Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taccom ULW 9 mm barrel.....

I just bought a Taccom ULW 9 mm carbine barrel. It was only after I had made the purchase that I found out that most of it was a shroud and only 5.25 inches was actually barrel. It's my fault, of course, for not looking into the matter more thoroughly, but I just assumed it was carbine length (16"). 

Can anyone here clue me in as to the advantages of this barrel, if any? I understand the benefit of the lighter weight regarding transition shooting, but what about any loss of accuracy out of what is essentially a pistol barrel.

Also, wouldn't recoil be quite a bit more because of the inability to reduce the powder charge?

Thanks, Mike.

Edited by MikieM
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the website:

NOW……you can use your pet pistol reloads in a PCC barrel and not have to worry about spiked power factors!!

The TACCOM ULW 9mm Barrel is hands down the lightest barrel on the market for your AR15 PCC, weighing in at 15 ounces.

This barrel will give you the fastest swing possible from target to target. Keeping the velocities down close to your pistol velocities will mean that you will have less recoil, and yes, the recoil is sharp and very fast, yet very gentle as the pressure curve drops off fast with a shorter barrel.

Matching our barrel with one of our popular adjustable 2 stage 9mm system is like a match made in heaven. The barrel itself has an 11 degree target crown and with pistol caliber velocities you have a very accurate and light weight set up.

We designed this barrel with the PCC competitor in mind.

9mm burns it's powder charge in 5-8" of barrel, so a 16" barrel could actually make the bullet slower as it leaves the muzzle, depending on the powder used. A bullet travelling in a barrel without any burning powder behind it is inefficient. Accuracy is a function of the rifling imparting twist on the bullet, thereby stabilizing it's flight. If the bullet is stabilized in 5.5" of rifled barrel, it's as mechanically accurate as it ever going to get. Rifles with a true rifle caliber are burning lots more powder, therefore it's more efficient to have more rifling.

As to recoil, it is a bit more bouncy, but transitions are so much faster. Do Bill drills til you get the timing down, it rocks. The PCC Nat'ls were won with a similar barrel set up. I tried shooting a buddy's 16" with a 15" Keymod handguard. Felt like pushing a battle ship left to right.

1 hour ago, HI5-O said:

From the website:

NOW……you can use your pet pistol reloads in a PCC barrel and not have to worry about spiked power factors!!

The TACCOM ULW 9mm Barrel is hands down the lightest barrel on the market for your AR15 PCC, weighing in at 15 ounces.

This barrel will give you the fastest swing possible from target to target. Keeping the velocities down close to your pistol velocities will mean that you will have less recoil, and yes, the recoil is sharp and very fast, yet very gentle as the pressure curve drops off fast with a shorter barrel.

Matching our barrel with one of our popular adjustable 2 stage 9mm system is like a match made in heaven. The barrel itself has an 11 degree target crown and with pistol caliber velocities you have a very accurate and light weight set up.

We designed this barrel with the PCC competitor in mind.

My thoughts on this are:

1. What are spiked power factors. This is the first I've heard of them.

2. At 15 ounces it probably is the lightest, but that is a given, considering it's construction.

3. Fast swing, probably, but keeping bullet velocity close to the shooters original velocity is misleading. And, how does sharp, and fast, translate to gentle?

I'd like to hear from someone who has one.

I'm experimenting with long range (100 yard) 9mm loads.  My typical USPSA load is 132 PF.  Until I drop below 115 PF I don't see much difference.  But going the other direction, get above 140 PF and I notice quite a difference.  Hottest I've shot is around 155 PF and not something I would want to compete with.

FYI, I'm shooting 16" barrels with short lead chambers and mostly 147 gr RN plated bullets. 

42 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I'm experimenting with long range (100 yard) 9mm loads.  My typical USPSA load is 132 PF.  Until I drop below 115 PF I don't see much difference.  But going the other direction, get above 140 PF and I notice quite a difference.  Hottest I've shot is around 155 PF and not something I would want to compete with.

FYI, I'm shooting 16" barrels with short lead chambers and mostly 147 gr RN plated bullets. 

How does this relate to the Taccom ULW barrel?

Sorry, should have mentioned, I have one. For all the reasons I said. How is it misleading? If your ammo is a given velocity in a pistol, it should be very similar in this barrel since it's going through 5.5" of rifling. So you can use the same production division ammo in your pistol & PCC. 

I perceive the dot bounces a little, but settles quickly. Time wise, similar to a 16" gun. But target transitions are fast, & it doesn't want to overswing. 

Try the barrel. If you don't like it, it will sell quickly on the classified. 

Edited by OPENB
14 minutes ago, L9X25 said:

If you reload 9mm for your pistol, the same reloads should make a similar power factor in your carbine making is possible to shoot the same ammo without adjusting the charge.

I assume this is with the 5.5 in. carbine barrel.

In my 14.5 in. carbine barrel I gain about 160fps overall with my old production pistol loads.

Question?.......Are most PCC shooters coming from production or open?

In my case its open.......have not shot production for years.

7 minutes ago, BlackBuzzard said:

I don't think you can make a simple generalization on this...

I think lots of PCC shooters are 3-Gunners who often competed in Limited in USPSA to be able to run their 3Gun pistols/mags.

