Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What am I seeing in my barrel?

IGOTGLOCKED

At IDPA we got into a discussion of lead in barrels and how to remove. Consequently I go home remove my G19 Gen 4 barrel clean it as normal and do the best I can to shine a light in it, not blind myself and see the lands appear to be all smooth & shiny, the grooves look different and I'm not sure how to determine what I am looking at? It seems they look "grainy"/not milled as smooth? I tried to photograph them to no avail... Is this what G19/gen 4 barrel is suppose to look like?

I probably have 15000 or more rounds through it. Began shooting plated, recently coated if this makes any difference... 
All experienced input would be greatly appreciated!
Thx from IGG!

On 9/19/2017 at 11:19 AM, Edge40 said:

Kind of sounds like pitting to me.  I have shot every kind of ammo there is out of my glocks with even higher round counts and never noticed a grainy look.

That is what freaked me out, however it wasn't. Whatever it was all came out with Break Free and a brass brush...

Thx!

On 9/19/2017 at 12:34 PM, Ken6PPC said:

Clean with JB Bore Paste before you decide your barrel is pitted or otherwise damaged...

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/solvents-degreasers/bore-cleaning-paste/j-b-non-embedding-bore-cleaning-compound-prod1160.aspx 

Took the gun to two ranges and showed the GS the barrel. One said don't worry about it the other said to clean it with good solvent and a brass brush. I did it worked, I'm thrilled! I'd still like to know what is was though as I have always tried to keep my guns clean???

Oh thank for the referral to JB Bore Paste, am going to order and try it any way.

Cheers!

29 minutes ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Took the gun to two ranges and showed the GS the barrel. One said don't worry about it the other said to clean it with good solvent and a brass brush. I did it worked, I'm thrilled! I'd still like to know what is was though as I have always tried to keep my guns clean???

Oh thank for the referral to JB Bore Paste, am going to order and try it any way.

Cheers!

Happens with my stock 2. It's just stuff... It wasn't lead, either powder residue or some of the hi-tek coating? Nothing to worry about, at least not in my 10k rounds with it.

36 minutes ago, perttime said:

If you are trying cleaning methods, try this: http://www.gunslick.com/products/chemicals/cleaners_degreasers/foamingborecleaner.aspx

Spray the foam, let it sit while you clean other parts, push a couple of patches through. No fuss, no smell. Feels soapy on the fingers.

I will check it out - thx!

15 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

Happens with my stock 2. It's just stuff... It wasn't lead, either powder residue or some of the hi-tek coating? Nothing to worry about, at least not in my 10k rounds with it.

Thanks SC, I suspect it could have been affecting accuracy? 

9 minutes ago, perttime said:

Brass and copper are soft. They won't do much to steel. A steel cleaning rod banging on the muzzle end or dragging anywhere on the inside isn't good, though.

are there "scratch proof" cleaning rods now?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2017 at 11:34 AM, perttime said:

My current rod is plastic covered - but there you need to take care not to get any grit stuck on the plastic.

Tipton makes a carbon fiber cleaning rod.  Many different sizes and lengths.  Tough as steel.  I think one or two others make carbon rods as well.  I just don't recall who off hand.

Mike

On 10/3/2017 at 6:40 AM, molson said:

Tipton makes a carbon fiber cleaning rod.  Many different sizes and lengths.  Tough as steel.  I think one or two others make carbon rods as well.  I just don't recall who off hand.

Mike

Thanks!

On 10/2/2017 at 5:21 PM, Ldogg said:

How often to folks clean their barrels with bore cleaner ?

With poly rifling, haven't done it yet. Barrel is clean enough that a plastic bristle brush and a clean patch get everything out.

On 9/19/2017 at 12:34 PM, Ken6PPC said:

Clean with JB Bore Paste before you decide your barrel is pitted or otherwise damaged...

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/solvents-degreasers/bore-cleaning-paste/j-b-non-embedding-bore-cleaning-compound-prod1160.aspx 

My JB Bore Paste came this week. I thought my barrels were cleaned, used the bore paste and the patches came out black! Wow does this stuff clean - thanks for the advice. This stuff is awesome! 

Cheers!

7 hours ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

My JB Bore Paste came this week. I thought my barrels were cleaned, used the bore paste and the patches came out black! Wow does this stuff clean - thanks for the advice. This stuff is awesome! 

Cheers!

Even if you have a perfectly clean barrel, JB will turn a little dark as the mild abrasive breaks down.  (Some will say that is barrel metal turning it dark, but JB is way too soft to strip away barrel metal.)  

Black patches do indicate fouling, but even if you clean until your arm wears out, you won't get JB to come out the same color as it was when it went into the bore...  

A little cleaning with JB is good, but don't overdo it!