Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considering a P18.9, thoughts?

346ci

I've been shooting a M&P Pro 5" with an Apex trigger kit, gun is fast and accurate. I borrowed a friends RIA double stack 9mm and like the feel and how it shoots. I'd like to have a STI Edge and can get one for $1750 but only comes with one mag. I figured I could get into the game a little cheaper with a Para and found a very clean P18.9 pro custom(ion bond finish) with 2 mags for $1425. I offered $1200 and still think that is a little high.

What do you think as the P18.9 as a starter gun? This would be a big change for me going to a 1911 style pistol.

Thanks

CDNN was blowing them out the door some time ago (summer 2015) for $989.99.

And prior to that there was a point where you could have picked one up for around $895 if I remember correctly.

Edited by ddc
corrected pricing

I don't have any personal experience with the Remington 1911's but the new R1 Limited seems to be a rebranded 18.9 Pro Custom. I'm not sure about the quality of small parts they are using now, but it looks like they are still using EGW extractors and hammers.  Looks like street price on a R1 Limited is $1100.  I think I would be looking hard at one those instead of the Para at that price. Any part that was cheap or failed you would just replace with a higher end part anyway.   FWIW I own and compete with a PC 18.9 and a PC 16.40 so I really like the guns.

It's not a big change switching to the double stack.  Yes the grip is bigger but all the same muscle memory skills are the same. 

1 hour ago, telecat said:

I don't have any personal experience with the Remington 1911's but the new R1 Limited seems to be a rebranded 18.9 Pro Custom. I'm not sure about the quality of small parts they are using now, but it looks like they are still using EGW extractors and hammers.  Looks like street price on a R1 Limited is $1100.  I think I would be looking hard at one those instead of the Para at that price. Any part that was cheap or failed you would just replace with a higher end part anyway.   FWIW I own and compete with a PC 18.9 and a PC 16.40 so I really like the guns.

It's not a big change switching to the double stack.  Yes the grip is bigger but all the same muscle memory skills are the same. 

Thanks, I'm going to go with the Para as it looks to be in mint condition. If it doesn't work out, can sell it and keep shooting the M&P.

It will be used for steel challenge type shoots, what would you recommend as the first mods? Trigger?

You can't go wrong there!  On mine, I had the extractor tuned, feed ramp polished, I replaced my factory sear with an EGW and had a trigger job done to 2#'s.  I originally put in a flat gun craft trigger but have since switched to an SVI billet grip trigger. I'm running a 9# recoil spring in my 9mm with low minor power factor loads an 12# in the .40.  Both guns set up the same.  

I'd say shoot it and see if it gives you any trouble first and fix those issues.  Probably polish the feed ramp, a trigger job, check extractor tension and then go bang away with it!!  When these guns are set up they will run like champs!

19 hours ago, 346ci said:

Thanks, I'm going to go with the Para as it looks to be in mint condition. If it doesn't work out, can sell it and keep shooting the M&P.

It will be used for steel challenge type shoots, what would you recommend as the first mods? Trigger?

I'm also shooting an 18.9.  Telecat is right, polish the ramp, EGW sear & a trigger job on mine were my first mods too.  I'm using a flat trigger, 18lb mainspring and 11lb recoil for factory WW 115gr ammo for steel.  MBX mags and I have a couple of SPS mags with TT baseplates, springs, and followers.  Both work fine.

33 minutes ago, rtl said:

I'm also shooting an 18.9.  Telecat is right, polish the ramp, EGW sear & a trigger job on mine were my first mods too.  I'm using a flat trigger, 18lb mainspring and 11lb recoil for factory WW 115gr ammo for steel.  MBX mags and I have a couple of SPS mags with TT baseplates, springs, and followers.  Both work fine.

+1

I am a Para fan.  I own several.  That being said, Remington R1 Limited is available now which is a high cap 1911.  It should be a series 80 gun.  Running at just over 1K on Gunbroker presently.  The RIA is a good value at about $700.  Mags will be expensive but the Remington option may change that.  Just food for thought.

Just saw this:

Edited by dogtired