But, I think PCC is getting interest from shooters from all divisions except maybe Revo...and maybe even 1-2 of those too.

Edited by wgj3
5 minutes ago, BlackBuzzard said:

In my case its open.......have not shot production for years.

The small group of PCC shooters I compete with all came from Limited or Open.    I can see the benefit of one ammo for pistol and PCC if you are shooting 3GN.  Fewer rounds and magazines to lug around.

8 hours ago, OPENB said:

Sorry, should have mentioned, I have one. For all the reasons I said. How is it misleading? If your ammo is a given velocity in a pistol, it should be very similar in this barrel since it's going through 5.5" of rifling. So you can use the same production division ammo in your pistol & PCC. 

I perceive the dot bounces a little, but settles quickly. Time wise, similar to a 16" gun. But target transitions are fast, & it doesn't want to overswing. 

Try the barrel. If you don't like it, it will sell quickly on the classified. 

Actually, I'm looking forward to trying it.

It was the dot bounce, as you say, that had me concerned. I was referring to it as recoil.

The more one thinks about it the more sense it makes. The stages we shoot are designed as handgun stages so why not shoot a rifle that has some of the same characteristics as a handgun. Thanks for the insight.

The misleading part is in regard to the recoil. To accomplish all that was said I'd have to think some fairly sophisticated testing would have to have been done. 

None-the-less, if it doesn't work out for me I can, as you say, sell it. 

Edited by MikieM

I am new to pcc but have had a 9mm carbine for a while now.   I had a 16" Faxon barrel with taccom carbon hand guard with no comp.    A couple of weeks ago I put the Taccom barrel on and shot my first PCC match.   The Taccom barrel is 8 ounces lighter in the hand guard and barrel.      The recoil to me seems pretty quick but it comes right back on target.      

I shot my friend's new ULW upper today, and it definitely moves faster in transition on Steel Challenge stages. He also has the Taccom bolt and buffer in it and it runs well. The buffer/load needs to be tuned to smooth the bit of dot bounce, but overall I liked it a lot. Ordering one next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Timido said:

I am new to pcc but have had a 9mm carbine for a while now.   I had a 16" Faxon barrel with taccom carbon hand guard with no comp.    A couple of weeks ago I put the Taccom barrel on and shot my first PCC match.   The Taccom barrel is 8 ounces lighter in the hand guard and barrel.      The recoil to me seems pretty quick but it comes right back on target.      

Describe what you mean by, "Pretty quick."

How does dot bounce compare to your 16" Faxon.

Since I've never shot a PCC before, then I probably haven't got a thing to worry about.

First time get on the range with the new gun and  I'll figure this is the way it's supposed to be and off I go, knocking down steel like a crazy person.

Looking forward to it. :D

I have one that I bought from a fellow enos member. I'm still working tirelessly to find the best combination of buffer and ammo. However, I will say without question that I like it head and shoulders over my first pcc that had a full 16"barrel and a comp and a 15" hand guard. Here's why..

the heavy barrel gun had less dot bounce and my double taps at about 35' were within about 2" of each other.

the ULW has a bit more bounce, but with a firm grip and a stout shoulder weld the dot is back on target almost as quickly as I can pull the trigger. Double taps at about 35' are about 3". So, slightly less accurate on follow up shots, but well within Azone parameters. 

The reason it wins out is simply the weight. It is noticeably easier to run with, transition, and one-handing the rifle. 

Also, in my last match I had some target about 50' out and I had no problems scoring all A's on them. Sure a true rifle might be better for 75'+ targets, but how often do those pop up in a uspsa match?

I love my ULW upper. 

Due to the lightness, it does have a bit of a snap, but settles super fast. 

Transitions lightning quick, without over swing. 

I dont reload, so using the same factory ammo I run in my Shadow 2 and getting similar velocity also played to my decision. 

A friend was shooting one at the match today and I got the chance to handle it.  It feels like a toy, really fast and makes the rifle balance within your hands.  In addition to some of the features listed in this thread, it also resolves any problems with the timer picking up shots ... it is about as loud as a production pistol and it easily picked up by the timer. As you make the overall carbine lighter, you increase the felt recoil some, but the carbine returns to the point of aim so fast that it is waiting for you on fast doubles.  

16 hours ago, MikieM said:

Describe what you mean by, "Pretty quick."

How does dot bounce compare to your 16" Faxon.

My 16" Faxon barrel with 10 ounce buffer and .380 actually shot pretty soft.  I didn't really notice a lot of dot bounce. The Taccom barrel is a little jumpy because it's so light.  If I hold on it does its thing and gives me 2 a zone hits. 

I have been running mine for about 2-months now, about 2K rounds. With several different loads & buffer combo's. With 3.1grs TG, 147gr SNS bullets it is a little snappy even with the Taccom Adj. buffer. This is our standard pistol load we run in a G34 & STI 3-gun. Learning keep my hand on the guard as close to the end has helped. Dot returns & stays on target for follow up shots with no problem.

Furthest I have shot besides some testing @ 100 yards is 6" round targets @ 80 yards in a match. Hit them with no problem so accuracy is good.

We shoot some falling steel matches with no PF. My favorite load is 3.1TG/100 or 98gr bullet or 2.9gr/115gr bullet. Super soft and accurate.

gerritm