Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MKA-1919 XN barrel shortening and mods

Zebraman

Hi,

I'm looking for a gunsmith who can shorten my XN MKA's barrel to remove the Winchoke portion of the barrel, then externally thread the barrel to accept the Saiga/ VEPR externally threaded chokes.  I've already contacted T&N, but he won't externally thread the barrel.  The barrels are within 0.002 in. of each other so that shouldn't pose a problem.  Any suggestions?

For those who will ask why?  It is because I want to be able to use the muzzle devices that are available for the Russian guns.  

Thank you,

Z

I don't have an answer to your question, however I did just get a Witt machine clamp on brake for my mka.  Fits good though I need to open it up so I can remove the choke with it installed, something like .040-.050".  I installed it in the meantime and I'm going to see how it works in reducing recoil and be sure it stays on before i put more work into it.  I also need to check to be sure the clamping of the brake around the barrel will not hinder the removal of the choke.

Even with all that, I'm sure I could live with just a mod choke if it the brake works well enough.

Just a FYI, my MKA barrel is 19.1 inches long.  To cut it behind the internal threads of the choke will put the barrel in NFA territory.  Whatever the gunsmith adds to the barrel to get it back to legal length will need to be permanently attached.

Another option is the Winchoke to Saiga choke adapter from Cadiz Gun Works.  It would make your life a bit simplier.

https://cadizgunworks.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=66

Thanks for the responses!  The goal of my inquiry was to use the new Dissident Arms muzzle brake.  I have used the GK-01 brake on my gun using the Cadiz Gunworks adapter, but was limited by the cylinder bore, and the adapter unscrewing itself in the middle of a stage unless I used red locktite on it. Then I have to heat it each time I want to take it off, and clean the locktite off the threads and reinstall it, too much of a pain.  But the brake worked great!  I have a Witt Machine brake.  I was underwhelmed at the Witt brake its performance.  It clamps onto the barrel and actually stays there, which is good.  I asked if it could be opened up so I could change the chokes like the Dissident Arms brakes, I was told no.  The last option I have is to have a custom choke made with the constriction I want which is probably light modified, because that's what I'm using now.  Thank you everyone.  

Edited by Zebraman
errors in text

The dimensional change to open it up enough to get the choke out is really small.  I couldn't see an issue and if the brake is decent enough I will probably open it up myself or have someone I know open it up.  Of course laziness may rear its head and I just leave the mod choke in place as it is.

given the low carbon steel (from a weldability standpoint) construction you could probably merge the saiga style brake section to the Witt clamping section.  I've also seen the grizzly gunworks shotgun clamp-on brakes online and they have some versions that appear more in line with the Russian style brakes, but they were far more expensive.