Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

95 PF 38 Special

jeffm_norcal

Any specific bullet and/or powder?

The large case volume for a 38 Special, combined with it's low pressure gives the possibility of BIB's (bullet in bore) if going low with the loads.

You may want to look at a 380 Auto instead.  Or some of the shorter cases such as the Long Colt or such instead of using the 38 Special cases.

Guy

I used to load a cowboy/plinking round for my S&W Model 10 that gets in that range.

The bullet was a 105gr FP bullet ...

example here - https://www.badmanbullets.com/OnlineStore/products.php?cat=38+105+Grain+TFP+Badman+105

Lots of places now sell them coated as well.

Using 38 special cases and loaded to 1.440 oal - 2.8gr of Bullseye averaged 740fps - 78pf

- 2.7gr of ClayDot averaged 780fps - 82pf ...

... and ...

- 2.9gr of ClayDot averaged 858fps - 90pf ...

Fun to shoot ... clean ... 

I was using ClayDot because that was "one" of the powders I managed to snag at the time (remember when!!). 

To get down to 95 PF, you probably will need to use a pretty fast powder (like TG), and a lightweight bullet.  That 10" barrel would INCREASE velocity with slow powders!  It may still be pretty fast, even with fast powders...  

Not that it helps you much, but I have loaded 9mm down to 106 PF, and they work pretty well.  124 grain plated, with 3.14 gr of Titegroup, seated to 1.146".  Makes 857 fps in my Shadow.  

See if you can find any 100 gr (or lighter) .358" lead bullets.  

I remember seeing a video where a guy was experimenting to see if just a primer or 0.5 gr of TG would stick bullets in the bore by downloading.  Seems it was rather tough to do, with ANY amount of powder in the case...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClS5tqX7wC8  

So, light loads of fast powder aren't likely to cause any safety issues.  Just be sure to check your bore between shots!  Should be easy enough to do, in that T/C action!  

4 hours ago, Ken6PPC said:

Not that it helps you much, but I have loaded 9mm down to 106 PF, and they work pretty well.  124 grain plated, with 3.14 gr of Titegroup, seated to 1.146".  Makes 857 fps in my Shadow. 

With my 16" bbl PC I get ~155 PF with factory 115 rnfmj.

Edited by wrench459