Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who does porting or popple holes for an open gun?

rlrock

Rich, your gas pedals are mounted in a way that will probably cause you grief. You need to use 3 short screws to secure your optic mount direct to the frame. 

The long screws through the *thumb rest [generic]* will 'clamp' the optic mount, but this isn't enough to keep the mount from rocking under the forces of recoil.  

Also, I see that your *thumb rest [generic]* is mounted in the back position - I just changed to this back position a month ago and all I can say is wow. Much, much better control of gun - really hard to believe how much better. Same screw pattern for this position - 2 long screws at front and back of *thumb rest [generic]*, the 3 short screws in the remaining holes. 

GasPedal1.JPG

GasPedal2.JPG

1 hour ago, racer-x said:

Rich, your gas pedals are mounted in a way that will probably cause you grief. You need to use 3 short screws to secure your optic mount direct to the frame. 

The long screws through the *thumb rest [generic]* will 'clamp' the optic mount, but this isn't enough to keep the mount from rocking under the forces of recoil.  

Also, I see that your *thumb rest [generic]* is mounted in the back position - I just changed to this back position a month ago and all I can say is wow. Much, much better control of gun - really hard to believe how much better. Same screw pattern for this position - 2 long screws at front and back of *thumb rest [generic]*, the 3 short screws in the remaining holes. 

GasPedal1.JPG

GasPedal2.JPG

Thank you! I was wondering why my dot was off center. This makes sense and was overlooked by me!

1 hour ago, abb1 said:

Thank you! I was wondering why my dot was off center. This makes sense and was overlooked by me!

If you have a Cheely mount it's offset (to the left) on purpose, to provide additional clearance for the ejected brass.  Others may do it too. It works fine, not a problem.

2 hours ago, abb1 said:

Using 3 short screws & 2 long ones as I illustrated shouldn't have any effect on your dot being off center.

If you are only using 1 short screw, the optic mount will be able to rock on the axis of that 1 short screw under recoil.

The end result is that your dot will be in a slightly different place (up-down) for each shot.

Here is an example of the vertical stringing of shots using just 1 short screw. Same gun put 5 shots on 1 paster at 20 yards after changing to 3 short screws & 2 long.

vertical_string_group.JPG

Yeah, this makes total sense! Unfortunately, I only have three screws holding my mount in place and two holding the thumbrest, so it looks like the solution is not an option for me. Damn it, who needs a thumb rest anyways......... :(

tr.jpg

Edited by abb1

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:52 AM, racer-x said:

GasPedal1.JPG

GasPedal2.JPG

Thanks for the help! I changed one over but have to get shorter screws for the other. I've always had problems with the mount/pedal shaking loose, even with red Loctite. 

I will let you know how I fare.

1 hour ago, rlrock said:

Thanks for the help! I changed one over but have to get shorter screws for the other. I've always had problems with the mount/pedal shaking loose, even with red Loctite. 

I will let you know how I fare.

Your welcome.

You can use a Dremel and cutoff wheel to size the screws perfectly. I like to start with longer screws here anyway so I can have the maximum amount of thread surface and screw ends perfectly flush with inside of frame.

The key to get the screws to hold is getting the threads in your frame and on screws 100% clean first.

90% or higher isopropyl alcohol works great for this. Dip small pieces of paper towel in the alcohol and then thread it in/out of each hole. Follow up with tight fitting dry pieces. For the screws, thread them into an alcohol soaked paper towel applying pressure to threads with your finger nails. Repeat with a dry paper towel.

• 4 months later...
On 9/15/2017 at 10:55 AM, racer-x said:

You can use a Dremel and cutoff wheel to size the screws perfectly. I like to start with longer screws here anyway so I can have the maximum amount of thread surface and screw ends perfectly flush with inside of frame.

Have you found a supply of longer screws that attach sight mounts to an Open gun?

I suspect that they're some kind of standard cap screws, but don't know the thread size...  or bevel under the head...  or where to get them...  Would like to get some with a star bit instead of the standard allen/hex bit.

24 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Have you found a supply of longer screws that attach sight mounts to an Open gun?

I suspect that they're some kind of standard cap screws, but don't know the thread size...  or bevel under the head...  or where to get them...  Would like to get some with a star bit instead of the standard allen/hex bit.

If you just google 5-40 flathead machine screw you can buy 100 for less than 10 bucks. That’s for stainlesssince that what I use on chrome guns