Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 major loads

jtrump

Oh Another thing I've been reading about which I don't think I am going to be fond of is spilling powder..

Is that why some use a 124 over a 115?   or would the powder be the determining factor.     I've never loaded anything but 231,titegroup,n320 and WSF.        If I throw 6.4g of titegroup into a 9mm case,  I'm really close to the top of the brass.  " I only do this after I change my powder charge adjustment to ensure I get the right amount of powder to put on the scale" 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, jtrump said:

Oh Another thing I've been reading about which I don't think I am going to be fond of is spilling powder..

Is that why some use a 124 over a 115?   or would the powder be the determining factor.     I've never loaded anything but 231,titegroup,n320 and WSF.        If I throw 6.4g of titegroup into a 9mm case,  I'm really close to the top of the brass.  " I only do this after I change my powder charge adjustment to ensure I get the right amount of powder to put on the scale" 

I'm on a LNL and I'm getting used to putting the bullet on while the case is rotating between stations.  If I let the case stop in the detent, I normally get a few flakes of powder that spill out.

30 minutes ago, jtrump said:

Are you putting 6.4 gr of Titegroup in a 9mm case?  Why on earth?  That's a very fast powder and not right for 9 major.  Hodgdon lists 4.4 gr as max for a 9mm 124 gr bullet at 1136 fps.  To get 1385 fps (171 pf) you'd have to use 5.7gr, and you're talking 6.4 gr.  I think you're looking at very high pressures and possibly pressure spikes.  Also, it has less volume than the slower powders and won't work the comp very well at all.  I'd vote "no way" and recommend working with WAC, HS-6, n350/3n37 and the like. 

Edited by teros135

45 minutes ago, jtrump said:

I've got to look into this "stepped brass"  not exactly sure the difference but I have ran across a few pieces of that ammoland brand you named.    Man, I just had a nightmare I was looking at head stamps for hours upon hours upon hours :(

It's pretty easy to check for stepped brass without reading every headstamp.  Take an MTM .45 Auto 100-round ammo box, dump a bunch of 9x19 cases in it, shake it around.  Most of the cases will fall into the holes with the case mouth up.  Take a small flashlight and scan it across the rows of cases, looking into each case, and you'll see the steps pretty easily.  Faster to do if they've been cleaned.  For the few cases that land with the headstamp up, just read the stamp. 

You can also check quickly for the .380s (too short) and .38 super/.40 s&w (too tall) by scanning across the rows of cases.  You can do 1000 in a few minutes. 

4 hours ago, teros135 said:

Are you putting 6.4 gr of Titegroup in a 9mm case?  Why on earth?  That's a very fast powder and not right for 9 major.  Hodgdon lists 4.4 gr as max for a 9mm 124 gr bullet at 1136 fps.  To get 1385 fps (171 pf) you'd have to use 5.7gr, and you're talking 6.4 gr.  I think you're looking at very high pressures and possibly pressure spikes.  Also, it has less volume than the slower powders and won't work the comp very well at all.  I'd vote "no way" and recommend working with WAC, HS-6, n350/3n37 and the like. 

No No, I just simply stated that when I make an adjustment to my powder throw, I will cycle 2 pulls at a time into the case a few times in a row and dump it so I know the next time I put the powder on the scale it will be exactly what I set it to.  What I was saying is when I did that, 6.4g of titegroup was near'ish the case mouth.   I would never make a load like that with TG hehe.

4 hours ago, mscott said:

My major load for the G17 was 6.8 WAC, 124 jhp, 1.145 oal. Gave me 172 pf

Did the 6.8g of autocomp pretty much fill the case and the bullet just rested on top?    Thank you for looking in your black book for me, appreciate it.

