Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Comp Red LocTite Keeps Coming Loose

jsoupene

I am looking for suggestions on what type of thread locker everyone is using on their open gun comps.  I am currently using the red LocTite and it works fine for competitions but  it breaks loose when I am practicing since I am firing a lot more rounds through it.  Thanks in advance for your time! Jason

11 minutes ago, jsoupene said:

I am looking for suggestions on what type of thread locker everyone is using on their open gun comps.  I am currently using the red LocTite and it works fine for competitions but  it breaks loose when I am practicing since I am firing a lot more rounds through it.  Thanks in advance for your time! Jason

Red Loctite breaks free at 500 degrees, when you practice, you shoot more rounds than a match and there is no cool down between sessions. In a match you shoot about 30 rounds every 45 minutes, even then you can get the barrel hot enough. It's even worse if you use an aluminum comp with a steel barrel. They expand at different rates so the different expansion rate coupled with the heat, makes the comp come loose even faster. I ended up drilling and tapping a setscrew into the comp to keep it from turning when it came loose. I wasn't real thrilled about doing that. I eventually went to an STI Trubor because the comp and the barrel are made from one piece of steel. If the comp comes loose on that, something horrible has happened.:wacko:

If your threads are tight, Red Loctite with primer should do the trick.  I thoroughly clean both threads, then clean again with alcohol.  I liberally coat both threads with primer and let it sit for a little bit.  While you are waiting, assemble the gun.  Coat both threads with Loctite and QUICKLY thread it onto the barrel and clock.  If you have done everything correctly, you'll only have 20-30 seconds to get the comp where you want it.  After that, you won't be able to turn it.

If your threads are looser, use a Loctite designed to fill voids.

Like B, above, I'm using Trubore blanks with custom comp cuts for my next two builds, for exactly the same reason.

I put blue on the comp to barrel threads and red on the set screws. 

Just shot the hoser match down where I live this weekend. 50rds per stage, 300rds in one day with no issues. 

Did a couple practice stages the night before. 100rds in about 2-3 mins shooting a stage, reloading, and shooting again. 

Comp is still tight

• 3 weeks later...

After seeing how Rock-Sett works on rifle brakes, I am tempted to try that, but it's not without its downside.....  It is a ceramic-based adhesive and is completely unaffected by heat.  To remove it, you're supposed to soak the part in warm water.

We had one that was so well glued that we started to believe that the factory had done a "pin-and-weld" job on it unnecessarily.  We had to send it back to the factory to get the brake removed.  That was after a 36 hour soak.