Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mr. BulletFeeder auxiliary spring modification

RickT

My Mr BF is flawless with everything except 115gr Bayou which I would like to use for some guns:  the stack "sticks" on occasion as a function of the bullet length, angle and stiction at some point in the assembly.  I've seen pictures of an add-on kludge with a soft spring design to add just a bit of tension to the stack,  but can't locate the thread that contains the illustration.  Can anyone lend  a hand?

FYI - when I started with a mini-MrBF Rick Koskela even took a stab at modding the unit to work with those bullets without success.  Again, every other bullet weight/profile I've tried has worked flawlessly; probably the best bullet feed money can buy.

1 hour ago, TennJeep1618 said:

I may be misunderstanding your question.  Is this what you're talking about?

https://immortobot.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=159

mbfsprtop.jpg

Or are you looking for something to actually push the bullets down through the tube/die?

That's what I'm looking for, but since they don't ship that item (walk-in only) I'll have to DIY.

2 minutes ago, RickT said:

That's what I'm looking for, but since they don't ship that item (walk-in only) I'll have to DIY.

Read the description.  It ships for free, but you have to choose "local pickup" at the checkout screen.  I bought the same kit a few weeks ago.

Edited by TennJeep1618

There's another solution that works real well, too.  I don't have any pictures so I'll try to describe.  In the above picture see where the bullet drop tube comes through the tool head?  See how there's a lip on the OD of the tube at the bottom?  Measure the main diameter of the body.  Now you can go to a hardware store (I went to Lowe's or HD, can't remember which) and in the hardware section you'll find compression springs.  Get the pack with a spring ID close to the tube OD.  Measure the length exposed below the tool head, cut the spring so it is just slightly compressed when in the free state, and install it.  You're good to go.  It won't bind when the dropper is adjusted right, and it's completely out of the way.  Works great.  I put one on 9mm, 38SC, and 223 heads.

3 minutes ago, Todd7446 said:

There's another solution that works real well, too.  I don't have any pictures so I'll try to describe.  In the above picture see where the bullet drop tube comes through the tool head?  See how there's a lip on the OD of the tube at the bottom?  Measure the main diameter of the body.  Now you can go to a hardware store (I went to Lowe's or HD, can't remember which) and in the hardware section you'll find compression springs.  Get the pack with a spring ID close to the tube OD.  Measure the length exposed below the tool head, cut the spring so it is just slightly compressed when in the free state, and install it.  You're good to go.  It won't bind when the dropper is adjusted right, and it's completely out of the way.  Works great.  I put one on 9mm, 38SC, and 223 heads.

So basically it pulls that sleeve down (engaging the detents) when it's not actively dropping a bullet?

3 minutes ago, TennJeep1618 said:

So basically it pulls that sleeve down (engaging the detents) when it's not actively dropping a bullet?

Pushes, not pulls, but yes.  Same idea.  Plus it doesn't pull it to one side like the tension spring pictured up above can.  

3 minutes ago, Todd7446 said:

Pushes, not pulls, but yes.  Same idea.  Plus it doesn't pull it to one side like the tension spring pictured up above can.  

You're right.  That's was I was thinking, I just didn't say it correctly.  Have you had any problems with the compressed spring preventing the sleeve from moving up far enough to drop a bullet?

Edited by TennJeep1618

9 minutes ago, TennJeep1618 said:

You're right, that's was I was thinking, I just didn't say it correctly.  Have you had any problems with the compressed spring preventing the sleeve from moving up far enough to drop a bullet?

Nope.  Trim it so there's just a little compression on it when the dropper is "at rest" (1050 toolhead raised).  It works fine with 115 gr/124 gr JHP's and 55gr FMJBT's.  If the spring goes solid, you cut it WAAAY too long and have WAAAY too much preload on it.

I started off with a tension spring like is pictured.  I must have used one that was too strong or had too much preload.  It pulled to one side so much that when the dropper would lift, the spring was pinning the dropper tube against the die body and it wouldn't come back to its resting position (gave me the rain of bullets).  That's when I went to the compression spring.  For me, it works much better, and it's out of the way underneath.

Edited by Todd7446

Great information.  I'll be in reload heaven if I can load the 115gr Bayous for different guns.  I don't care for the new 122gr profile as I have to load it very, very short in my HK P2000.  You wouldn't think that to be the case with a light/short bullet, but there is a good length of full diameter base before the ogive that runs into the lands.

On 9/22/2017 at 8:21 AM, Todd7446 said:

Great idea, I am going to pick up some springs next time I'm at the Hardware Store.