending" device. The marketing of these things just wouldn't be as robust if it was named by it's real title........Match shell shower! ?

Compare yours to another  Matchsaver to rule out a defective holder. If not obviously defective, sounds like either your shotgun is recoiling massively or shell is not positioned correctly.

Would push shell forward so matchsaver is clamping the metal shell base, which is slightly larger than the plastic hull. If that does not work, would consider roughing up inside of shell holder to increase friction. I would stipple a strip surrounding the shell, because it works to increase friction.

A less permanent option is to glue a thin strip of bicycle inner tube.

• 1 month later...

You may also be able to find another brand of shell to put in the match saver.  Some of the smooth hulls can be very slick.  I run a match saver on a pump for Heavy and have never had an issue but I did tilt the match saver so the recoil was not perfectly in line with the direction of the shell.

5 hours ago, Spartan1911 said:

Thanks guys. I found the solution. Apparently some idiot (me) installed the matchsaver backwards. Reversed it and ran a match successfully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not the first time anyone has ever done this.

Just my experience but I tokk some 100grit sandpaper & lightly roughed up the matchsaver.  I ran it in a circular manner, not long ways.  Worked great.  The plastic was so slick just wouldnt hold the shell consistently.  Remember I said "lightly"!!!! Very lightly.  Barely broke the shine lightly...

On 11/14/2017 at 5:37 PM, tattooo said:

The taccom stage saver is thicker & clicks the shell in.Works amazing and they are half the price.

Mine broke in half before I even made it to the range.

I just switched to the match saver brand and it works for me, just my experience.

On 11/14/2017 at 9:41 AM, Spartan1911 said:

Thanks guys. I found the solution. Apparently some idiot (me) installed the matchsaver backwards. Reversed it and ran a match successfully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol. How on earth did you get the shell out when practicing loading? When installed correctly, the front half is angled so your hand can grip the shell and get it out of the matchsaver. Not sure if you could actually get a grip on it if you had it backwards.

Mine broke in half before I even made it to the range.

I swear Taccom is just two dudes in a garage with a ultra basic 3D printer and a contractor account at Lowe's.

Edited by swordfish