Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2018 Rockcastle Run N Gun 5&10k, March 17-18

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/23/2017 at 8:58 PM, Matt in TN said:

I haven't announced it yet, but what the hell:  December 17th at 10:00am.  :-)

I'll post links well before then.

Oops.  Should have said Saturday December 16th at 10am central time.  I forgot about having two match days - sorry! 

Running as a group is fine as long as you realize you'll end up waiting for your partners while your run clock is ticking away, which will add time to all of your run scores.  For most people who do this it's about the experience and the comradery and they don't care about the score much at all.  This is great and exactly what I hoped would happen, but I just don't want there to be any surprises when the scores come in.

When you guys random draw your start time the morning of the match just stick together and draw one time for all of you.  Be sure you tell the nice ladies at registration what you are doing as things get prety hectic and confusing on match day!

Edited by Matt in TN

Stage 6 (10k), which also happens to be Stage 4 (5k):  Sierra Bullets' The Rifleman
Powerline Cut

On the buzzer, make two rifle hits from standing on 10” 120 yd targets, two rifle hits from sitting or kneeling on 10” 200 yd targets, and two rifle hits from prone on 10” 300 yd targets.  Targets will have a high contrast backer to be more easily visible this year, and if nothing goes wrong we'll have two targets at each position so the ROs won't have to try to call hits on an already swinging target.

This is essentially identical to last year's stage at this location.  This is such a great test of the fundamentals of positional rifle shooting I plan to have it as a "standard" stage until everyone is complaining that it's just too easy.  :-)

And please take a moment to thank Sierra Bullets (https://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm) for sponsoring this stage and providing $1,150 in bullet certificates for the prize table!

Screen-Shot-2015-11-06-at-9.32.42-AM-e14

Two week warning: Registration will open at 10:00am Central Time on Saturday, December 16, 2017.

Below are the links to the TWO match registrations. Note that this will be run as TWO SEPARATE MATCHES on consecutive days. Be sure you register for the right match - or register for both if you want to do the unofficial "15k Challenge"!

https://practiscore.com/5k-rockcastle-run-n-gun-2018/register

https://practiscore.com/10k-rockcastle-run-n-gun-2018/register

We've had some issues with people who register and don't show up at past matches, which really sucks for everyone on the waitlist who can't get in. So I'm requiring full payment at the time of registration now. Be prepared to pay your match fee online when you register.

The cancellation policy is firm and no exceptions will be made. It will also likely take several days and multiple communications to get a refund issued, so please be patient if you end up having to go this route.

Full refunds will be given if you withdraw more than 30 days before the match. Half your fee will be refunded if you withdraw between 14-29 days before the match. NO REFUND will be given if you withdraw less than 14 days before the match.

Lastly - I'm trying to simplify match day a little, so I'm collecting all the data I can during registration instead of on match day on your scorecard. This is purely voluntary - but I'd appreciate very much if everyone filled out the registration form completely.

8 hours ago, Yankee Dog said:

Ummm. Practiscore say registration starts on the 17th.

Sorry - I'll fix that today.  The 17th is technically 90 days before the match (my goal), but I think more people will be available Saturday morning.  So I'll break my own rule and let people register 91 days prior this time.  

Glad you guys are clicking the links!

16 hours ago, Yankee Dog said:

Ummm. Practiscore say registration starts on the 17th.

Got it fixed.  It will open at 10am central on Saturday December 16th.  Let me know if you guys see anything else that doesn't look right.  I am only human, afterall!

Stage 7 (10k), which also happens to be Stage 5 (5k): Magpul’s Fight To Your Rifle
Pistol Bays

Begin sitting in a chair with your pistol holstered and your rifle unloaded on a table. On the buzzer, hit 5 steel pistol targets while seated. The 5th target will activate a moving paper target, which takes 3 hits to neutralize. Move to next shooting position and hit 5 more steel pistol targets, and once again the 5th target activates a moving paper target which takes 3 hits to neutralize. Reholster hot pistol safely. Retrieve your rifle from the table, load, and hit all six plates on the 50yd rifle plate rack to finish. 10 second FTN penalty for any steel not knocked down or paper with less than 3 hits.

2319.jpg

Edited by Matt in TN

Total required hit count:
68 rifle and 45 pistol (10k)
51 rifle and 31 pistol (5k)

Now you know everything you need to know to decide whether you're going to register December 16th at 10:00am. I'll also post the obstacle details as we get closer, but there will be one obstacle for every shooting stage.

Who is ready???

I wasn't going to share this until later, but with all the discussion it's had on Facebook I figure I need to repost it everywhere so it's fair for those anti-FBers.  You might want to practice this before March if you're going to do the 10k:

JyNKupf.jpg

52 minutes ago, Dan Sierpina said:

But, you are a sick puppy! :lol:

At this point, I don't think it even matters how Bryan feels about it anymore.  I don't think his son would let him skip this match even if he wanted to!  :-)

Just a reminder - registration opens tomorrow morning at 10:00am central time. This match sold out in 20 minutes last year, so make plans to be there if you want to get in!

Also - please note this is being run as TWO SEPARATE MATCHES: the 5k on Saturday and the 10k on Sunday. You can sign up to run in either, or both. But be sure you sign up for the correct match! 

Here is the link for the 5k registration:  https://practiscore.com/5k-rockcastle-run-n-gun-2018/register

Here is the link for the 10k registration:  https://practiscore.com/10k-rockcastle-run-n-gun-2018/register

Edited by Matt in TN

Wow - the 5k sold out in 11 minutes.  I am humbled, and excited, and will do my best to meet and exceed your expectations!

Be sure to get on the waitlist if you didn't get in.  We normally have several cancellations as we get closer to match day for various reasons.

We still have 39 10k slots left.  Who's up for a bigger challenge?!?!

https://practiscore.com/10k-rockcastle-run-n-gun-2018/register

2 minutes ago, mattmann said:

So glad I set a reminder. Me and my squad got in. Remind me Matt one more time, I’m coming with two other guys and we would love to be able to run together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure - just stick together during registration on the morning of the match and let the lovely ladies know you are running together when you randomly draw your start time.

3 hours ago, flyfred10 said:

Matt any thoughts on the best setup to be light and also hit the longer stuff.  I was planning on a short barrel w a 3x mag.  

This is the million dollar question:  finding the balance between lightweight, easy to make hits, and RELIABLE.  It depends a whole lot on weather, but this kind of match can be a SUPER tough test of equipment.  I've never seen so many Glocks go down as I did last March - all from the mud.  Scope caps were worth $1 million dollars to those who had them (and probably more to those who didn't!) last year too.

I use an 18" AR10 with a 1-6 scope because I'm a die-hard .308 guy.  I've seen people do it with everything from a suppressed SBR to a bolt action iron sighted WWII rifle.  

The most difficult rifle target is a 10" round plate at 300yds, but there are also several close and moving targets.  Find a balance, make your best guess at gear, and come on out and try it.  Then (if you're like everyone esle!) make some changes based on what you learned and try it again next time.

And again.  And again...  ;-)