10 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

HS6 and WAC/CFE are quite different in burn rate (more than a grain of additional powder for HS6 generally). I would recommend HS6 above most anything else. Lots of people like sil, power pistol, AA7, 3n37 3n38... There are lots of choices. I would not recommend the VV powders for the short OALs you require though, as those loads are extremely compressed and can actually grow just sitting on the shelf.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Now I'm all screwed up because , you said the burn rates are different and WAC/CFE were on the edge, but  according to this hs6 is faster burning. "mind scrambled like eggs"

http://www.wwpowder.com/PDF/Burn Rates - 2015-2016.pdf

Edited by jtrump

I have a pair G 34'S  I've been running  4 years now. KKM barrels. 124 gr RN  over 7.6 gr HS-6 , OAL 1.145 to 1.150 .... I've used a 4 and 6 port comp , But the SJC 11 port comp is the flattest for me. WAC is the other go to powder.  I run Acme  Hi Tek  coated bullets .

8 hours ago, jtrump said:

Now I'm all screwed up because , you said the burn rates are different and WAC/CFE were on the edge, but  according to this hs6 is faster burning. "mind scrambled like eggs"

http://www.wwpowder.com/PDF/Burn Rates - 2015-2016.pdf

Which is why you always look for a consensus here as opposed to one or two differing opinions. Don't let it scramble your brain, just keep reading and compiling advice. There is a reason you see so many WAC loads. It works great for a whole bunch of 9MAJOR shooters.

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

Which is why you always look for a consensus here as opposed to one or two differing opinions. Don't let it scramble your brain, just keep reading and compiling advice. There is a reason you see so many WAC loads. It works great for a whole bunch of 9MAJOR shooters.

Yes lots of good advice here..  I'm still on the fence about trying wac or going straight to hs6. 

12 hours ago, ickus said:

I have a pair G 34'S  I've been running  4 years now. KKM barrels. 124 gr RN  over 7.6 gr HS-6 , OAL 1.145 to 1.150 .... I've used a 4 and 6 port comp , But the SJC 11 port comp is the flattest for me. WAC is the other go to powder.  I run Acme  Hi Tek  coated bullets .

Do you have powder pouring out of the top with the hs6?   7.6 with a 124RN coated, a FMJ would need a little more umph.

4 hours ago, jtrump said:

Do you have powder pouring out of the top with the hs6?   7.6 with a 124RN coated, a FMJ would need a little more umph.

No, maybe 3/4 full...  I have learn'ed to place the bullet as shell plate is advancing to avoid spilling, back when I used SR 7625 witch was slightly compress'ed. I do prefer WAC 6.6gr . ya know you shouldn't  take my word for  load data. work up your loads and crono. 

3 hours ago, ickus said:

No, maybe 3/4 full...  I have learn'ed to place the bullet as shell plate is advancing to avoid spilling, back when I used SR 7625 witch was slightly compress'ed. I do prefer WAC 6.6gr . ya know you shouldn't  take my word for  load data. work up your loads and crono. 

I know proper reloading methods as far as working up my loads and starting points etc.   I just have never loaded open major and am looking for a consensus of most widely used powder, some people's load data to refer to when I chrono and some advice I've learned such as stepped brass etc.

Wac seems to be pretty popular, I'm still on the fence between 115/124g and  wac/hs-6.

HS6 is slower than WAC/CFE, that chart is off. I would put it down by 3n38. HS6 is also very dense. You could probably fit 11 grains of it in a 9mm case.

Sarge, I never have said it doesn't work for people. I'm saying that lots of those people probably haven't tried anything slower. And I'm also saying that the vast majority of issues people have with 9 major, are had with WAC. Look at your primers, compared to someone shooting a slower powder. Less flattening, less pressure, fewer blown out cases.

I'm using Hs6 at 8.2 gr and 124 gr precision delta Bullets,not compressed and get me right at 169-170 in stock Trubor no holes..My gun works for me. I tried wac,, and a friend had 24 lbs of hs6 at ridiculous price,that made my mind up..

after it gone who knows!

