Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I shot my first USPSA match in February 2017 and was immediately bit by the bug that is competitive pistol shooting. I wanted to start a match log that shows the progress (if any) and all the other useful information that comes from self and outside evaluation to push me forward in this sport. I appreciate any and all feedback, critique, recommendations, etc. I am now coming up on shooting my 10th match this Saturday 9/9/17'.

USPSA# A101894

Here is my video from my first ever USPSA match (this is super hard to watch :()

Edited by chaserracer
updated info

Match #5 - This was what i consider the turning point for me as a new shooter/competitor. I was only now realizing that there is a difference between goos and bad practice. This was also the first time i had the realization that dryfire can and will work as long as you are willing to do the work

Latest video from match #10. Unfortunately I fell short of my goal of finishing inside the top 5.  (finished 5th Production)

LOTS of silly mistakes that cost me valuable points and placement in this match. I'm having a hard time "changing gears" during stages where im rushing through or hosing the easy targets and then come up on far steel or difficult partials. I cant seem to switch off my mind from going fast (or trying at least) to slowing down long enough to get a good sight picture and trigger pull when its needed. The 4 Misses in this match i think cost me my 3rd-4th place finish after looking at the results.

Also, in practice my reloads are roughly 1.0 Sec about 95% of the time and the last couple matches i have seriously bobbled some reloads...I don't know what it is but its really frustrating to have that happen when it counts and then in practice when it doesn't matter not have to worry about it at all. Not really sure how to cure that one..time and experience i guess.

Some highlights (i guess) were coming as close as i have yet to getting a stage win. I was less than 1/2 % off the stage win on stage 5 and 9% off the stage win on the classifier.

• 2 weeks later...

Match #11 video. Another sub-par result again falling short of my goals. Oddly enough i felt alot better about the shooting and moving side of things from this match compared to my previous ones. The hits and movement was there, i just had 2 really bad stages littered with mental mistakes that cost me valuable points.

Stage 4 - Forgot/couldn't see/lost count of the early steel portion of the stage - then saw the missed steel out of my peripheral which really threw me causing me to miss a completely open target in the 2nd to last array. These mistakes resulted in 1 mike, a procedural plus 2 mikes in the end and dropped me to 15th place on this stage.

Stage 5 - I didn't read the instructions on the classifier stage and without knowing it engaged the steel from the incorrect side of the barricade resulting in a procedural and mike and as a result put me into 14th on the stage. I was able to re-shoot the classifier for my own satisfaction but that score obviously didn't count towards the match result.

All in all i learned alot shooting this match and i feel like a breakthrough is still on the horizon if i can keep consistently dryfiring and attending matches on a regular basis.

Edited by chaserracer
spelling

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Match #13 in the books. Not perfect but definitely starting to feel a little more consistently comfortable behind the gun during a match. I need to speed it up to be competitive with the top shooters at the club though. Always a work in progress.

• 3 weeks later...