Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Bullet weight for 9mm Production

MatchShooterSupply

On 9/14/2017 at 10:55 AM, Ck867 said:

I've been using 147gr with my stock 2 but it's pure preference. 

+1 

125's feel a little snappy to me. I think the longer 147's might also be more consistent with the cheap range brass that I use, but this is pure speculation based upon just one specific gun/shooter/group of test loads. If you have a fussy gun you might find that a longer bullet makes it easier to set to the oal that gives you the most reliable feeding. 

There are those who say that the heavier bullet will do a better job knocking down steel at a given power factor, I do not know if this has ever been proven.

For what it is worth just chrono'd some loads that fly well in my stock 2 yesterday. 147 SNS rn, 3.0 titegroup, 1.12 oal, 900 fps. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2017 at 12:20 AM, stick said:

I run 147's over 124's because for me 124's were perceived to had more snap and 147's were more of a push allowing me to return the sights on target faster.

I should try running 147s in my shadow. I bought a box of 500 and haven't bothered to load them up yet

I run 145 grain Bayou Bullets. I've tried various weights and prefer the 145/147. My personal opinion is the 145 has a slower, pushing recoil that keeps the sights flatter. The 115 and 124 was a snappier and faster recoil that I felt moved the sights more, but brought them back faster as well. For me it was shoot a bunch of each and decide what I liked, in my case it was the slower but flatter movement.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 12:37 AM, TMcGowan said:

I like 135's in my Shadows.  A little snappier than a 147, a little easier to make minor than 125's.  

135s for me as well in Shadow and Accu-Shadow in Production.  Same with XDM I have set up for CO.  So pretty much all 135 for minor loads.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2017 at 8:50 PM, DVC502 said:

I just stick to 124 for production and SS 

On 12/22/2017 at 9:46 PM, GARD72977 said:

I love 124gr when I run out I love 115gr

What are you guys loading under those pills?  I just bought a bunch of 115s but also have 124s for my Open 9mm Major.  I started loading 9mm again for carry optics.

I think the real answer is

It doesn't actually matter. I know some bullets feel better at the bench than others, I will admit that some newer shooters do better with the quieter blast from heavier bullets but that is a minority. But measured with a timer under match conditions I would be very surprised to see any difference actually show up for the majority of shooters.