Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfo Domina

scottrallye

Anyone know anything about the new Tanfoglio Domina open gun? I'm kind of interested, although it looks more or less exactly like the Czechmate I'm currently shooting, albeit shorter and available in .38 super. Oh, and that boner-riffic slide racker. Searching for "Domina" on Google is not providing the results I'm looking for (although it's endlessly entertaining).

EAA has proved totally unable to answer emails, as I've sent a couple of them asking for any info about whether or not this gun will become available stateside. No reply yet. Based on their advertising, I assume they are too busy supervising the 8 year old they have photoshopping their HORRIBLE ads.

Anyways, if anyone has any info on this gun I'd love to hear it.

123216498-origpic-554a33small.jpg

123216420-origpic-8064c1small.jpg

What's with the 1/4"-too-long dust cover?!?  "We've got this Limited frame already, so we might as well use it"

Limited guns use frame weight to reduce muzzle flip, Open guns use comps, but by the looks of that comp without any holes, I imagine it's going to be disappointing on that front.

20 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

What's with the 1/4"-too-long dust cover?!?  "We've got this Limited frame already, so we might as well use it"

Limited guns use frame weight to reduce muzzle flip, Open guns use comps, but by the looks of that comp without any holes, I imagine it's going to be disappointing on that front.

I noticed that, and my first thought was to cut the dust cover about 2". I'd love to do it to my Czechmate, but those dumbasses put the serial number at the furthest end of the dust cover so I can't do much. (And I'm not about to deal with the ATF to have it moved)

PS: Those pics of your Tanfo open gun are probably the #1 photo I see on this site, bar none. Seems like every thread I open they pop up! Good looking gun though, I'd show it off too :P 

Thinking about a Gold Custom in .38 super now that MBX is making mags for them. Kneeling Atlas, you have any input on a Gold Custom in 38?

Because they needed a platform that would run 9 major without the v12 craziness. Also, it looks better using the limited frame instead of the s2 frame. If you're a little boy, then stick to the GT...

The v12 in 38 super is a great platform. The MBX mags are hit or miss, as they'll likely need to be tuned to your gun. I beta tested them with Adrian, so I've been around the block with those in 140 and 170. 

That being said, you'd be better off buying 38 super mags and welding 2 together... 

1 hour ago, kneelingatlas said:

While I don't share Tony's enthusiasm for the Gold Team in 38 super, it's better than the same in 9mm.  In my opinion the Czechmate is a better gun than either one.

Yeah, I love my Czechmate and have had a lot of success with it, but even though it says they are available in .38 super I have yet to see one anywhere. I feel like at some point I'm limiting the guns performance somewhat shooting 9 major... but that just might be all the .38 super guys wanting to feel better about all the money they spend on brass so they tell everyone it's wayyyy better. I had a really good talk with JJ in his shop about his Tanfo and comparing and contrasting calibers, guns, etc. He's a big believer that the .38 is the way to go, and I AM inclined to believe him :P

1 hour ago, scottrallye said:

Yeah, I love my Czechmate and have had a lot of success with it, but even though it says they are available in .38 super I have yet to see one anywhere.

Czechmate in .38 super?  Not possible, the Czechmate is a small frame pistol (albeit a wide-bodied small frame), so it can't accept large frame calibers (.38 super, 10mm, .45).  The 97B is an example of a large frame CZ.

1 hour ago, scottrallye said:

I feel like at some point I'm limiting the guns performance somewhat shooting 9 major...

What's your load?  I have owned both .38 super and 9mm Open guns and unless you're shooting 11gr of N105 under a 115 out of a 38 super I don't think you're giving up anything.  Whenever I hear a .38 super guy talk about how much better it is that 9 major, I ask: "what's your load?"  If it's 7.4gr of Autocomp under a 124gr bullet, I ask how that could shoot flatter than the same charge under a 115?  I shoot 9.4gr of SP2 under a 115 in 9 major and I'll put that to the Pepsi challenge with any .38 super :sight:

If you don't believe 115s shoot flatter than 124s, try some hot 95gr loads in your Open gun :goof:

2 hours ago, aandabooks said:

Since this seems to be turning into a caliber thread, I'll add this.  It seems that the 9mm open guns don't sit in the classifieds too long while the .38 guns take a while longer to sell.  9mm seems to command a slightly higher price on resale.  

Kind of. It was really about the GT v12 discontinuation for the Domina... but, I understand what you're saying.

I think the reason other brand 9M guns go quick is because most people aren't even paying for 9 brass. So they figure they can take a little more of the intimate hit on the purchase, since they won't be spending any money on brass.  

Use factory mags. I have MBX mags and i refused to use them at the TN statr match. Could not rely on them. EAA makes a factory 171 and use henning base pads to make 140's. Cheaper and 100% reliable. Just put grams followers and springs and you're good to go. The MBX offers a 170 that holds 27 rounds and the EAA one will hold 26 if I put grams followers and springs in both. The spring and follower that comes with the MBX is mediocre. If you buy MBX, buy direct from MBX. I got mine through BSPS and i send videos of my probs with mags and he didnt get the hint that I would like them warrantied. The attitude was like "oh well, since you didnt buy direct, i can't help you". Buy factory. That's what JJ runs.
I like my V12 GT and i'm with the guys when it comes to 38 supcercomp. But, this unica, without all the ports, looks like it would probably be a good 9mm major set up.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, darthdively said:

Use factory mags. I have MBX mags and i refused to use them at the TN statr match. Could not rely on them. EAA makes a factory 171 and use henning base pads to make 140's. Cheaper and 100% reliable. Just put grams followers and springs and you're good to go. The MBX offers a 170 that holds 27 rounds and the EAA one will hold 26 if I put grams followers and springs in both. The spring and follower that comes with the MBX is mediocre. If you buy MBX, buy direct from MBX. I got mine through BSPS and i send videos of my probs with mags and he didnt get the hint that I would like them warrantied. The attitude was like "oh well, since you didnt buy direct, i can't help you". Buy factory. That's what JJ runs.
I like my V12 GT and i'm with the guys when it comes to 38 supcercomp. But, this unica, without all the ports, looks like it would probably be a good 9mm major set up.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

It wasn't until recently folks were actually able to source 38 super, large frame big sticks. Either from EAA or across the pond. EAA is now stocking them.

There is a reason the EAA or welded tubes work better than MBX - there are no guide indentations on the MBX. The amount you have to play around with the different OAL before you get your gun to actually feed right or stop nose dives will drive you crazy.  Also, you'd better be using RN if you have the slightest hope of having confidence in an MBX. 

The factory mags, whether you buy the big stick now, or weld two tubes together, they have the indentations that make reliability excellent. 

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:24 PM, kneelingatlas said:

Czechmate in .38 super?  Not possible, the Czechmate is a small frame pistol (albeit a wide-bodied small frame), so it can't accept large frame calibers (.38 super, 10mm, .45).  The 97B is an example of a large frame CZ.

Possible or not, CZ listed the Czechmate as 9mm or .38 in their catalog up until this year.

• 1 month later...