Edited by EEH

3 hours ago, jtrump said:

I know proper reloading methods as far as working up my loads and starting points etc.   I just have never loaded open major and am looking for a consensus of most widely used powder, some people's load data to refer to when I chrono and some advice I've learned such as stepped brass etc.

Wac seems to be pretty popular, I'm still on the fence between 115/124g and  wac/hs-6.

FWIW *supposedly*  HS6 separates itself better with 115's compared to 124's. But I have tried HS6 in both and just didn't see enough "oh wow" to leave WAC.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 4:11 PM, Gooldylocks said:

HS6 is slower than WAC/CFE, that chart is off. I would put it down by 3n38. HS6 is also very dense. You could probably fit 11 grains of it in a 9mm case.

Sarge, I never have said it doesn't work for people. I'm saying that lots of those people probably haven't tried anything slower. And I'm also saying that the vast majority of issues people have with 9 major, are had with WAC. Look at your primers, compared to someone shooting a slower powder. Less flattening, less pressure, fewer blown out cases.

Don't agree, two slides that cracked (small sample I know0 both with HS-6 loads.

No real problems with WAC.

Honestly think it was the junk STI slides that they wouldn't warranty

I just chronoed my latest loads for my G17 open gun yesterday using HS6. 7.8 grains made major at 169PF with a 115 grain Acme coated RN bullet while 8.0 pushed me to 172PF with an SD of 18fps. This is out of a Lone Wolf barrel loaded at 1.140. 

JTrump. Welcome to 9 major and all the fun. I currently run an Infinity 9 but when I started I built a 34 myself with mostly Carver & SJC parts. I used the Lone Wolf barrel as well with a SJC 11 port. I run MG JHP's so I had to send it back for machining to accept a little longer OAL. 

Initially I was unsure of which powder I wanted to use so I acquired 1 lb each of WAC, 3N37, HS-6, 3N38, and AA#7. I also tested each with 115's & 124's. I kept OAL at 1.140 as per Steves advice at SJC. All these powders worked well but all have different characteristics. I also took into consideration other factors such as how well it meters, ease of loading, cleanliness, etc.

Powders:

WAC did everything pretty well. Easy to load and consistent velocities & SD's. Affordable and readily available. Little more "hit" in the hand for me but I know a lot of guys who run it & love it. 

3N37 felt almost identical to WAC. 

HS-6 shot better for me and still met all my criteria. Only downside was it was a little dirty but not so bad as to be a deal breaker. 

3N38. The Mack daddy. Fantastic shooting. On the expensive side but I was ok with it. My only gripe was the case volume. Very full and requires a good bit of care when loading. This was my winner when I ran the Glock using 124's. Don't remember charge weight off the top of my head but it was @ 168-169 PF. If I ever go to a 38 this will definitely be my go-to.

AA#7. Shot and felt very similar to 3N38. Powder is more dense so loading was easier. Affordable. Downside is it is on the dirty side bordering on filthy. I didn't run enough to cause trouble but didn't want to chance it. 

Bullets: 

For me the 115's always shot a bit flatter but slightly harsher. With the 124's it seemed like the dot movement was a bit more consistent and predictable. Personal preference. 

Brass:

I'm a bit OCD and although some people don't , I do sort my brass. Just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. Anything stepped or iffy goes in the scrap bucket. Win, GFL, Rem, & Blazer are abundant in the lots of used brass I buy. I use these for major and the rest go into the minor / SC bucket. I don't load used Starline for major. My thought is that it has probably been loaded in major and used for practice before it was discarded. 

Currently in my SV I'm running 8.6g of HS-6 with MG 115 JHP's. Makes @ 175 PF although I personally wouldn't push a Glock that hard. Thinking of switching to 124's but want to test a lot first. The HS-6 does everything well and is the best compromise of all conditions for me. 

This is just my person opinion and I'm sure there are people who think differently. 

Good luck and remember to have spare chrono batteries.