Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Bullet weight for 9mm Production

MatchShooterSupply

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several months ago I switched from 124 to 115 for steel challenge matches. I liked the feeling of the lighter bullets recoil so I stayed with it for production.  It seems that the sights return quicker but everyone has different opinions so pick one and forget it. Training is more important. 

I said this to someone in the open gun forum wondering about switching bullet weight. This is what I think of the whole bullet thing: 

Haven't we already had this conversation? 115s. There are tinkerers and there are shooters. Don't be a tinkerer. Get something that works, and don't mess around trying to find the holy grail. Just load a bunch of them and practice practice practice.

That might sound really blunt, but if your goals are to get better at this game then the first key is to realize that none of it matters. Just choose something and shoot a lot. It makes no difference whatsoever.

If those aren't your goals (which is completely fine, just something to be aware of about yourself) then go ahead and tinker and play with loads and try to find the perfect thing for you. It will be a fun journey to figure it out. Everyone gets enjoyment out of these games in different ways, and that is fine. Do what provides you the most fun. 

17 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

I said this to someone in the open gun forum wondering about switching bullet weight. This is what I think of the whole bullet thing: 

That might sound really blunt, but if your goals are to get better at this game then the first key is to realize that none of it matters. Just choose something and shoot a lot. It makes no difference whatsoever.

If those aren't your goals (which is completely fine, just something to be aware of about yourself) then go ahead and tinker and play with loads and try to find the perfect thing for you. It will be a fun journey to figure it out. Everyone gets enjoyment out of these games in different ways, and that is fine. Do what provides you the most fun. 

So much wisdom, for such a young man. 

Maybe I'm not in tune enough with my gun, but I couldn't tell a difference between 124's and 148's loaded to the same PF.  As long as the load makes PF, has a small SD over 20 rounds, and is accurate, that's good enough for me.  Although I will say you usually get more 124's for the money.  ;)

Doesn't matter -- once you can call your shots.  I started with 115s, switched to 147s when everyone was trying them around 2002/2003, to the point of stopping at Star in Indianapolis to pick up 25,000 heads on my way to Nationals.  Learned how to call my shots with 147s, ran out at some point and had 8,000 125gr. heads lying around from an abandoned open gun project, started shooting those.  Slide cycles a smidge faster, gun snaps up and down a bit sharper, but the front sight lands back in the notch....

I like the feel of the gun (Glock 34) with 125s now.  If I had to go back to 115s or 147s, I doubt I'd really notice the differences, especially on a stage.  During practice, maybe.... 

I generally gravitate towards the middle of the spectrum.  My pistol did not like 115s (accuracy), so I used 124s for almost everything.  Response was snappier and quicker than with the 147s.  I used 147s for steel that had to fall and pin matches. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2017 at 11:48 PM, enzo357 said:

I really like 135s. Flat but still fast. 

Second this. Easy to make PF, accurate enough in my Glock 34s and Shadows. 

Plus if you cant decide between 124 and 147...the 135s are in the middle. 

Edited by Dutchman195