Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Simple Appreciation of Being

benos

Think of something that in some point in your life was new to you...

For me it was a new kitchen - with beautiful granite counter tops. We are in the kitchen a lot - eat most meals in house. And I'm always in appreciation mode when I'm in the beautiful / functional kitchen. 

Coming back to the granite counter tops. They are so beautiful. After they were first installed, at random times throughout the day and night, I'd just stand there admiring them in random areas. Anywhere I looked - I could see and hear an endless story. 

As time went by my daily appreciation for the kitchen overall has not diminished. But the random admiring of the counter tops has. Today I realized that is exactly how life tends to go. As time goes by we lose appreciation for the most subtle but beautiful of all qualities - the simple fact of being aware, right here, right now. Nothing else exists.

I read a good one from Robert Adams today...

Notice when I stop talking, how quiet it becomes, in your mind. This is the state I'm referring to, that state in between thoughts, where there is nothing going on, in that second, in that moment, when the mind is total quiet, the thoughts are not moving any longer. This is your true Self, in that moment in between thoughts. Stay in that moment. Learn to put yourself in that state, whether you are in the market place or you are in a temple, wherever you are, learn to be still. It makes no difference what is going on around you. It makes no difference what other people are doing. You be still. When you are still, then there's peace. When you are still, there's happiness. Can you ever imagine a person who is being happy all the time, for no reason whatsoever. Most of us have been taught that to be happy we have to receive something good. We have to have something nice happen to us to be happy, otherwise we are miserable. Yet the truth is, happiness is your very nature, unalloyed happiness, eternal happiness, forever happiness. 

~ Robert Adams

of being?

yesterday I got a maku mozo that seemed especially helpful.

And I rolled in here to say thank you.

Earlier today I was standing outside and let the beauty of the day fill my awareness,

it can be easy to let the quiet joy of your surrounding escape un-noticed.

miranda

I tend to think  I am ordinary.   I'd love to have a special extraordinary talent. I don't see it, if it exists. 

I have all the normal reactions to all the normal problems.

What the Dalai said to me was to make sure the difficulties I was ... erm, attending... were not self inflicted.  

Trying hard to change your perspective can give you a more definite path to a graceful resolution. 

I went outside into a day with a blue sky and meditated until I came back to appreciating just being.  

Reading your post at the start of this thread Reminded that it is easy to pass through days weeks and months

without enjoying what is in your world.

Being in a room you made is a good way to get there. 

I roam my life and some times wonder if I have done un-witting harm.

Mr. Enos, you shared one way you come to the Simple Appreciation of Being.

I feel I may have disrupted the contemplation.  

The place I created to Appreciate  Being ... was more of a joyluck accident.

I built a table to hold a loop of model railroad track and run a model I've built.

the whiring and clicking  sound/noise  that arises... 

the appreciation will hold me for a while,

and then I go on to what else in my world needs attention.

again, thank you.

miranda

Edited by Miranda

Not sure if this relates - :) - but this really hits home for me...

"No particular thought can be mind's natural state, only silence. Not the idea of silence, but silence itself. When the mind is in its natural state, it reverts to silence spontaneously after every experience or, rather, every experience happens against the background of silence."

Nisargadatta Maharaj 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...