Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 for S&W Repair

NoSteel

Well, what started as a small defect has gotten worse over time, maybe 1k rounds down the pipe.  See pic.  S&W has requested I send back for inspection / repair..  Question is,. What is the chance it comes back with the hammer, trigger, cylinder, and sight work still in tact??  Should I live with the cosmetic of it as all else is fine, operation and accuracy not affected.  Not sure if this could berepaired without frame replacement...  Not really a Revo guy before this so not sure if this is normal in a competition gun??

image.jpeg

Edited by NoSteel

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My experience is that if you send it to them they will replace parts at their discretion. I guess I was lucky they sent my parts back so I could put them back in, but they butchered my cylinder stop (I sent it in for throwing by or "Skip Chambers") and fouled up the barrel gap/end shake so badly the gun wouldn't run.

Of course YMMV.

I've sent more than a few modified Smiths back for service and have never  had them change the action parts I've added or sights.  Write them a note saying this is your competition revolver and they will probably leave it alone.  Ruger on the other hand will replace all Non-Ruger parts.

7 hours ago, AzShooter said:

I've sent more than a few modified Smiths back for service and have never  had them change the action parts I've added or sights.  Write them a note saying this is your competition revolver and they will probably leave it alone.  Ruger on the other hand will replace all Non-Ruger parts.

+1. Last time they wanted to "replace with S&W parts". I asked how many of their pros are shooting stock parts? Well...... none. They finally sent it back (586 S&W with 7 shot cylinder, 6 lb trigger, etc) with repairs but everything else as I sent it in.

Send the note. It should be okay...

Under normal conditions it does not (just sitting open). In dry fire or a match where it if forced open with some speed or if I tend to do the wrong thing and flip the cylinder closed there is enough to deflection where it does and since the titanium is harder than the stainless this resulted.  The mark itself does not bother me as this is not to be a safe queen just want to make sure there are not going to be bore alignment issues down the road because of it happening.

1 hour ago, Toolguy said:

The cylinder should never touch the side of the frame. Get a cylinder alignment gage and make sure the crane isn't bent out of shape.

Tool guy,  thanks for your input!!  Wouldn't I see the coating or lead peeling if this were out of line??  Would lock up when closed be affected??  They both seem fine and no accuracy issues..  If I purchase a gauge and all looks good should I just plan to keep shooting it as is??  

Yes. If it's working OK and the gage shows proper alignment just keep shooting.It seems to me that something must be loosely fitted or out of alignment though. It's kind of hard to diagnose from this far away sometimes. Best not to flip the cylinder closed, by the way. That can bend the crane.

Edited by Toolguy

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:40 PM, NoSteel said:

Well, what started as a small defect has gotten worse over time, maybe 1k rounds down the pipe.  See pic.  S&W has requested I send back for inspection / repair..  Question is,. What is the chance it comes back with the hammer, trigger, cylinder, and sight work still in tact??  Should I live with the cosmetic of it as all else is fine, operation and accuracy not affected.  Not sure if this could berepaired without frame replacement...  Not really a Revo guy before this so not sure if this is normal in a competition gun??

image.jpeg

They may or may not fix this but beware if you have polished up the action they will send you a note stating that the gun is unsafe and they will not work on it unless they replace all the parts that you polished.  I asked them why it was unsafe and they told me that it did not meet their standards...

2 hours ago, Tonka said:

They may or may not fix this but beware if you have polished up the action they will send you a note stating that the gun is unsafe and they will not work on it unless they replace all the parts that you polished.  I asked them why it was unsafe and they told me that it did not meet their standards...

Not always true...

I sent back a 586 done into a Plus with a 7 shot cylinder and a 6 1/2 lb trigger, bobbed hammer, etc. They told me that it "might" be returned with stock parts. I asked if their pros are shooting stock guns? Reply: "Well, maybe we can leave it as is..."

Came back as I sent it, but with their repairs completed. (Mine got the cylinder gap repaired, the firing pin bushing replaced, and a couple other things, after something like 200,000 rounds.)

I have usually found S&W to be pretty helpful and easy to work with. With the exception of the Performance Center's sloppy work of course.

The cylinder rubbing on the frame when it is open suggests the yoke is either bent of the stop was improperly machined. It should be an easy repair, they should be able to refinish the surface. I have sent several back for repairs and would suggest installing the factory parts. If they do decided to replace the gun you may not get your parts back.

