Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Methods For Flying

djbb98

I have flown to a IDPA match before, but seeing it's just a pistol it fit right in the checked bag. But next year I'm looking at flying to some major 3 gun matches. What is everyones set up for flying. My plan was to go with a soft case inside of a hard case but I know there are many options for that. I've looked at the explorer cases although it seems the soft cases for those are kinda cheap. That's what I take away from pictures. Also my dad has a large Cabela's case and I've been looking at the Safariland 3 Gun Soft case that I could just put inside and use that case. Another issue might be the 12 round shotgun tube that I would perferebly not take of but will if needed. So what's everyone else use and your setup's.

I'm in a similar situation, flying early December for the 1st time, but I have friends who are old-hat walking me through it.  I'm flying soft case inside a Pelican Storm 3300, with 4 non-TSA locks.  No ammo (double-check for loose rounds after the match especially) in carry-on, ammo in checked baggage should be in a container designed to hold ammo, and check with airline for weight specifics to see how much extra costs versus mailing.  Sound about right?  Also, I've been told to walk up to the counter and say "I've got a gun," as opposed to "I'd like to declare a firearm."  Aren't my friends great? (Sarcasm)

Oh, also I went with a soft case that would fit my shotgun with the 12-rd tube, but made the concession that I'd have to unscrew it for the flight, there seem to be very few hard cases available over 52" in length, I think mine measures 53".

Edited by Nathan

4 hours ago, JesseTischauser said:

Just make sure you never ever ever put a carry gun in that air travel backpack.  It's easy to forget it and then you end up with a hairy situation at the airport.  

I learned the hard way.

I read your post on Facebook about that the other day. Definitely won't forget that part

Midway 3-gun soft case inside of a Pelican.  Took mea  few trips to get to the conclusion that it's best for me.  Those Patriot case setups that Brack Wilson sells are nice, I just don't have the cash to spend on replacing something that works for me.

Midway inside any of the Pelican 1700's that are made for two rifles is the cheapest way. Safariland inside a Patriot is the standard. You will get good at putting the mag tube back on your shotty so it fits. 

Get several good good locks that won't let the lid to be opened and raised enou so you can get a hand in otherwise the TSA will throw a flag at you. 

• 1 month later...