Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Align Reaming Comp, and Trubor TC2

RippinSVT

Hey guys, I'm building a switch-barrel 2011 Open gun currently, one barrel is an old threaded Kart/Baer 38 Super tube I had laying around, which I added a Millenium Customs comp to.  The second barrel is a Trubor (that I'll chamber in 9mm) machined with the Brazos Thundercomp 2 ports.  Do I need to align ream the Trubor?  Brazos says you do on their website, but I wasn't sure if the description said that by default in the comp section.  Under the STI-cut Trubor barrels section they don't say anything about align reaming.  Also, do comps ALWAYS need align reamed, or do you sometimes get lucky? And where should I buy one of these reamers?  I have a lathe at home if it matters.

I have found that alignment reamers don't always get the job done. There has to be a certain amount of play between the rifling and the pilot, plus some flex in the reamer.

The best option is to use a boring bar. Hold the barrel in the 4 jaw chuck, dial it in, or use a 3 jaw if you have one that runs true. Then you will know that the comp. is actually concentric to the bore.

17 hours ago, RippinSVT said:

Hey guys, I'm building a switch-barrel 2011 Open gun currently, one barrel is an old threaded Kart/Baer 38 Super tube I had laying around, which I added a Millenium Customs comp to.  The second barrel is a Trubor (that I'll chamber in 9mm) machined with the Brazos Thundercomp 2 ports.  Do I need to align ream the Trubor?  Brazos says you do on their website, but I wasn't sure if the description said that by default in the comp section.  Under the STI-cut Trubor barrels section they don't say anything about align reaming.  Also, do comps ALWAYS need align reamed, or do you sometimes get lucky? And where should I buy one of these reamers?  I have a lathe at home if it matters.

A Trubor should not need to be align reamed, the barrel and comp sections are bored and rifled together. Align reaming is to correct mis-alignment of screwing two parts together. If you are milling a  comp into a Trubor blank, then you might need to use a de burrer to remove swarf from the comp holes, but one shot will take care of that anyway. I have a align reamer I bought from EGW when I was using a screw on comp, it worked well (for $80, it should have), but I've since changed to Trubor and haven't used it since the change.

6 minutes ago, Bkreutz said:

A Trubor should not need to be align reamed, the barrel and comp sections are bored and rifled together. Align reaming is to correct mis-alignment of screwing two parts together. If you are milling a  comp into a Trubor blank, then you might need to use a de burrer to remove swarf from the comp holes, but one shot will take care of that anyway. I have a align reamer I bought from EGW when I was using a screw on comp, it worked well (for $80, it should have), but I've since changed to Trubor and haven't used it since the change.

Thanks, much appreciated!

2 hours ago, Brazos Custom said:

The Trubor blanks are rifled (bore diameter) through the entire comp section so they definitely need to be align reamed at some point. We do it after machining and before they leave the shop but it never hurts to check it just in case.

Okay so if I bought it from you I can be reasonably certain its been align reamed?  If not I can take care of it.  I'll probably just shoot them both and see what happens and go from there. :)