Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What am I seeing in my barrel?

IGOTGLOCKED

12 minutes ago, Ken6PPC said:

Even if you have a perfectly clean barrel, JB will turn a little dark as the mild abrasive breaks down.  (Some will say that is barrel metal turning it dark, but JB is way too soft to strip away barrel metal.)  

Black patches do indicate fouling, but even if you clean until your arm wears out, you won't get JB to come out the same color as it was when it went into the bore...  

A little cleaning with JB is good, but don't overdo it!  

How does one know how much is enough and when we enter into "too much" territory?

Other than some experience with JB, it is difficult to know. 

I recommend using JB only when you have a problem removing "normal" deposits, unless you are shooting high precision match rifle barrels.  

For pistol barrels, it is rarely necessary to use JB.  They just don't normally foul enough, nor gain enough from cleaning out that last "nth" degree of fouling.  

Still, it is good to have JB as the "big gun" if you need it...!  

5 minutes ago, Ken6PPC said:

Other than some experience with JB, it is difficult to know. 

I recommend using JB only when you have a problem removing "normal" deposits, unless you are shooting high precision match rifle barrels.  

For pistol barrels, it is rarely necessary to use JB.  They just don't normally foul enough, nor gain enough from cleaning out that last "nth" degree of fouling.  

Still, it is good to have JB as the "big gun" if you need it...!  

Indeed! My '06 barrel looks amazing - can't wait to shoot it!

Thanks again!