14 minutes ago, 357454 said:

The cylinder rubbing on the frame when it is open suggests the yoke is either bent of the stop was improperly machined. It should be an easy repair, they should be able to refinish the surface. I have sent several back for repairs and would suggest installing the factory parts. If they do decided to replace the gun you may not get your parts back.

I removed what I could.  Unfortunately the reworked trigger, hammer and cylinder were the stock ones so they had to go with.....

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  Still no word other than it was received.  Had hope to at least here if the repair would require $$ from my end and how long the repair would take.  With some of the nightmares I've read on poor 929 coming out of the performance center I'm hoping what was a good pistol doesn't come back junk.....

• 2 weeks later...

Well,. 1 month now and I requested an update.  They said their running 10-12 wks before a repair estimate gets mailed out, aargh ....  So still no idea on what the suggested repairs would be.  I had hoped to have back for our December match but looks like I'll be lucky to have by Spring.  Not real pleased with their service so far.  If I get an overpriced estimate with excuses why my worked trigger/hammer and cylinder can't come back to me I'll be unlikely to purchase another based on all the quality issues I've read about.

Edited by NoSteel

Sorry you’re having this experience. Sorry, not surprised. I think S&W makes an excellent gun “kit” that can be built into a good gun. Just accept that it's yours (when you eventually get it back) and only take it to good gunplumbers or work on it yourself. You wouldn’t take your Chevy Street rod to the dealership for service, so don’t expect S&W to have a clue regarding your hot rod revolver. ?

The 627 V Comp I'm practicing with is developing the same mark. Weak hand reloading. But with the cylinder out I can't push it sideways to impact the frame. Maybe I'm just being too rough with it, or maybe the mark was from something else.

One has to wonder why it takes 10 to 12 weeks to complete an estimate for repair; are there that many firearms being returned or do they have too few personnel in the warranty and repair department. I once read that if you notified them that your gun was being used for competition the repair time was reduced to days, not weeks. Also as noted by Toolguy flipping the cylinder open or closed is hard on the gun and will bend the crane.

6 hours ago, 357454 said:

One has to wonder why it takes 10 to 12 weeks to complete an estimate for repair; are there that many firearms being returned or do they have too few personnel in the warranty and repair department. I once read that if you notified them that your gun was being used for competition the repair time was reduced to days, not weeks. Also as noted by Toolguy flipping the cylinder open or closed is hard on the gun and will bend the crane.

In my case I really think most of the damage happened during dry fire as I have much more time in that than actually in competition.  I don't think that flipping was the issue here but I do believe they will find the cylinder to cylinder rod fit may be the issue and maybe the stop being cut to much as the cylinder was very close to the frame and the crank did not show signs of being tweaked.  During dry fire practice your opening the cylinder quickly/sharply with all of the rounds present (dummy loads),. I load weak hand.  As far as the turn around I thought the same about demand vs. employees.

We would probably be surprised out how high the number of repairs are in play at any one time for them as it has been stated before how poor the quality had gotten even on the Performance Center models like this. I have 6 M&P platforms (1 AR) that have had 0 issues but they are all early builds so maybe a more recent issue...

On 11/23/2017 at 1:48 AM, 357454 said:

It's Smith and Wesson. From the garbage they're pushing out of their factory and Pro Shop, they're probably inundated with returns and repairs for stuff that wasn't built properly the first time. Back when I was helping out at the local shop, we almost expected to have to make minor repairs and adjustments to new Smiths revolvers that came through the door. Mostly barrels that weren't torqued correctly and had the front sight sticking off to the side, but also some that had burrs on the hammers and you could just push them forward from the single action notch. Not to mention the millions of guns they made anyway, and now with Obama's new ITAR executive order that forced a lot of shops out of business because they couldn't pony up the $2250 tax for simply existing. When you're the only game in town, and your motto is "get as many guns out the door as possible and we'll just repair the ones that come back," I imagine they have a lot on their plate.

• 4 weeks later...

Well,. Still nothing but crickets chirping from S&W..  Still not sure what needs to be done, the cost and if anything is to be covered under warranty..  Figure if I start bugging them now they'll just charge me regardless...  I've seen better customer service from a cable company!!!

I would suggest giving S&Ws customer Service department a call, Two months for the repair and or replacement is unacceptable. If you can not get an answer, ask to speak to their supervisor. That should get the ball rolling and should not negatively effect the determination regarding warranty.